The Slingshot and exhaust fumes

• GOATS_HOGS WROTE:

GUARDIAN_ANGEL WROTE:

Be sure to use the search function for exhaust fumes and what other mods (i.e. top, windshield, fenders) contributes or hinders your choices. Financially Sucks remodding your mods.

[/quote]I know you guys changed your exhaust, I remembered you mentioning the better sound from the header. What header did you go with, and did you also change the muffler/Cat? The reason I've not changed mine is two fold.... I don't want it obnoxious like a fart pipe, and mostly because of exhaust fumes. My wife has a sensitive nose, and I don't want anything that's going to put off much fumes that would bother her. @airoutlaw you are welcome to chime in on this also.
    [/quote]

@Goats_Hogs
    We are running the ALPHA Powersport Shorty Stainless Steel Header and the Alpha Electronically Controlled Variable Exhaust Muffler. We originally started with the Uptone Trio. The Upton which is now the Fab Factory Adjustable Exhaust. The Uptone became a bit loud (drone) on long trips with the quietest baffle and was way too much with no baffle. The Alpha Variable is just a bit louder than stock in quiet mode and occasionally when I want to get loud, I can do that with the press of a button. I can get the Harley rider's attention all day long when I am feeling loud... And I can avoid the LEO's attention or ride quiet with the a push of the same button.
    So, we ran stock with catalytic, Uptone, and Variable. With or without the cat, the exhaust smell is just different. We ran with the stock windshield, with and without canvas top, and now riding with the F4+5. We have not run any of the Welter systems, and at this point, I don't see any reason to do so.
    At this point, I am going to share my opinion on the exhaust smell problem and this is speculation as I have never run without some type of windscreen. If you run anything other than the bubble or adjustable Madstadt windshields, I suspect you will experience the exhaust fumes. I believe the windscreens create a low pressure bubble from the passenger compartment to the low pressure area at the rear of the vehicle. That would explain why dust, sand, and water spray come back into the seating area, and the reason for the black tint when you clean the inside of the windscreen. I could probably prove this without a doubt by installing hundreds of wind flow streamers on the rear deck and various other places of the Slingshot, but that is a lot of work.
    I am trying to do things to break that bubble and still ride comfortable without the tiring effect of wind blown. (Still remember those days of watermelon head on a toothpick neck). I cut the center of my windscreen down a few inches to try to establish airflow through the center of the ride but it sharply diffuses at about the shoulder area. Recently added the Baker Air Wings but haven't had sufficient ride time to thoroughly check whether they will break that bubble.

Maybe others here can weigh in here and share what they are running and their experiences.

Have ridden many vehicles in my life and the exhaust smell is no stranger. As long as it doesn't knock me out, I can live with it. I would be happier if I can defeat it in the Slingshot as less cleaning of the crew compartment, and I could wear my clothes a second day. Ewwwwwww!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I've had my share of older muscle cars. I've had a couple of older hopped up pick ups. I'm no stranger to exhaust smells either. Minor to average smells don't bother me, but heavy exhaust or rich gas can get to me at times. My wife has more trouble with it. Other than my trips to work in the SS, she is usually with me about every time I get it out. I'm running the stock windshield now (ripper, came with my 2016.5 SL), but likely will change it after this season. I know I want it tinted for whatever I decide to go with. I will likely have over 20,000 (could be closer to 25,000) on mine by end of this season, and I've not had it quite a year yet. Windshield is getting some rock marks in it already. I do like the Alpha variable on the quiet setting. The stock sound on the SS isn't bad, and I just don't really care for this type of engine loud in most cases. Rather odd actually, as I have a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 on my Harley that sounds pretty angry.

I thank you for taking the time to post up about this. My current plan is to hold off, and look at systems while at SSITS. There will be many variations of tops, exhausts, shocks, brakes and so on, so that I can find what I like and hopefully mod things one time rather than re-mod them again later. Hope to see you and @Guardian_Angel there!

• I am running a Hahn turbo with their side exhaust and a stock blade.
    Fumes do not seem to be much of a problem for me or my wife, I would like a quitter exhaust if possible without giving up any more hp.
    Sound is great but I love long drives and the noise can get to you after a while.

