Downshifted accidentally from 5th to 2nd running 90mph

• A better question might be, how many of us with short shifters know how to drive and therefore have never done it? :00008172:

Says the guy who deliberately turned off the traction control and wound up crossing lanes of traffic, jumping a curb, and turning 180 degrees, luckily without killing yourself or anyone else? Oh and left his sling for me to fix???? :P love you. Mean it.

• Says the guy who deliberately turned off the traction control and wound up crossing lanes of traffic, jumping a curb, and turning 180 degrees, luckily without killing yourself or anyone else? Oh and left his sling for me to fix???? :P love you. Mean it.

Yep, I did it deliberately. That's *how* you learn, by trying and doing. Says the guy who knows how to drive a stick and keeps getting turned down by his loving wife in his attempts to teach her. :P

• I can actually say that I have not missed a downshift this bad before in the Slingshot. I was passing a Honda trike of all things. I let out on the clutch and the rear tire literally hopped. It didnt even act like it was the wrong gear. It just went right into 2nd with no effort. And what spooked me the most is that it made a metal on metal bang. I pushed the clutch back in super quick before the engine revved up to far. I was expecting the final drive to have a crack in it when I got stopped. So far it seems like the bang noise was the drive belt jumping a tooth on the sprocket. I drove it another 10 miles and ran through all the gears and spun the rear tire in the first 4 gears. It didn't pop or make any weird noises. So i guess it didnt hurt anything. Hopefully i got lucky...

Anybody else ever hit the wrong slot before?

And @Tripod im talking about the transmission gear slot. So no "wrong slot" memes..... :D:D

You know that could never happen to me.
    I can't use 5th

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Says the guy who deliberately turned off the traction control and wound up crossing lanes of traffic, jumping a curb, and turning 180 degrees, luckily without killing yourself or anyone else? Oh and left his sling for me to fix???? :P love you. Mean it.

Yeah... I remember that... :D

Wobble, wobble... Shake it, shake it... (your rear wheel Jared.... Your rear wheel....).

• This is why I've rolled every CJ5 I've owned. So I know exactly how far NOT to tip it next time. Very effective technique. Each was rolled only once. I bet you don't jump any more curbs...

No. Next time I will be in a 10-acre parking lot with no curbs or other obstructions. The ass end on that machine swung around like a waterbug skittering across a flat pond.

• I can actually say that I have not missed a downshift this bad before in the Slingshot. I was passing a Honda trike of all things. I let out on the clutch and the rear tire literally hopped. It didnt even act like it was the wrong gear. It just went right into 2nd with no effort. And what spooked me the most is that it made a metal on metal bang. I pushed the clutch back in super quick before the engine revved up to far. I was expecting the final drive to have a crack in it when I got stopped. So far it seems like the bang noise was the drive belt jumping a tooth on the sprocket. I drove it another 10 miles and ran through all the gears and spun the rear tire in the first 4 gears. It didn't pop or make any weird noises. So i guess it didnt hurt anything. Hopefully i got lucky...

Anybody else ever hit the wrong slot before?

And @Tripod im talking about the transmission gear slot. So no "wrong slot" memes..... :D:D

Early on never having a 5 speed before I held the shift firmly to the side and looking for 4th, did my best to shift into reverse from 5th! It made a very unpleasant noise to say the least! Live and learn I guess.

4 Wheels move the body, 3 Wheels move the soul!

• This just happened to me yesterday was revving it out second or third in from third I want to put it in fourth fully Spohn up and it went right into second as soon as I let the clutch out the rear wheel started hopping around and I couldn’t push the clutch in fast enough scared the hell out of me. She seems to be driving just fine but it has me totally nervous this is the second time I’ve done this in the last six months out of three years but this time I have a supercharger on it now so hopefully I didn’t break anything

• This just happened to me yesterday was revving it out second or third in from third I want to put it in fourth fully Spohn up and it went right into second as soon as I let the clutch out the rear wheel started hopping around and I couldn’t push the clutch in fast enough scared the hell out of me. She seems to be driving just fine but it has me totally nervous this is the second time I’ve done this in the last six months out of three years but this time I have a supercharger on it now so hopefully I didn’t break anything

Were you giving it gas or did it just wind down?