Bad gas?

• No but that stuff will kick ass clean the carbon buildup out of your engine. Had a chevy s10 4x4 and I could tell when I was going to lose my brakes cause the engine would idle rough at stop signs but could not tell at highway speeds so the high speed no brakes worky sucked. Pulled off the vacuum line from the brake booster (which runs to the back of the carb) and stuck it in a can of sea foam and that cleaned all the gunk out of the engine so the brakes would work again. Sea Foams good stuff Maynard.

A word of warning when doing this... don't do this near any other vehicles as the black crud coming out of the exhaust will get on the paint and it does not come off easy. This does not apply if your just adding Sea Foam to the gas tank.

• I did some Internet research -

As posted previously, the fuel pump incorporates 2 non-replaceable filters and also includes the gas level sensor and retails for around $400, give or take! Polaris lists the fuel pump assembly as pn 2521242. Fuel Pump Factory offers what they list as a replacement fuel pump for $79.99 with free delivery and specifically state it replaces the 2521242. I called them and asked if their pump was supposed to replace the factory pump on the factory assembly and was told yes. Unfortunately, I also checked a listing on EBay for the same item and the listing did not list the item as matching my 2015 Polaris Slingshot.

I continued my EBay search and found a listing for a Slingshot fuel pump and found a UK seller that offered a fuel pump that looked like the Fuel Pump Factory pump and also claimed the pump was attached to the Polaris fuel pump assembly via two push-tabs. I also found a California seller who offered the FPF pump w/free shipping. See attached file.

Links -

FPF replacement fuel pump - https://www.fuelpumpfactory.co…015-2018-replaces-2521242

UK EBay vendor - https://www.ebay.com/itm/112603078103

EBay California-based seller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/173594236672

Hopefully, I won't need to replace my fuel pump, but it looks like I can save money if I end up replacing it.

• Heet is mostly just alcohol to take care of water. Sea foam is a good choice as is Berrymans and several other cleaners. Before a drop a pile of money on a new pump just to replace the filer(s) i would do a good power wash of the filters when I had them out of the tank, then replace and see what you get. Just seems way stupid to make a system that does not have a replaceable filter with out replacing major components.

LC

• Heet is mostly just alcohol to take care of water. Sea foam is a good choice as is Berrymans and several other cleaners. Before a drop a pile of money on a new pump just to replace the filer(s) i would do a good power wash of the filters when I had them out of the tank, then replace and see what you get. Just seems way stupid to make a system that does not have a replaceable filter with out replacing major components.

LC

I really dislike the design of assemblies with non-replaceable parts. I was concerned about trying to replace just the pump since Polaris sells everything as a single unit, but I now feel better informed if I need to go that route. I still have some concerns about the wiring, but I'll be sure to insect everything well when & if I need to replace the pump.

• I really dislike the design of assemblies with non-replaceable parts. I was concerned about trying to replace just the pump since Polaris sells everything as a single unit, but I now feel better informed if I need to go that route. I still have some concerns about the wiring, but I'll be sure to insect everything well when & if I need to replace the pump.

Walmarts got sea foam for less than $7.00 a can.

• I've now run a bottle of Heet thru the tank, followed by a bottle of Sea Foam and am still experiencing bogging under hard acceleration, but it mainly seems to bog as the fuel level goes down.

I found replacement Slingshot fuel filters on EBay, but it's such a pain pulling the pump assembly to get to the filters that I think I should replace the pump at the same time. I guess I'll try a couple more cans of Sea Foam to see if it does anything before replacing the pump/filters.

• With all the electronics on an engine these days diagnosing can be a real pain without the proper diagnosis tooling. Just in the past week I took our car into the shop and they provided me with a loaner in the mean time. On the way home from work coming over a shallow pass the loaner just started bucking and then finally quit right at the top of the pass. When I tried to restart it would run a second or two and die again. Fuel related, right? Out of fuel, fuel pump, filter? It turned out to be the Mass AirFlow sensor!

Bill

• I'm going for a ride tonight, so I guess I'll get to see if the bogging becomes a problem at lower rpm. While I can understand placing the fuel filter(s) before the fuel pump to protect the fuel pump, I never have liked the idea of using non-replaceable fuel filters, but I guess the cost of pulling and replacing just the filters is the same labor cost as replacing the entire assembly. Overall, though, I think the added manufacturing costs of routing the gas line from the fuel intake out the side of the tank to a replaceable fuel filter and then back into the tank to the fuel pump would make more sense in terms of long-term maintenance costs for the buyer, but, of course, manufacturers seem more concerned with their own costs far more so than with the cost of ownership.

Post-ride update - Only remember 2 instances of bogging, but they had somewhat confusing circumstances. One instance was mild aceleration in 5th gear and the rpms were well below 4000. The second occurred during a brisk acceleration event and the rear wheel started spinning. I took my foot off the gas to recover from the overspin and when I shifted up and applied more gas, I got hit with the bogging down. Oddly, I had a couple other accelerations w/o any bogging as I ran thru the gears, but it may be possible I managed to miss the bogging by shifting earlier.

I was having issues with the SS slowing down in 5th gear and flooring the gas pedal.....

It turned out to be the gas pedal....which the dealer changed at no charge....it took them a while to figure out the problem....

• Update on my engine bogging issues - I first added a bottle of HEET gas-line antifreeze when I filled up. After most of that tank was gone or after a couple fillups (I can't remember which), I added a bottle of Sea Foam to the next tank and then ran a couple more tanks of gas (ALL Premium 93 Octane). I then bought another bottle of Sea Foam at Wally World (about $7) along with a can of Super Tech Motor Treatment (just under $5) which is in the same kind of can as Sea Foam and looks to be a clone of Sea Foam (don't know if it is or not). Before filling up at my local Circle K/Valero gas station before my last ride, I added a bottle of the Super Tech. During the ride, I tried several brisk accelerations that took me to over 5000 rpm in the lower gears where I had previously experienced bogging during acceleration and I don't recall any bogging, so I hope I'm not going to need to replace the fuel pump, but if I do, I think I'll try replacing just the fuel pump and filter to try and save some money, using the fuel pumps offered by either FPF or the EBay California seller listed above. I still plan on adding the remaining can of Sea Foam in after 1 or 2 more fillups, just to be safe.

• Second update on my bad gas/bogging issue -

After the initial treatment described in Post # 29, above, the bogging issue seems to have cleared up. I now add a can of Sea Foam or its Walmart equivalent to my gas tank around the first of each month. Gumout also makes an equivalent product (around $5 at Walmart online, but I don't recall seeing it in-store) and I assume other manufacturers have an equivalent, but I've only tried the Sea Foam and Walmart versions. I figure it's cheap insurance and will hopefully keep the fuel pump intake filter clean and free of any buildup and hopefully extend fuel pump life before I need to replace it.
  • BKL

How many miles are you running between treatments?

This is an estimate. I try to ride every other night, so that would be about 15 times per month. Each ride ranges from a minimum of 75 miles or so up to around 135 miles or so, but I probably average about 85-90 miles per ride, so 15 times per month would mean I add a bottle of Sea Foam or equivalent every 1275 miles. At the end of this month (June, 2019), I'll have owned my Slingshot for 4 years and I just did my 50,000 mile oil/filter change, giving me an average of almost 1050 miles per month of ownership, although I probably had the Slingshot torn apart for various mods about 10 months of those 4 years, which works out to close to 1250 miles per month of actual use.

I originally thought about adding a can every 2 weeks, but decided that would be too frequent, although now that I've looked at the mileage, maybe it's not. One of the reasons I initially decided on using 1 can every month was it took 2-3 cans over 6-8 fill-ups before the bogging issue seemed to clear up, so I figured 1 can per month should be enough to keep things clean. Using Gumout's Tune-Up or Walmart's Super Tech Motor treatment, 2 cans cost less than $10/month ($14/month for Sea Foam). A typical fill-up costs me around $10 as a comparison.

• BKL

Thanks for the detailed information! I usually fill up at the 1/2 tank mark (5 gal) and at 27 mpg that works out to once every 10 fill ups. I did add a can of sea foam 2 tanks ago (at your recommendation), so I'll aim for once per 1000 miles for preventative maintenance. Ruby has about 7800 miles on her now, so somewhere around 9000 I'll do it again - hopefully I'll never have the bogging or dirty injectors problem!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Reading is fun-to-mental...

Could start with reading thread title...

"Bad Gas?"

and then read replies to get current.

... or just keep throwing crap at the wall in hopes that something will stick or at least, hit the wall.

I'm sorry, really! ?(

My brain to mouth filter screen seems to have a couple holes in it. :/

Gonna go zen for a bit...:|

and BKL ...

Hope it was just a varnish build up problem.

Cause I now know what a pain it would be to change a fuel pump and filter. Thanx. :thumbsup:

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Sea foam is about $28 a gallon

Sold in 16 oz containers for about $6 near me. They recommend 1oz per gallon, I figure if you're not completely dry, 1 can gives you two tanks of treatment.

With conservative treatment intervals of 1000 miles, that puts the cost of Sea Foam at 0.3 cents per mile - not bad.

A 1-gallon container (I've never seen it sold that way btw), is 128 oz, enough for 16,000 miles of travel, several YEARS of riding for most of us. At your estimated cost that comes to 0.15 cents per mile.

Seems like a bargain either way compared with the expense, time, and effort of replacing injectors, fuel pumps, fuel filters, valves.....

Just my 0.02... hey! That's enough for almost 15 miles of travel! 🤠

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.