• LOL, much of our riding can be beyond 50 miles from a city or town, but that still may be better than paying a repair truck to find us? We do carry fix-a-flat if needed!
    Bill

For me to be that far away from “Civilization” I would have to drive for hours just to get there...lol

I wish I had open spaces like you enjoy!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• All other things being equal, the main determinant in tire life is the driver. I got 35000+ miles from my stock front tires. The Kenda rear tires averaged around 10000 miles each. I got about 7000 miles from a Sunitiomo HTR Z III on the rear and around 9000+ miles from the Nankang NS-20. I now have around 5000 miles on my Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire and it doesn't really look worn to me. Based on its price ($258 mounted on an American Muscle 17x10.5 Mustang wheel for $150) I certainly hope to get more than 10000 miles from the 555 G2.
    The Nitto Motivo is warranted for 60000 miles so I'd hope it would last at least 20000 miles on the rear of the Slingshot.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I’m very sure Polaris wouldn’t put cheap junk tires on such a fine machine.. LOL...

Just dug out my new factory Kenda rear tire and rim...it’s looks similar to another brand I saw...

$279 isn’t cheap...

I have to watch my rear fender clearances....can’t be too high or tooo wide.

I just looked on amazon....kenda makes tires for bicycles, atvs, motorcycles, golf carts, lawn mowers, wheel barrows, scooters, inner tubes

They have white tires, pink ones, orange ones, red ones, blue ones, yellow ones....what could go Wrong?

• I bought a Kenda locally for my base model for around $130.
    The Nankang NS-20 was a little larger but only cost around $100. The Sumitomo HTR Z III was a 295/30R18 tire and cost around $200. I also just put an ATR Sport 275/35R18 on my original rear wheel. Got it from Amazon for under $80.

• pretty sure the Kendas polaris sells are just Kenda KR20 kaisers rebranded with slingshot on them - not an expensive tire, but of course polaris bumps the price up

I actually find the kenda site funny

they even offer wheelchair tires

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• One of the things I use in making my decision on which tire to buy is based on how much tread it has new...the deeper it is I feel the more I get for my money....that said the Kenda tire only had 8/32....for that reason alone it wouldn’t be my first choice to buy.

And if the compound is soft...you’re really wasting mileage money..

I got the new wheels and tires for $540 delivered...with free double bubbles...so I’d be an idiot to not wear them out. 7000 gets me to next summer so I have time to pick a new rear tire.

That’s how I picked my van/truck tires

• They covered every market possible...

I’m pretty sure they have to meet certain government standards to be sold here....at least I hope so....

• you better be careful Bigdog the service manual says you will crash and die if you dont use Polaris OEM tires

• Better than $289. At $100 you could put one on every month...

Don’t forget the traction control feature....polaris had to do much tire testing to see how the new vehicle design would actually work.,

Were these tires chosen for the gripping compound....not too hard not to soft.....I’m willing to bet the SS acts different if the compounds go too extremes one way or the other..the Goldilocks compound being just right. And the sidewall stiffness....and flex.

• Were these tires chosen for the gripping compound....not too hard not to soft.

Id be willing to bet they chose those tires because they were the lowest bidder. Every other tire that has been tried on the Slingshot has provided a better experience. I may be wrong but thats what it seems like to me...and I am in the Tire business...its what I do every single day!

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Id be willing to bet they chose those tires because they were the lowest bidder. Every other tire that has been tried on the Slingshot has provided a better experience.
    SSreaper

I would have to agree. I am on my 4th tire...I went from Kenda to Kenda to Firestone to Nankang and the Firestone and Nankang have been substantially better. Surprisingly the Nankang NS-20 has been amazing. I paid under $160 for the rear and dry traction has been better than expected. The wet traction is probably the biggest surprise, I got caught in a nasty storm yesterday...and the Kenda would float the rear tire on top of the water, the Nankang felt like it was actually on the road pushing the water to the sides.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Better than $289. At $100 you could put one on every month...

Don’t forget the traction control feature....polaris had to do much tire testing to see how the new vehicle design would actually work.,

Were these tires chosen for the gripping compound....not too hard not to soft.....I’m willing to bet the SS acts different if the compounds go too extremes one way or the other..the Goldilocks compound being just right. And the sidewall stiffness....and flex.

I suspect that if tires other than the kendas didnt work correctly on the slingshot the many people here who combined have put down thousands and thousands of miles driving in the real world with tires other than the stock kendas would have made it known by now

I would also bet that the Kendas were not chosen because they were better of special, they were more likely chosen because Kenda came in with the lowest bid to produce them with "slingshot" on side thus maximizing the profit potential for Polaris.

Think about it, as shown in the links above, without the special branding they sell for under $100 which is already marked up from cost - In its normal form its what most would consider a discount tire yet Polaris wants close to $300 and probably gets it from some people who think they are required to use them

• I have read where tires normally rated for an extended period of mileage are usually warranted at about half the normal mileage when used in a situation where they can't be rotated. Varies by manufac turer.

