Another Battery Question

• Maybe I should ask a different way. What is the difference in the way the different years are mounted? Is the tray larger. Or is the clamp bolt in a different location? Just seems to change from a larger battery to a smaller one Polaris would not need to change the complete platform. Anyone have a picture of the early battery platform?

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• Just went outside, removed the battery cover I reinstalled yesterday and took this pic of the battery/tray in my 2015 Slingshot. It's hard to tell from the different perspectives between your pics and mine, it looks like the tray may be about the same size with the main difference being the strap holding the battery in place since your battery doesn't have the little foot the old-style battery uses to clamp it in place.

• Just went outside, removed the battery cover I reinstalled yesterday and took this pic of the battery/tray in my 2015 Slingshot. It's hard to tell from the different perspectives between your pics and mine, it looks like the tray may be about the same size with the main difference being the strap holding the battery in place since your battery doesn't have the little foot the old-style battery uses to clamp it in place.

That looks like the group 26 battery I have. Polaris did some weird shit with batteries. Some of the 2015s had group 34, others have group 26, and then they switched to motorcycle batteries. I know it's a weight thing, but crap!

That is interesting. It looks like some sort of angled metal to keep the clamp from backing out. I guess a kind of safety measure should the clamp become loose.
    That was a concern of mine. It would be a bad deal if the battery securing clamp backed off. Though I have never seen that happen in an automobile. But I think most cars have a type of tray with a lip to help secure a battery too.
    Their seems to be no difference in the battery platform between yours and mine other than that extra "V" shaped piece behind the clamp.

Is there anything on the back side of your the battery tray to keep the battery from backing away from the clamp?

• The rubber block that clamps against the battery does have a small amount of backwards and forwards movement to fit against the bottom lip of the battery. I assume the battery butts up against the back seat panel or something. If I get a chance later today, I'll pull the panel so I can get a look.

• On our 2015 slings there is a lip on the rear of the tray that fits over the ridge on the lower part of the battery. The rubber piece on the front holds the battery in place very well. Two years ago I had the airflow management kit installed, not knowing that it included the small motorcycle battery. When The Rock and I installed the SC, I decided to add a little more weight in back and got a 26 series battery from Walmart for $49. Replacing the rubber clamp was $8 and all is well.

• The rubber block that clamps against the battery does have a small amount of backwards and forwards movement to fit against the bottom lip of the battery. I assume the battery butts up against the back seat panel or something. If I get a chance later today, I'll pull the panel so I can get a look.

That would be great, BKL, to see what the back lip or whatever is back there. This is really the information I was looking for. Can't believe all this time this has not been expanded on. If it has, I can't find much of anything on it, and my Google-Fu is usually strong.
    The "V" block in front of the clamp should be an easy thing to come up with and hopefully if I get to see the back of the tray I can fabricate something for that as well.
    Thank you all!!

• Here you go...
    This one is a photo from the 2016.5. As you can see the tray that supports the battery is just over 5.75 inches. To hold a type 34 size battery you need an adapter.

The next photo shows the tray from a 2015. The tray measures at 7 inches.

The last photo shows the same 2015 tray and the edge towards the drivers seat. As you will notice there is a ridge the battery slides under when it is installed. Along with that you have the rubber piece that wedges the battery against the ridge when tightened down. The 2016.5 does not have this ridge or rubber wedge.

• Thank you Slingrazor. Now I understand. I can work with this and fabricate my own "adapter". There is a little more to it than I thought. Mostly the tray width.

• I noticed looking at the parts list for 2015 vs 2016 that the 2015 battery is listed as a 575 CCA Flooded SVC type and the 2016 is listed as a 30 AH 12 volt AGM type

Since one is a flooded/wet type and the other is an Absorbed Glass Mat type and the 2015 is rated by its cold cranking amps and the 2016 is rated in amp hours how can we really compare these and know which is actually better? In this case is phisically bigger actually better? or is it possible the AMG technology makes the smaller battery better?

Does anyone know the CCA of the AMG battery?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies