Summer vs Winter tires

• That's cryptic... like asking a Swami for a palm reading!

So my friend - what SHOULD I consider considering I'm going to boost Ruby???

Not going to hold you accountable for your advice - just your honest opinion would be appreciated!

I'm sure with your summer performance tires, in 70 degree weather, you have no problem breaking the rear end loose if you want. Now, throw 100+ more HP at it with those same tires.

I still have my same Nitto 555 g2's on mine after all of my changes and I might as well have the stock kenda's or bicycle tires, even after heating them up, there is no traction.

I'm not sure what I'm going to go with for my next tire, but I realize one thing, they will be soft, and have to be swapped pretty regularly, since they won't last very long, even without spinning them on purpose too much. I probably have another 5k miles on my tires before I have to swap them, so it will likely be later this summer, once I get ready to do that, I'll start my research.

While at the homecoming last year, I got to ride with Harvey and was impressed with the tires he was running, but I forgot to write them down, so I'm curious about what he has. Bu11sh1t care to share?

Slingrazor also has a lot of opinions on tires, he warned me about the 555's and I should have listened :)

• I now run summer tires all of the time, I do not even buy anything else. So far I have run 6 different tires on the rear of my Slingshot. The Nitto 555 G2 is the worst of all of them. Both BFG's are next the summer and the combination. The stock Kenda is a lot better than what a lot of people believe and the physical tread width (what meets the road) is up to one inch wider or better than anything else I have found. Most manufacturers do not list this. Right now I have 3 different brands mounted for the rear. The Nitto (worse of all) The Riken Raptor ZR, I do not think they make any more, as the best I have run, front and the rears. I bought a spare when I found out how good it was. The next best is the Nexen N 7000 Plus. I bought one for Summer Breeze and he did not like it because of the tread depth making it feel squirely, but with some wear on it he now likes the traction of it. Number 2 on my list. I buy ZR rated summer tires with what I think is a good wet pavement tread. And that is my 2 cent on this subject.

• That is more of a track tire than anything else

Ah, so it is, damn. At least from Discount tire, I have a couple of Nitto choices, the Toyo Extensa HP 2, which is an all season tire or the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, which is a good summer tire from what I've read, but it's $100 more than the Toyo R888 and $150 more than the 555. I'm not opposed to spending more, but want to make sure it's a good tire for my uses before I do spend it.

Thanks for the info FunCycle

• Oone thing I wonder about is my location - - being in a place where "winter" average daily highs are in the 70's and summer highs are well into the 100's makes me think that a tires traction here might be very different than in other locations in the country

Around here in the summer our pavement temps are extremely high - don't even think about walking your dog in the day time - its feet would be badly injured and in the winter our pavement temps are probably not much different than what a summer tire is designed for

FunCycle you say that the 555 G2 has been a disappointment for you - do you think that would hold true here in the desert with my driving temperature range? I have been pretty happy with the Nitto Motivo but was thinking I might try the 555 on the rear until I started having second thoughts after hearing you have been saying.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Oone thing I wonder about is my location - - being in a place where "winter" average daily highs are in the 70's and summer highs are well into the 100's makes me think that a tires traction here might be very different than in other locations in the country

Around here in the summer our pavement temps are extremely high - don't even think about walking your dog in the day time - its feet would be badly injured and in the winter our pavement temps are probably not much different than what a summer tire is designed for

FunCycle you say that the 555 G2 has been a disappointment for you - do you think that would hold true here in the desert with my driving temperature range? I have been pretty happy with the Nitto Motivo but was thinking I might try the 555 on the rear until I started having second thoughts after hearing you have been saying.

NA and I can spin the 555 anytime I want to on a hot summer day or in the winter. I would not have bought it to start with but I was in Bristol and I did not have to order. The tire that I had on the Sling was not going to survive the week.

