Cleaning /shining black plastic

• have you tried the Lucas Slick Mist interior detailer yet - $7 at Walmart and it works - - before you go out and try another specialized high $$ product why not give it a try

F11 will still attract dirt to the tub....I won’t randomly spray it under my hood and inside the fenders.... $$$$$$ issue..

Does your tub get dusty with the slick mist?

The product I’m talking about is cheap as pledge...

So far it doesn’t matter what I’ve used the tub gets covered with dust....I’m still leaning to it being a static problem...too..

• I know some of you are done with this subject but I will offer up these photos to consider.

These photos are from the rear bumper of a 2000 GM van

This bumper was just done with orange pledge 15 minutes ago and you can see the light discoloration marks already popping out again. The bumper was originally done with lemon pledge a week ago.

This is the front bumper of a 2002 GM van and it was done a week ago with pledge. See the whiteish discoloration on it. These bumpers looked great and the discoloration wasn’t visible when finished.

And the front bumper of another 2002 GM van which was done on the same day as the other vans. See how crappy it looks. It looked great when it was finished too.

My point is pledge doesn’t offer any UV protection, all it does is shine. These bumpers in their lifetime probably had little of any UV protection applied.

So in my opinion continued use of pledge with no UV protection on our black plastic will at some point in time become discolored.

So does Lucas slick must offer UV protection?

We need something to shine and protect from the sun.

Ok go at it.

• Last post, all the products we have posted about are for caring things that are in good condition not for revitalizing something hasn't been taken care of for decades.

As the saying goes, it will cure the sick but won't revive the dead.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• My point is pledge and slick mist are listed as “interior” products....means not exposed to sunlight.....like mushroom mines....they grow in the dark.....no UV protection.

Will the make it shiny....yes.....will it actually protect the plastic....no....

I have a shiny “dust covered” plastic tub.

Does anyone know if our tubs and the other plastic parts are made from marine grade plastic?

I bought marine grade plastic to make my visor....

• Bigdog... each individual injection molded plastic that IS NOT a painted surface is Polypropylene Elastomers Material - or PPE, which also contains up to a max limit of 5% Thermoplastic Olefin Elastomers - TPO

Injection Molded Plastics with Grained surfaces have additives added blended into resin material pre-injection - at a max limit of 5% mixture rate to 95% raw resin materials

These two types of resins are the most commonly used among automotive / ORV manufacturing.

I do not know of any such plastic resin material referred to as " marine grade "...

Any cleaner that you clean your exterior plastics on a regular car would suffice

Hope this helps.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• if your interested.... the ejector / ejection side of your injection molded plastics are ALL identified as to what resin material it is and the date stamp shows when it was molded....

Ejection side of plastics can be found by un-fastening your plastics from your vehicle and turning to the backside (smooth,un-grained, and unseen) of the plastic.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• My attitude sucks right now, Bigdog!

Please read the following!!!

Automotive surfaces that are grained and not painted have UV protective additives to lengthen the life of those plastics.

Grained automotive surfaces are not normally painted because paint adherence suffers.

Read this as UV protectants are simliar to the term water resistant...

They work to an extent but fail over time or extremes.

You can see this failure in automotive plastics over time as they whiten, flow lines and mold markings appear.

Hope this clears up what Guardian_Angel stated above.

I would say something derogative about now but I suspect that you got no further than...

My attitude sucks right now, Bigdog!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• So you just confirmed what I’ve been saying...we need to use products to shine that also have UV protection to help them stay pretty. Stuff designed for indoors...isn’t the answer...

• if your interested.... the ejector / ejection side of your injection molded plastics are ALL identified as to what resin material it is and the date stamp shows when it was molded....

Ejection side of plastics can be found by un-fastening your plastics from your vehicle and turning to the backside (smooth,un-grained, and unseen) of the plastic.

I learned about that in my trip to Painter s! 👍

• The sun is a plastic killer. It also kills fiberglass. And it kills us without UV protection.

My slingshot sleeps outside. I keep it covered. If your slingshot is in an area that gets constant sun it’s even worse. In my area Pittsburgh sunny days are a premium....but it still fades and ruins everything it shines on. Clothing, lawn furniture, car interiors, asphalt driveway sealer, the paint on your vehicles and your house paint and roofing. If you can see it...it’s being killed by the sun.

Since this is more than likely my first and last slingshot I want it to last and still look good when the bury me in it. Not trolling, looking for a solution.

• Search here.....it’s very big in the boating industry....

I don’t know what makes it so much better ....

https://search.yahoo.com/searc…toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

• This is made from a piece of marine plastic. It has the exact texture to match our plastic. Doesn’t mean ours is marine plastic.

I curved this over s piece of pipe with a heat gun. A few months after it was mounted I noticed the middle of it was starting to flatten out. The heat from the sun was reshaping it flat again. I had to make a metal frame to fasten it to do it would keep its shape.

These pictures are before I added the framework and you can see it’s flatter than when I first put it on. I curved it to more closely match the curve of the roof.

The sun on anything black retains more heat. If you ever paint a piece of wood on your house black after time in the sun the wood will dry rot from the sun heating the black paint. That extra concentration of heat will dry the wood out faster.

Our slingshot black plastic is really getting cooked for the same reason.

I put this mirror coating over the dark plexiglass to reflect the heat because the plexiglass was starting to warp. It made a really big difference in reducing the cabin heat too. You can see the screws added in the black visor holding it to the metal framework.

The slingshot body being made totally out of exposed plastic is like baking a hotdog in the microwave.

• Your the perceived expert here Bigdog. Clean with whatever you want to clean with.

I am beginning to see your point airoutlaw , forgive me for restraining you so often from speaking your mind...

• Plastics are killing the oceans....

What nobody seems to realize is many cities and countries dump their garbage in the ocean.... New York City is one of them.

If your garbage goes into a land fill how is my plastic bottle ending up in the ocean? It’s not.

We need to stop dumping garbage in the ocean.

As a side note....when your plastic slingshot disintegrates from UV rays put it in a landfill....not the ocean.