Dealer didn't put oil cap back on

• So last week I got my first 500 mile service and oil change. I picked up my slingshot and drove home (approx (20 miles). Today I took it out for a short ride (less than 30 miles) and when I got home notice a burnt smell when I opened the hood it was smoking and I saw the dealer had forgotten to put the oil cap back on. Most men probably would have check but I am female and trusted the dealership did their job! I am So mad and now have oil all over my engine! I baby my slingshot and it was pristine! What do I do now I don't trust the dealer to clean this mess and feel like it will never be the same.

• Get out the Dawn dish soap...use a spray bottle ...spray the soap on the oil, let it soak for awhile and with the engine running (important) try to hose it off without soaking the electrical stuff....if the motor starts to stall or choke, back off on the water.. Use the least amount of rinse water, just enough to get the soapy water off.....Keep the water off the the coil packs on the top of the motor...and out of the alternator...When you have all the oil washed off take it for a ride to dry the engine compartment....good luck..

• I would probably carry it back to the dealer and ask to speak to the owner. Just explain why your back and what you want them to do. And give them a chance to clean the mess up. And that way they will be responsible for making it look new and if water gets into any electrical components they will have to fix it.

And welcome to the forum.. . Glad you made it here...

• We used to use quarter car wash to clean motors...if you leave it running it should be fine if you don't soak the electronics...after all it's a car fron the storage compartments to the front bumper..

It looks from the pictures that most of the oil is on the plastic parts..it will eventually burn off the metal parts...

I can almost guarantee the dealer will have some young kid use a power washer on it...I really don't see them using a case of wipe alls and cleaning it by hand...

Did you find the cap or did you lose it...

Tell the dealer you noticed it on the way home

• @Charisp welcome to the forum & congratulations on your new ride. Very sorry this happened to you. Your dealer needs to make this right!

I would probably carry it back to the dealer and ask to speak to the owner. Just explain why your back and what you want them to do. And give them a chance to clean the mess up. And that way they will be responsible for making it look new and if water gets into any electrical components they will have to fix it.

And welcome to the forum.. . Glad you made it here...

I agree with rabtech. Take it back to the dealer and voice your concerns. They should bend over backwards to make this right for you.

I agree with them above.
    Had something like that happen to motorcycle and they cleaned it up perfect as they also have parts for eveyhting they mess up

• I worked on all kinds of equipment and have changed thousands of oils over 30 years. I once forgot to reinstall the drain plug on a bulldozer which held 2 gallons of oil. What a mess all over the floor. I would not be to upset at the dealer because these things happen. They should make it right by steam cleaning it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I worked on all kinds of equipment and have changed thousands of oils over 30 years. I once forgot to reinstall the drain plug on a bulldozer which held 2 gallons of oil. What a mess all over the floor. I would not be to upset at the dealer because these things happen. They should make it right by steam cleaning it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

Like everyone else has said mistakes happens give them a chance to fix it.

I would call and speak with the service manager and at the very least i would expect them to come and pick it up take it away clean/replace oil and then deliver it back.

Anything short of that and I would go into defcon 3 and ask to talk to the GM on the dealership, if that doesn't help then defcon 1 on social media it is.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I'd DEMAND they detail the Sling, and Make sure In future A free oil change or something..Not only did it make a mess of your new sling, but could of caused more damage!! I really question dealers awareness as of late, Im gunna start checking everything twice prior to leaving!!!

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/