helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• I'm just wondering, those of you that have been clocked in the head, how tall is your windscreen? And how tall are you? I feel pretty safe behind my F4+3 at 5'5".

I used the stock ripper windscreen until a year ago. Now I have a NASCAR Tall Boy that should protect really well against debris. I'm 5' 8". I love the NASCAR Tall Boy with the Baker Air Wings for air circulation.

• I'm 5ft 11in and use a F4 tinted 5+ I look thru the wind shield and have not had any thing from the 'street' hit me. That being said last fall riding down the county road i had a walnut (about 10 oz) fall out of the tree and hit me in the shoulder ... another time a acorn fell and caught me on top of the head. Love riding in the country --- that's 2 minor hits in 98,000 miles. I think I'll be OK

• Justina and I have both been hit by debris being thrown off of the Interstate, she pretty hard one time actually causing her to loose some of her senses and gouging her helmet. Since then, we have installed a top thinking that it will help deflect some of these bombs, so far it seems to be working though we try to avoid the Interstate whenever possible.

Bill

• Don't follow close behind me I am having trouble missing stuff laying on the road. I keep forgetting and centering it and that big rear tire doesn't miss. It is tough getting it just right.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Don't follow close behind me I am having trouble missing stuff laying on the road. I keep forgetting and centering it and that big rear tire doesn't miss. It is tough getting it just right.

Do they have many skunks in Florida? May want to practice before running into one!^^

• I am sure we have them and even the 4 legged kind. Squirrels, opossums, and armadillos and possibility a gator. Rattle snakes and I don't want to run over one of those in a Slingshot.

• Though NY is a helmet state, if i had to wear a full face , id sell it and get a convertible...... and i do remove it sometimes when im in Connecticut (a No helmet state) & its my harley helmet also........last full face i worn was when i was a Goldwing owner and had the c.b. which was cool until the other goldwing riders wouldnt shut da fuc up, then all future rides i cut the c.b. off, always cutting into my music chatting about nothing at 60-70 mph smdh

• My Wife and I wear helmets as we did on the MC. Tennessee is a helmet state and even if it wasn't we'd still wear helmets. I understand some when they say they're hotter than not wearing one. But it's a trade off because the helmet is quieter and my Wife and I can talk normally going down the road with our SENA headsets installed in the helmets. Helmets are carbon fiber so they are extremely light compared to other models. I don't mind the helmet and will continue to wear it.

Psalm 28:4 "Give to them according to the evil of their deeds"

"Attitude determines airspeed, throttle determines touchdown point"

TheDonFather - Videos

• hmmm, helmet state. Maine classifies the sling as an autocycle. So do I have to wear a helmet in any state?

I am pretty sure you just need to follow the laws of the state you are driving in. I am on the VA NC boarder and when in NC if I am just cruising around the country side I do not wear a helmet but in my home state i have a bucket on my skull! I don't do much highway driving - not much fun

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• hmmm, helmet state. Maine classifies the sling as an autocycle. So do I have to wear a helmet in any state?

In NJ the slingshot is an autocycle. Autocycle laws may vary state-to-state. in NJ you don't need to to have the vehicle inspected but you do need to follow motorcycle laws. I.e. you must wear a helmet. Many SS drivers in NJ don't wear a helmet. Of course many officers themselves may not be up to date on the autocycle laws in NJ.

Seat belt and helmet requirements for autocycles

Autocycles must have seat belts for the operator and passenger. Children who are required to be in child restraint systems are not permitted as passengers.

New Jersey law requires helmets for the operator and all passengers. A helmet, reflectorized on both sides, with a neck or chin strap, is required for the driver and all passengers unless the autocycle is fully enclosed. Goggles and a face shield are required for the driver and all passengers unless the autocycle has a windscreen meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standards. Operators and passengers should check the helmet laws of the states in which they intend to travel.

Autocycle self-inspection

Although autocycles are not required to be inspected in New Jersey, it is the responsibility of the driver to make sure the autocycle is maintained free from mechanical defects and is in good operating condition. Law enforcement may cite a driver for equipment that is non-compliant or for failure to make repairs.

• I'm just wondering, those of you that have been clocked in the head, how tall is your windscreen? And how tall are you? I feel pretty safe behind my F4+3 at 5'5".

6'1" tall FYI and I chose not to have the " tall" windscreen, just me (some like it tall), the standard height

• Was riding my Yamaha Big Bear just outside of Memphis wearing a 3/4 helmet with a full bubble shield on it when a big bumble bee so how got inside the helmet and was flying around in front of my face. At the speed I was traveling it was a real scary. Pulled the bubble shield off and he left. Later that same ride I tipped my head back to look at a plane going over and the wind ripped the shield off and the car behind me ran over it. Time to head back to the barracks as they happen in threes.