Rear End Noise Questions

• Just need to use the full spec not only the sizing ....... RNA-NA 4909 LL/3AS

We all went through this last year in the mega rear bearing thread ..... its all still over there ....

This is my punishment for looking at The Dark Side... :D:00008862::00007956::00008021:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• This is my punishment for looking at The Dark Side... :D:00008862::00007956::00008021:

This is @Tripod when they caught him on TDS:

We should all look away in shame........... :00000019::00010317:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• When my rear end gets noisy my wife has figured out the fix. Less beer! :00008356:

Yep...there is a certain "saturation" level to the air quality in our house, then my wife quickly removes all burritos, enchiladas, and any other food source containing refried beans, and/or green chili, from the frig & freezer!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Pics or it didn't happen ! :00008356:

Talked to the service manager today again, said he could not do anything until he tore the axle down and called Polaris. I asked him why he did not say this 2 weeks ago when he was listen and recording the noise. We could have already cured the problem. Told him that I needed the SS back before the 21 of this month and that my bearings that I had ordered would be here today and I would fix the damn thing myself, that I was not waiting on him. That is the short story, he knew that I was pissed and walked off and I walked out.

• Talked to the service manager today again, said he could not do anything until he tore the axle down and called Polaris. I asked him why he did not say this 2 weeks ago when he was listen and recording the noise. We could have already cured the problem. Told him that I needed the SS back before the 21 of this month and that my bearings that I had ordered would be here today and I would fix the damn thing myself, that I was not waiting on him. That is the short story, he knew that I was pissed and walked off and I walked out.

That is the biggest complaint I have with Polaris. They really need to step up the warranty game. Indian and Victory (of course, owned by Polaris) deal with things in real time. I know if a Harley has issues and you are on a road trip, the dealer will pull someone else's bike off the station and attempt to get you back on the road ASAP. Victory and Indian are competing in the same market, so they attempt to do things like Harley does. Here I am, heading out this weekend for Deals Gap area. If I have an issue, and can get to a dealer, it will likely be 2 weeks before anything is done about it. So if it breaks on the road, and I'm a hard day's ride from home, what then? I rent a car and leave the Sling? Rent another car and drive back to get it 2 weeks later? That, to me, is unacceptable.

I live 1 1/2 hours drive from the nearest dealership. This "Bring it in and we'll look at it", then wait 2 weeks to get parts and reschedule sucks. If the repair takes a day, I either lose a day waiting on it, or I have to drop it off the day before, and then my wife has to drive also to pick me up and again to go get it. Polaris is a pretty good sized company. I know that most of what they make is "recreational" and not for the street. But the Slingshot is, and while many would still classify it as "recreational", it's not like their other products. If a jet ski or Rzr breaks down on vacation, it's inconvenient, ends the vacation fun and you load it on the trailer and head home. If you break the Slingshot, it IS your ride home.

Sorry, rant over. I just feel they really need to step up on this. Even if only keeping the known to be an issue parts in stock.

• @Goats_Hogs I'm not defending Polaris's actions regarding warranty and general C/S only that you make a valid point regarding H/D and Indian. The main point is that there is competition within that market. As you see it's good for the consumer. At this time there is no competitor to the SS in its price range. This is when bean counters and stock holders make a lot of the calls. C/S and good warranty coverage is a very hard thing to show true ROI. Honestly hope another brand jumps into tbe game if for that reason alone.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Well- my story........ Went in to see mechanic on Monday, as I figured rear bearings shot- he drove across the parking lot, agreed, and ordered. (I said overnight) Bearing arrived at lunchtime on Wednesday. (I was there with the sling waiting.) Yep- needle bearing was roached. Replaced both- rear belt sprocket had it's obligatory 1/2 bottle of loctite, and they striped the threads totally off their puller, trying to get it off. All finally disassembled, cleaned and inspected. No damage to the shaft. They packed the new ones with grease, and reinstalled. When replacing the rotor and caliper, they could not get it to retract enough to fit the rotor. (I had told mechanic that I thought the rear brake was dragging on Friday.) Piston defective, but luckily, they had a complete re-build kit, and rear pads. They finally ran out of time, and my sling is still there. Because the owner went off joy-riding in the demo sling, and decided not to answer his phone, the sales mgr gave me his new Ford F150 4x4 to take home, and he took a Victory. (I suggested that they could give me the brand new unit that they just put a turbo on, but they figured the owner would kill us all. .)
    This morning, I will head to the store, and pick up a bottle of Crown for the Service Magr., fill his tank, and get the truck washed. Then- up to Auburn. These guys may be a small dealership, but they ROCK!

