Angle Drive

• Can someone please tell me the size Allen wrench I need to remove the angle drive drain/ fill plugs. I believe it is a 8mm, but I want to make sure. I plan on purchasing one to fit my ratchet wrench to make it easier to remove and re-install. Thanks in advance for the information. It is a 2018 model if that makes a difference.

:SUNSETSS:

• Yep, SAE 80/90 is the oil. Bottom plug is the drain, upper plug on the side is the fill. You can get to both on the drivers side. They are a bugger to get out the 1st time. Get yourself about 12-16" of heater hose to fit on the oil bottle nozzle to help you get the oil into that top plug. No way to get the bottle in there otherwise. Just fill until the new oil comes out of the plug - about 2/3rds of a quart bottle.

• Yep, SAE 80/90 is the oil. Bottom plug is the drain, upper plug on the side is the fill. You can get to both on the drivers side. They are a bugger to get out the 1st time. Get yourself about 12-16" of heater hose to fit on the oil bottle nozzle to help you get the oil into that top plug. No way to get the bottle in there otherwise. Just fill until the new oil comes out of the plug - about 2/3rds of a quart bottle.

Just buy the oil pump at the auto parts store. It is cheap and makes no mess.

hm.... even dealers recommend 75/140, I use royal purple.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• When I got a angle drive front seal leak traveling thru Phoenix heading to Cali, I got this syringe at Walmart and the oil at a local autozone.

Worked great to get me 500 miles home and have my dealer do a warranty seal repair.

I also park on a sloped parking lot if possible, with the right side of the sling downhill...very easy to get oil in the fill hole

My two cents...

“Bucky” - 2017 SL Sunset Red Slingshot

FabFactory Roof

Corbin “they suck” bags

Welter bagger exhaust

SlingLow custom storage racks

Proudly flying U.S. & USMC flags

San Dimas California

• From the service manual....

I know that is what the manual says. it also says not to change it for 50k miles....... I have posted what I have found in my oil after several changes so I would trust their recommendation as much as I would trust an average polaris mechanic....

Everyone I know uses 75/140 and/or straight Lucas stabilizer(prob a 250 weight oil), my dealer stopped using the polaris stuff and uses 75/140 royal purple as the recommended because it seemed to quiet it down a bit for most people that he services.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I did my first diff oil change at about 1500 miles using the Lucas 80/90 gear oil mainly to quiet the drive. The old oil was VERY iridescent with all the metal particles leading me to confirm that I needed to change the oil sooner than the manual recommended.

When I did the 2nd change at about 10K miles, there was no iridescence at all - ie no metal particles. At this point, I wouldn't change again until 50K miles or more.

• I did my first diff oil change at about 1500 miles using the Lucas 80/90 gear oil mainly to quiet the drive. The old oil was VERY iridescent with all the metal particles leading me to confirm that I needed to change the oil sooner than the manual recommended.

When I did the 2nd change at about 10K miles, there was no iridescence at all - ie no metal particles. At this point, I wouldn't change again until 50K miles or more.

Thanks guys,

I knew what the manual said, but I also recalled that others here knew better. Looks like I'm about due for the change!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I already got the gear oil and purchased the quart size pump while I was at it, to make it a little easier. I have a bass boat and when changing the gear oil in the foot of the outboard, I always filled it through the drain plug until it started to run out the top fill hole. But from what I am hearing from you guys, is remove fill plug first, then the drain plug. After draining, reinstall the drain plug and fill through the fill hole until the gear oil starts to run out, then replace the fill plug and torque both plugs to 12 ft. Lbs. 👍🏻