Summer vs Winter tires

• I'm considering getting a new set of wheels for Ruby. If I did this, I would transfer my summer tires (Cooper Zeon RS3-S) to the new rims, and probably next November get a set of winter / All weather tires installed on the old rims. I've noticed that the summer tire performance really falls off when the temps drop below 50 F. 8|

IF I do this, it would be a considerable expense. I'd like to know if anyone else is switching up their rubber for cold weather driving, what all-weather tires you are using, and how that has worked for you. Not adverse to spending the $$$ for good performance and safety - but not willing to go this far just for appearance. There has to be some real performance and control gains in it for me.

I'm considering THESE rims, by the way:

New wheels.png

Let me know your thoughts...

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Spring --- warm air in tires and change the 'blinker fluid' … Might also check to see if some one has but graded wheels and get a second set of OEM wheels --- generally pretty cheap and than just change the tires. Check with Mitch a RevDynamics in Northern Indiana. Going to Michigan you will be very close to his shop.

• on your slingshot of family car?

• I’ve been caught in the rain many times.....I don’t drive it in the winter and I don’t even drive it if the road is wet in front of my house.....and I’m basically a fair weather rider...

you’re not going to be driving in snow right...but you could be driving in temps under 50?

• I’ve been caught in the rain many times.....I don’t drive it in the winter and I don’t even drive it if the road is wet in front of my house.....and I’m basically a fair weather rider...

you’re not going to be driving in snow right...but you could be driving in temps under 50?

No - I wouldn't drive in the snow, only have a few snow storms a year here in the Ozarks anyway - and then its reeeeal scary. No one around here knows how to drive on the white stuff. I've heard local winter driving described as: Drunk pigs on ice. We also live atop Round Mountain - very difficult to get down off the hill with an AWD SUV - wouldn't think of trying it with a sling.

I DO drive a lot in cold weather. Winter temps down to 15 F are not a problem for me comfort wise, as long as the trip is under 2 hours or so. That said, the grip of the Coopers goes waaaay down when temps are below 50 F. Drover Ruby in the rain at about 40 F the other day - it was a real thrill ride - NOT the kind I like!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• from hearing the many spin out stories I limit my exposure to inclement weather ....

aggressive driving in certain weather conditions with any tire could be a problem. Knowing certain tire compounds can have different temperature reactions you would need a different tire for every month.

since I’m a slightly aggressive driver once in a while...and 99% of my driving will occur at temps above 50 on dry roads, I’m staying with a performance tire.

• right now I am running Nitto Motivo's both front and rear - the motivo is rated as an ultra high performance all season tire - - when compared the the kendas that came on the slingshot I have not noticed any loss of traction or noticeable trade off in not running a summer tire - I have noticed that on wet roads they do seem to do much better than the kendas did - Anyway where I am going with telling you this is to ask if you have considered a second option to switching between summer and all season tires all the way around to instead running all seasons like the Motivo's on the front and then only change out the rear between summer and all season?

when it comes time to replace my rear I am considering going back to a summer tire - I love the motivo's on the front and they work great all year round for me here in the desert, but I do think I might do better with a sticker tire on the back for improved traction under acceleration - - I am not seeing the increase in mileage / lack of wear I had hoped for on the back so its made me think

anyway just some food for thought - much less of an investment to only switch the rear tire with the seasons and with your soon to be new turbo you will probably be changing the back regularly anyway 8o

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• right now I am running Nitto Motivo's both front and rear - the motivo is rated as an ultra high performance all season tire - - when compared the the kendas that came on the slingshot I have not noticed any loss of traction or noticeable trade off in not running a summer tire - I have noticed that on wet roads they do seem to do much better than the kendas did - Anyway where I am going with telling you this is to ask if you have considered a second option to switching between summer and all season tires all the way around to instead running all seasons like the Motivo's on the front and then only change out the rear between summer and all season?

when it comes time to replace my rear I am considering going back to a summer tire - I love the motivo's on the front and they work great all year round for me here in the desert, but I do think I might do better with a sticker tire on the back for improved traction under acceleration - - I am not seeing the increase in mileage / lack of wear I had hoped for on the back so its made me think

anyway just some food for thought - much less of an investment to only switch the rear tire with the seasons and with your soon to be new turbo you will probably be changing the back regularly anyway 8o

is that tire a low profile tire? Looking at the pictures it doesn’t look like low profile..

• is that tire a low profile tire? Looking at the pictures it doesn’t look like low profile..

the Motivos I am running are the exact same size as the stock kendas / same profile. 255 35 20 in the back, 225 45 18's up front

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I never change from summer tires but I am on the coast of South Carolina. One of our friends on here about 4 months ago and at around 15 degrees wished he had. He lost it in the crooked roads and rolled his Sling and had some severe injuries. He told me that the summer tires were like bricks and chunks had been knocked out of the tires. I do need to check up on him.

• tires heat up when driving from friction.....I can watch my tire temps going up with my FOBOBIKE tire pressure monitors....The rear more than the front.

obviously there is a big change that takes place with the different tire compounds and lower temperatures. Sounds like some get brittle at low temps....not a good scenario....

but 15 degrees is pretty cold especially if it sustains..what kind of tires do they use in North Dakota?