• I need to unsubscribe from this thread. It just makes my blood boil.

Tracked in April. Checked for issues. Waaay not cool to leak on a track. No issues. Iron butt attempt in June, checked for issues, no leaks. July rear end noises, diagnosed as angle drive barfing all the fluid destroying the bearings. One month wait for a back ordered angle drive.

Currently on a one month wait for a control arm. Bad sounds when you turn, gets old real fast.

I flogged the snot out of Harleys. Never waited for a part. Needed lube for a few shop charges, but always quickly back on the road with confidence. If Harley gets into the sling market, I will jump ship in 5 seconds.

Yes, the right dealer for service is priceless. I will ride 3 hours each way.

• Has anyone figured out the easy way to get the bearings out? I just finished pulling the axle. The dealer had grease everywhere when they greased last time. The bearing is not dry but what little grease is left is black. Going to take pictures tomorrow and start cleaning the whole assembly up. Then see if I can figure a way to get the bearings out. Looks like there is not enough room behind bearing to get a inside bearing puller to work. Any suggestions besides beating them out.

• Yet another update........ I have it back- new bearings- ended up costing me $134.52. Why? you may ask. Because Polaris, in their ultimate wisdom, does not stock complete bearing sets in one warehouse location. So, I got to pay $57.26 x 2 + $20.00. (expedite from 2 separate locations.) Needless to say, I will be calling them, and letting them know what I think of their inventory management system- my guy gave me the invoices and the reference # (warranty claim number.
    Brand new- fully rebuilt rear caliper & rear brake pads.
    No more clicking.

New issue- after bleeding the brakes- they still suck. (They were bled at about 4000 miles, as they were crap then. 3000 miles later, and freshly bled- very spongy at best, double pump a little better. Service meg. noticed it on his test drive. Told me that they were less than 100% (he was being WAY too kind), and was ordering a master cylinder today, under warranty. Had to double check my VIN number in insure that it was a new build, and not one of the first ones- 7000 miles- rear pinion seal, rear bearings, real brake caliper, and now master cylinder- you suppose the took all the factory seconds, and put them on 1 bike?

To top off everything today- I went to pick up that bottle of Crown Royal for the sales manager, and some dumb woman, (who was an ESL student...... maybe), backed right into his F150........... got the back of the wheel well, all the way to mid rear door, (super cab), and the chrome running boards. Had to call 911 and pin her car in, to keep her from leaving, and to force her to give insurance information.........
    Good Lord, it is beer-o'thirty!!!!!!!

• Man that blows! Let no good deed go unpunished

yeah- guess my chances of borrowing their turbo just went down the tubes :cursing: ........ They were all great about it, though. (I brought the owner a bottle of Patron, as well.) All will get repaired to his satisfaction- she has Farmers. It will just be a PITA for him, though.

• New issue- after bleeding the brakes- they still suck. (They were bled at about 4000 miles, as they were crap then. 3000 miles later, and freshly bled- very spongy at best, double pump a little better. Service meg. noticed it on his test drive. Told me that they were less than 100% (he was being WAY too kind), and was ordering a master cylinder today, under warranty. Had to double check my VIN number in insure that it was a new build, and not one of the first ones- 7000 miles- rear pinion seal, rear bearings, real brake caliper, and now master cylinder- you suppose the took all the factory seconds, and put them on 1 bike?

Make sure they bleed the top bleeder on the ABS module - made all the difference on mine!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!