Tire warranties are not written in stone.

When a customer comes in to warranty a tire that has a 60000 mile warranty and they only got 30000 miles on it. The first thing we do is look at the tire to see if it is evenly worn across the tread from one side to the other. if the outside measures 2/32 and the inside is at 4/32....no warranty...mechanical wear (bad alignment or worn suspension parts)). If the front tires measure 2/32 and the rear tires are at 5/32...no warranty lack of rotation. Now if a 4 tires are worn evenly across the tread we ask for the maintenance paperwork to show proper rotations and alignments. IF the customer provides that then we process a claim. No maintenance we can still try a claim but the manufacturer (who are the ones that offer the warranty and honor it) wants to have those records and the old tires back to see what is going on with their product.
    The tire store just sells the tire...the manufacturer is the one that warranties it. They make us send pictures and the actual tires back to them. If we try to lie for a customer (been there and did it )...the customer will get a discount and the store will get charged for it and when that happens that stores corporate office goes completely apeshit! :cursing:

This is why when you buy a tire from Billy Bobs Auto and then go to get it warrantied...he sends you to another place because he is not a authorized retailer (he buys them from a store and resells them, he didnt buy thru a authorized distributor) and only authorized retailers can process a claim. These places include every online seller.(NON AUTHORIZED) Yes you save money but good luck getting a warranty. Because now you have to come to me...tell me that the tires I quoted you on a year ago you decided to buy online to save a few bucks and now want me to jump thru hoops so you can save more money. :thumbdown: THIS GOES OVER BETTER IF YOU BRING ME COFFEE (CREAM & SUGAR). :whistling: YES BRIBING YOUR TIRE GUY WORKS!

Every time I have to deny a warranty I get cursed up and down, threatened (yes it happens every day) and told I am a cheat and a liar because people think the stores are what warranty the tire when it is the manufacturer and lets face it...manufacturers (like POLARIS) do not want to pay out money for warranties when they can be denied.

The next time you decide you need tires...consider you National Brand store and that you are paying not only for the tire but the Expert (me 22 YEARS SAME COMPANY) to help guide you in the proper product selection. Proper care of the tire to maximize your mileage and yes to be there to help you when a warranty issue arises. (NO COFFEE NEEDED FOR THESE PEOPLE)

I hope this helps some to better understand how a tire warranty works. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please I hear evey question imaginable...non of them are stupid!
    Don't go and try to prove me wrong now... :rolleyes:

SSREAPER

PS
    I have been able to beat any online tire price ever brought to me....just sayin!

• Now that was very informative....

So basically with one tire warranty claims....it’s never going to happen....but we should still be able to reasonably expect decent mileage but not 60,000 miles....so would 20,000 be asking too much? Or is that still stretching it?

I have no doubt the Polaris got a very good deal on the Kenda tires....is it necessarily a cheap tire? I’m thinking Kenda probably thought about the advertising potential from being run on the unique vehicle like the SS...potentially thousands and thousands of tires...good name recognition....and they do make ATV tires also....now we’re talking millions of tires...Polaris would be a very good tire account to have...Kenda could not afford to provide Polaris with a crappy tire just to land the deal....they were probably given first crack at providing an SS tire. And it’s been tested over and over.....has anyone had an actual Kenda tire failure?

I just measured my new tire for height and width....27” high and 10” wide.....so to fit under my rear fender my next, next new tire will have to have those dimensions and have a deep tread more than 8/32”. With stiff sidewalls and good grip.....is that asking too much?

I wonder if all those burnout/drifting SS videos were on the Kenda Tires?

• Kenda could not afford to provide Polaris with a crappy tire just to land the deal

BS it happens every day EG when Volkswagen put the GY Integrity on their vehicles and they were just wrong for the application. Its their entry level tire thats cheap! How did the Corvette who for the longest time used nothing but Michelin's (great tire 15-20000) all of a sudden change to GY (wears out in 8000 miles) .....PRICE!! Not to mention the ability to sell more tires. They give out the Specs for the tires to the manufactures and the one who will make the specd tire for the cheapest bid wins!

SSreaper

• So basically with one tire warranty claims....it’s never going to happen.

No tire company will give a milage warranty on a tire that caonnot be rotated. Expected milages are only 1/3 to 1/2 of rated. Every car that has a stagger fitment does not get the milage warranty. The manufacturer honors all material and defect warranties. (yes we get one but they are very rare today). Tires in general are made much better than they were 20 years ago.

If you truly want the best milage out of your tires on your car its simple...keep them inflated properly...rotate every 3-5000 miles...GET THE ALIGNMENT DONE EVEN IF IT ISNT PULLING !!(whole different discussion)

If you do that .... there is almost no way any manufacturer can deny a claim unless there is abuse evident (SPINNING THE TIRES)

SSREAPER