New soon to be owner

• Welcome and enjoy your new SS soon! I have a 2016.5 in red, got it May 22 2016. I parked it for nearly 5 months due to Indiana winter, and salt. I now have well over 23,000 miles on it, and I've modded it a good bit! You will love it.... good luck!

• Loan approved. Insurance done (kind of sort of). Paperwork done remotely with the dealer. Sitting in the airport in Hong Kong drinking a beer thinking in 24 hours I should be a Slingshot owner.

• PA doesn't allow using an SS to take motorcycle test

Um...........

I live in the NYC suburb area

certified motorcycle classes starting that night through the Labor Day weekend to get the test waived and licensed (I'm picking it up in CT where it's an auto cycle so no license. NJ same rule. Damn NY!)

.... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I put that in there in case someone wanted to use the SS to take a motorcycle test....they can only be tested on a two wheel motorcycle....

And I don't see how taking a written test can determine if you can actually ride a motorcycle... the test I took required you to have your feet on the foot pegs at all times during the test ride...touch the ground and you fail...the test also required a panic stop and doing a figure 8 while maintaining a certain speed..with several stop signs added in. And you had to get it out of first gear...

• I took my test in the SS, they was not allowed to ride along but followed me in a pickup talking to me through a walkie. The test took maybe 5 min.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• If you see my point...driving an SS is in no way close to Driving an actual motorcycle....you can't fall over in an SS.

@Bigdog understand that states are trying to deal with it as best they can until their legislators can get changes made to better reflect how that state wants to handle them. This is why you see some states with Autocycle classification. Here in GA they just changed the license requirements as if July 1st. Prior to that the three wheel aspect as well as being under 1700lbs classified it as a three wheeler that required you to have a motorcycle license (written and driver's test and all). Had someone following me back in Feb of 2015 as I drove around in a large circle on the streets.
    Government moves slowly when it's not election related.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Bigdog understand that states are trying to deal with it as best they can until their legislators can get changes made to better reflect how that state wants to handle them. This is why you see some states with Autocycle classification. Here in GA they just changed the license requirements as if July 1st. Prior to that the three wheel aspect as well as being under 1700lbs classified it as a three wheeler that required you to have a motorcycle license (written and driver's test and all). Had someone following me back in Feb of 2015 as I drove around in a large circle on the streets.Government moves slowly when it's not election related.

I completely agree with you...I'm just saying assuming by using an SS for a motorcycle license test in any way qualifies you to drive a motorcycle is crazy.

A pilot license for an airplane doesn't mean you can fly a helicopter.... my state calls it an autocycle...but you must follow all the motorcycle rules. But you don't need the motorcycle license.

• normally I hate anything about California government regulations. If they can get something wrong 99 times out of 100 they will. Having said that the way they have chosen to deal with the Slingshot (and other three wheel "motorcycles" is that 1 time they got it right. It is legally classified and licensed as a motorcycle, but the motorcycle endorsement and corresponding test are not required to drive one. Slingshot, Can Am Spider and even a Harley trike can all be driven with just a regular automobile drivers license.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I put that in there in case someone wanted to use the SS to take a motorcycle test....they can only be tested on a two wheel motorcycle....

And I don't see how taking a written test can determine if you can actually ride a motorcycle... the test I took required you to have your feet on the foot pegs at all times during the test ride...touch the ground and you fail...the test also required a panic stop and doing a figure 8 while maintaining a certain speed..with several stop signs added in. And you had to get it out of first gear...

In AR I took the motorcycle test in my SS. Officer rode along.
    Actually, they told me to wait by the cones and I told him I was riding my Slingshot and was told it would not fit the slalom for motorcycles. He said "we'll deal with that when I get out there." He walked out looking at his clipboard, looked up, and said "ok, you pass...no...wait a minute, let me see you do a figure eight." I said "ok, do you want to ride along?" :D He said he had work to do then said maybe he better. After the 8 I asked if he wanted to go out on the roads. Again he said he had work to do then said ok lets go out on the road. First thing he asked then was "how fast will it go?" I immediately said "the speed limit is 70." He laughed and said he just got 500 miles on his Charger Hellcat and planned to see what it could do in a couple days.
    @'HeRSling' took her test almost two years later and after she got back from the test ride a second officer came out to take a ride too.

• In NY it's classified a motorcycle. You can take your motorcycle test in a three wheeler but then your license is marked with a limitation. I have no intention of actually riding a motorcycle but I also don't want to take the road test. DmV people here are so miserable so I'll probably take the motorcycle safety course. It's good for insurance too so it's a win win.