Why my Slingshot is parked in the garage

• For driving around in a Slingshot in 100+F temps, what I've got and tried was the phase-change cooling vest by Techniche (their Techkewl Phase Change Cooling Vest). I got mine through Amazon:

ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1495859283&sr=1-3&keywords=TechKewl+Phase+Change+Cooling+Vest&th=1&psc=1

These work great! But, there's one gotcha (which probably won't apply in Palm Springs, more on that in a bit). This vest comes with a real nice insulated carry bag, so you can stow a vest with pre-cooled phase change inserts in the Slingshot -- and pull it out to wear when you need it. I used it on a 100+F day, sitting in stop & go traffic with a full face helmet on. I was nice & cool all through rush hour. I even tooled around town and re-fueled on the way home. This would have been absolutely intolerable without this cooling vest. Would a roof help? Yes that would help a lot too (but I currently don't have one).

The one gotcha was when I got home -- still nice & cool -- my shirt was all wet from the condensation on the phase change inserts. Granted, Techniche probably didn't anticipate this vest being used by someone sitting in a humid wind blast. But, if I need to use this vest to go to a meeting somewhere, I'll just pack an extra shirt. The phase change vest remained nice & dry on the outside. But, going to a meeting wearing something that looks like a bullet-proof vest would probably not go over too well...

The condensation would probably not be a problem in the high desert -- places like Palm Springs or Las Vegas. On the plus side, this condensation probably helps with the cooling a bit too.

There are a myriad of cooling vests on the market, some of which use plain water in their inserts. The plain water ice inserts are way too cold when you put them on and lose their cooling in just 30 minutes or so. The paraffin/glycol phase change medium used by Techniche feels cool -- not cold -- and keeps cooling for 2 hours or so. I keep the inserts in a tupperware container in the fridge or freezer so it's always ready to go.

There are cooling vests which use circulating water from a pump, using an ice chest reservoir. Those would probably last for more than 2 hours. But, for quick trips this Techkewl Phase Change Vest is very convenient. Just pack a dry shirt if you need to go to a meeting.

• Good information, thank you

I bought myself 5 white long sleeve moisture wicking shirts that change into before I head home from work. They really help with the direct sun at stop lights Its 114 right now and I just changed into one

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• @edwardaneal, I can feel your pain, heat. I know exactly your feeling. My sling has been parked for at least six weeks. Ready for cooler weather and ES. Are you going this year? If you do will see you there.

okay you got me - what is ES?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Kay Two can remove the ruptured ducks top in four minutes??? Why so long time? I can remove mine in less than 30 seconds! Sounds like we need to organize a "Remove a duck top" contest at Eureka Springs. Fastest time gets a beer from each of the other contestants. The Duck himself (Patrick) could be the official time keeper. Watta ya think?

• Kay Two can remove the ruptured ducks top in four minutes??? Why so long time? I can remove mine in less than 30 seconds! Sounds like we need to organize a "Remove a duck top" contest at Eureka Springs. Fastest time gets a beer from each of the other contestants. The Duck himself (Patrick) could be the official time keeper. Watta ya think?

Removing the top is quick and easy, but if you also remove the bars coming up from the mirrors it takes the extra time. 4 minutes sounds about right, don't want to rush and scratch anything... :D

• My Slingshot is my daily driver so I have learned to adjust. My hottest days driving it this summer were three days in June when we hit 122. As you can see from my OP I will get to enjoy 114/115 most days this week which after those 122 days won't seem all that bad. Actually at this point I am more worried about winter. driving without a heater when its 50 I may just have to buy some long pants and driving gloves

Mine is my DD also, the heat kills me, I cant wear sandals because the heat from the foot feet burns my foot. Winter isn't to bad as long as its above 40 degree anything colder I don't have the cloths for I shiver all the way to work. I am sure the heated seat would help but I don't have that. Humidity is what cooks your ass in Oklahoma. 108 but feel like 130.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• @Chain, when I got my first SS in Dec of 14 I drove all winter thinking this thing was nice and warm. Then spring came and I found out why. Thought I was gonna die. Changed the exhaust ASAP. I have used my top from Ruptured Duck all this summer and it is amazing the difference in heat levels with some shade while sitting in traffic.