What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• I wanted to touch on some of @daves points.

Brembo Advantages -

Pedal feel will be better - The stock piston area of the stock caliper is 3.04 sq/in. The Brembo's have a total area of 4.37 sq/in and the Honda Wilwood has a total of 8.24 sq/in. Piston area determines the amount of force applied along with the amount of volume needed to move the pistons. The higher the piston area, the more volume needed to move them, but a higher force is applied. The Brembos are going to give a much more similar pedal travel to the stock setup compared to the ZZP. Both kits are fixed caliper setups that remove the slider pins and will give better pedal feel than stock anyway.

I'm not sure how he's justifying saying that the pedal feel will be better with brembo, while also saying it will feel similar to stock.... Stock pedal feel is absolute trash. Larger piston volume gives the driver much more leverage against the brakes, reducing the required pedal force for a given stopping force, while also making them easier to manipulate (more resolution). The pedal travel on our kit vs the stock brakes is nearly identical but it works a lot better. The stock master cylinder is more than capable of moving the larger pistons of the Wilwoods because the actual caliper volume is smaller than the Brembo or the Wilwood Aero 4 calipers. This is why we work directly with the manufacturer of the calipers to ensure you are getting the most bang for the buck and components that will greatly improve stopping power without having to break the bank.

Larger diameter rotors and thicker. That gives the Brembo kit much higher thermal capability than the smaller than stock ZZP rotors.

Technically correct, but this isn't very applicable in this context. Almost no one is running their slingshot on a road course with 20+ minute sessions. And IF someone was, the pad selection is the first factor in the heat handling capacity

Larger pad volume - The larger pad volume of the Brembo kit will absorb more energy and prevent thermal shocking the pad much better than a smaller brake pad and have longer lifespan.

Again, this is simply a matter of selecting the correct pads. SFWD (Sport Front Wheel Drive) Hondas that are going 200+mph use a lot of brake, it's not all in the chute. The chute is only helping for about the first 50mph and they have no issues with rotors/calipers that fit under 15" wheels.

Caliper designed for rotor diameter - The ZZP kit is using a caliper designed for 10.3" rotors, but is using just under stock size rotors (11.6"ish), which keeps the rotor from fitting correctly into the caliper. Not a huge deal, it will work, but the Brembo kit is designed for that size rotor and has correct caliper and brake pad fitment.

If it fits without hitting anything, it fits. When talking exclusively about calipers that have pistons on both sides and the pads ride on pins the caliper and rotor are both locked in position.

Center of force - Because the diameter of the rotor is larger on the Brembo, the center of force for the brake pad is located further from the center of the axle. The further out, the more mechanical advantage the brake system has on braking force.

Yes, being farther from center WITH ALL ELSE EQUAL will increase braking force. Using this as a talking point as a benefit while earlier acknowledging that honda wilwood caliper has nearly DOUBLE the contact. It is deliberately disingenuous to focus only on distance from center as a benefit.

One of the things we do for all of the supported platforms at ZZP that is different from a lot of companies, we make parts and upgrades that are tuned specifically to that market and application and for what the masses are doing with that vehicle. Doing this allows us to come to the market with different kits that are generally at lower price points and more cost effective while still immensely improving the performance of that vehicle. We aren't out there trying to convince our customers to spend more than necessary for their given goal. If you think back to 2016, before ZZP entered the market, the cost of everything was a lot higher than it is now. Companies were charging $5k+ for a stage 1 turbo kit. We came out with a kit for $3k that had the same performance numbers. The other companies ended up following suit with pricing. We've done this with several products in the Slingshot platform and will continue to do so.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

Edited once, last by Kyle D ().

• No big deal but changed out the oil and filter today. And then a thought went through my mind…didn’t I just do that? Yes I did and not too long ago but that means we’re USING IT!:00008698:

Just for giggles I took a look at the throttlebody and I can see that more than likely in the next few thousand miles I’ll be cleaning it as well. It’s starting to get a little dirty at the 6 o’clock

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• No big deal but changed out the oil and filter today. And then a thought went through my mind…didn’t I just do that? Yes I did and not too long ago but that means we’re USING IT!:00008698:

Just for giggles I took a look at the throttlebody and I can see that more than likely in the next few thousand miles I’ll be cleaning it as well. It’s starting to get a little dirty at the 6 o’clock

101k and I never cleaned the throttle body. Are people just paranoid?

• I had 360K on a Pontiac Sunbird I believe it had the same engine you guys have and never cleaned the throttle body. It was a good engine one time it over heated in a part of town that you would not want to stop in. I kept driving it till the engine just quit. Locked the doors and waited till she cooled down and drove here out of there to where I could get water. That was at around 180K and I drove her to 360k and gave the car to a nephew who drove it a lot more.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• 101k and I never cleaned the throttle body. Are people just paranoid?

In my case no. I have a cold air intake and a K&N filter. I made a previous post where I was starting to stall out that stop signs. After cleaning the throttlebody all that went away. I’m just guessing here but I believe having the oiled filter added to the throttlebody getting gummed up over time. It’s a super easy thing to do and the sling is running night and day better than before .

• In my case no. I have a cold air intake and a K&N filter. I made a previous post where I was starting to stall out that stop signs. After cleaning the throttlebody all that went away. I’m just guessing here but I believe having the oiled filter added to the throttlebody getting gummed up over time. It’s a super easy thing to do and the sling is running night and day better than before .

Maybe ditch the k&n oil filter? Really no need to spend $$ extra for filters. As far as engine oil filters, I've always bought acdelco in bulk. Just bought 12 more. Engine is running top notch even after boosting. But I realize each owner has to do what makes them feel good. Love your traveling pics by the way.

• In my case no. I have a cold air intake and a K&N filter. I made a previous post where I was starting to stall out that stop signs. After cleaning the throttlebody all that went away. I’m just guessing here but I believe having the oiled filter added to the throttlebody getting gummed up over time. It’s a super easy thing to do and the sling is running night and day better than before .

And running better is what it's all about.

• A few weeks back now the rear wing really started to "squeak" it's always moved a lot but this sounded different. Yesterday on the way back from Denver getting gas I realized one of the mounting points was broken. Need to figure out where to get a new one, but for the time being and so I can ride going to try to epoxy it. Looked like pot metal and if it breaks again will get one of those aluminum brazing type rods to use with torch. Also figured since messing with it, I'd put some rubber between the mounts and the wing itself, maybe that'll stop the noise a bit and help with things. Going to give the epoxy a few hours before I put it back on, wife wants to go downtown for Cruise Nevada in the Springs.

Got my code reader from Dave@DDMWorks and it worked great to clear the CEL on buddy's sling from an audio install mishap. Think it would of cleared on his own after some more cycles, but this told us what it was and cleared it. I like it... live view on engine data is pretty cool too.

*edit*

Epoxy failed already... going to JB weld instead I guess.

• Maybe ditch the k&n oil filter? Really no need to spend $$ extra for filters. As far as engine oil filters, I've always bought acdelco in bulk. Just bought 12 more. Engine is running top notch even after boosting. But I realize each owner has to do what makes them feel good. Love your traveling pics by the way.

Pretty sure he was talking about his air filter being K&N, not his oil filter. K&N are an "oiled" type filter. If you are running a DDM supercharger you are running an aftermarket AEM "dry" type filter.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I don't think he's on here... but Pete a friend with the mountain lion custom hood sling stopped by and dropped me off a present. Just saw these popping up in a few new colors but couldn't find any - love it! I give out red ones to kids, but would love to find more of these to give out!

• Pretty sure he was talking about his air filter being K&N, not his oil filter. K&N are an "oiled" type filter. If you are running a DDM supercharger you are running an aftermarket AEM "dry" type filter.

Pretty sure he was talking about his air filter being K&N, not his oil filter. K&N are an "oiled" type filter. If you are running a DDM supercharger you are running an aftermarket AEM "dry" type filter.

Yes I know air filter that's why specifically said oil filter. But he should ditch the k&n air filter to make it clear.

• Nothing new today. New headunit sitting for 2 weeks on the table. I want to put it in but if it goes slowly I could lose riding time. So it will sit until we get at least 2 days of bad weather or until this winter. Got 19k on my rear lexani and 37k on my front lexani's. Rear not to ware bars yet and fronts have some ways to go. New set sitting in garage. So when I change the rear I will do all. Getting close...

• I don't think he's on here... but Pete a friend with the mountain lion custom hood sling stopped by and dropped me off a present. Just saw these popping up in a few new colors but couldn't find any - love it! I give out red ones to kids, but would love to find more of these to give out!

Wow, I've been looking. Is this a sign perhaps the supply chain is opening up?

• 3GunSteve i’m just now getting into my first cuppa coffee but here’s a thought… Perhaps use 2L brackets back to back if your fix does not work.

And also determine whether the bracket was defective or if you have extra stress at this point because of a misalignment somewhere else.