• I now run summer tires all of the time, I do not even buy anything else. So far I have run 6 different tires on the rear of my Slingshot. The Nitto 555 G2 is the worst of all of them. Both BFG's are next the summer and the combination. The stock Kenda is a lot better than what a lot of people believe and the physical tread width (what meets the road) is up to one inch wider or better than anything else I have found. Most manufacturers do not list this. Right now I have 3 different brands mounted for the rear. The Nitto (worse of all) The Riken Raptor ZR, I do not think they make any more, as the best I have run, front and the rears. I bought a spare when I found out how good it was. The next best is the Nexen N 7000 Plus. I bought one for Summer Breeze and he did not like it because of the tread depth making it feel squirely, but with some wear on it he now likes the traction of it. Number 2 on my list. I buy ZR rated summer tires with what I think is a good wet pavement tread. And that is my 2 cent on this subject.

eagle GTs are a soft compound tire..

traction comes with soft compounds...the trade off is a short life span...Goodyear makes tires for race cars....they have to be soft..

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Soft%20Compound

• this is pretty interesting....

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog…-have-less-than-you-think

I never really thought about soft winter tire compound for traction on snow...

also it looks like soft compound racing tires have very little tread depth....

if I am correct in my understanding the tread of the tire is primarily there to allow water a way out from under the tire so that it does not form a layer between the rubber and the road and interfere with traction as such on a perfectly dry race track the need for deep grooves / tread in the tire is not there - minimal tread and more rubber in contact is what matters - - go look at the Nitto site and look at their competition tires - - the tread is almost nonexistent - Nitto Competition tires

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I have the Nitto 555 G2 also on the rear and would have to agree with ability to spin that FunCycle talked about. Gets really slippery in the fall / spring when temps are still cool. thinking about going with an all season tire vs summer time next time and was looking at the BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S. Anyone using that for an all season tire on the rear?

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I have the Nitto 555 G2 also on the rear and would have to agree with ability to spin that FunCycle talked about. Gets really slippery in the fall / spring when temps are still cool. thinking about going with an all season tire vs summer time next time and was looking at the BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S. Anyone using that for an all season tire on the rear?

I used both of them BFG and did not like either one (summer and the AS) but a lot better than the 555

• some of those really soft compound tires only have 4/32” tread depth....the wear bars show up at 2/32”....not much wear on a third like that...

you need to take into account your riding temperature range when deciding on tires....if you don’t normally drive under 50 degrees you get this one.....if you’re going to be driving at lower temps you need this one....

• frankly I wonder about tire compounds and tire wear - - they say a harder compound will last longer - my Motivo has a UTQG treadwear rating of 560 - this is pretty high for a high performance tire and it should last longer than a tire with a rating of 200, but I suspect that these ratings are based on normal wear of a rolling tire - - where I have questions is about wear if the harder compound has less grip and therefore spins more easily and more often

If the softer tire does not break free when I punch it but the harder tire does will the spinning cause the harder tire to actually wear out at a much faster rate than the UTQG number would imply?????

does this seem logical to you?

• frankly I wonder about tire compounds and tire wear - - they say a harder compound will last longer - my Motivo has a UTQG treadwear rating of 560 - this is pretty high for a high performance tire and it should last longer than a tire with a rating of 200, but I suspect that these ratings are based on normal wear of a rolling tire - - where I have questions is about wear if the harder compound has less grip and therefore spins more easily and more often

If the softer tire does not break free when I punch it but the harder tire does will the spinning cause the harder tire to actually wear out at a much faster rate than the UTQG number would imply?????

does this seem logical to you?

These numbers only relate to that tire brand, they are ot equal from Brand to Brand

• These numbers only relate to that tire brand, they are ot equal from Brand to Brand

not 100% equal across brands, but designed by the department of transportation to be close enough to compare brands - - even if it did not work at all across brands my question still stands - does spinning a tire negate its higher tread wear rating and if its harder is it more likely to spin more often than a softer tire?

"UTQG" stands for "Uniform Tire Quality Grading". A system developed by the Department of Transportation, which helps consumers compare and rate tires on tread wear, traction, and temperature.

• not 100% equal across brands, but designed by the department of transportation to be close enough to compare brands - - even if it did not work at all across brands my question still stands - does spinning a tire negate its higher tread wear rating and if its harder is it more likely to spin more often than a softer tire?

"UTQG" stands for "Uniform Tire Quality Grading". A system developed by the Department of Transportation, which helps consumers compare and rate tires on tread wear, traction, and temperature.

The harder the rubber compound the easier it is to spin, kind of like the NITTO 555. The type of tread can also make a difference.