I have heard the Alpha side exhaust on many different SS and I must say it is pretty quiet on most - and on some it is not.
    Can't figure that one out.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I have the ability to see the effect of two different setups.
    One sling has the Ripper with a Windrestricter installed. With this configuration I get a back flow on my neck caused by the Windrestricter directing airflow down ward at speed. With the Windrestricter removed there is less airflow on the back of the neck, but it is still present from the vacume effect of the windscreen. The ripper is much better at breaking up the negative pressure than the original stock blade was.
    On the other sling I have Madstad that I use the 7 inch or 9 inch shield depending on the weather. With the windshield lowered all the way down there is about a 1/2 inch gap on the bottom that does a good job at removing most of the back flow. If I raise up the shield to about 1 inch at the bottom the vacume is basically removed.
    Using a top and a rear exit differs greatly with the size and position of the windscreen. If I have the Madstad 7 inch set about 1 inch up there was very little exhaust smell. With the 9 inch on positioned 1 inch up the fumes were strong. The only way to get rid of the fumes was to raise the windscreen up 3 inches off the hood which defeated my purpose of having the taller windscreen.
    I now run a variable on the one with the Windrestricter without top and have no fumes. The other one now has a Alpha Side Exit with a custom tip that dumps straight down behind the wheel with no fumes even with the top. My belief is the side exit works best with a top because the exhaust is directed away from the negative vacum area caused by the top.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Quote from Goats Hog

I thank you for taking the time to post up about this.

I'm glad you mentioned that.. that brings up an excellent point I was discussing with @airoutlaw this weekend... Ive noticed A lot of brand new members post legitimate questions, and are not yet acclimated to search functions and maybe post in the wrong area and get no reply or answer. I (of course) don't know the answers more times than not, but some of these new members never return to the forum because of lack of... Lets say Assistance..
    There were several reasons Rab created this forum, and several reasons we moved here with him. My main reason was lack of assistance, and or the rude remarks from members on the other forum..
    Sometimes, I think we pass over the "old questions" because it's no longer an issue for us.
    So I ask that we all remember that when we get the same old questions from a new member/slingshot owner..

We were all new once. :)
    Thanks that is all. :D

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

Edited 2 times, last by Guardian_Angel ().

• heh @Goats_Hogs @Guardian_Angel @Slingrazor@MACAWS @airoutlaw and others, with regards to exhaust fumes mentioned above , I am anxiously awaiting somebody with a known exhaust smell problem to try my new windshield and/or my roof as well. We,ve designed our arched windshield with an additional 10 degrees rake(recline) in order to better streamline the airflow over it . The low pressure area behind a windshield can be affected by the amount of vortices (turbulence) it causes to be created as the airflow breaks over and around it. It is our opinion the greater side to side arch as well as 10 degrees more slope will have a positive impact on reducing those vortices and consequently, the low pressure area behind it. As well our roof has an aerodynamically correct leading edge to improve airflow under it as well . With my normally aspirated demo bike with a stock O.E.M muffler, exhaust fumes are not noticeable to me, maybe because Ive always been so exposed to them throughout my careers and being non sensitive to them , I just don't notice them or maybe without the turbos etc they are not as big a problem, but we,re hoping our design has had a beneficial impact on them. I know it certainly has had on wind noise and airflow discomfort.
    My windshields take only two minutes to install as they use the factory mounting system and if any of you have noticeable exhaust fumes and want to experiment I will have a loaner at M.V anybody could try for an hour or two. I,m positive the comfort level is better than with other taller windshields as well but would like opinions from experienced guys whether they make a difference there too. Also my roof only takes two minutes to pop on as well as it is just a wedge fit down between your roll hoops, so I,ll have a loaner for that too. If it's something anybody wants to consider trying please respond. The production molds are now being made as the plugs shown below performed very satisfactorily in road testing . @kenny_h will be picking up the first set from me there to perform some serious longer term testing but I will have quick mounted loaners available too for anybody wanting to try one out , hopefully, specifically , with a known exhaust fume condition for comparison purposes.

• OH AND @Guardian_Angel your post above really hit home with me, and you couldn't have said it better, after just recently becoming a forum sponsor here and on the dark side , I cant tell you how many hundreds of posts I've read in the last few months but I can tell you as a newbie, researching posts can be dauntless at first to a newcomer , just imagine entering exhaust fumes in a search engine when your new and getting numerous results, many of which when you go to them have been hijacked or wandered off topic with personal discussions going every which way but the one your researching , it can be very difficult and impossible to find accurate info without help , so yes what makes this such a great forum, once I found my way around was the fact that so many of your members are considerate, and Gentleman ) like @Tripod (lol) helped me out and saved my bacon more than once ! So please, and thanking you all, please keep it up.

• @kev, I think its great your trying to solve such a widespread complaint! Kudos! I have to say we are pretty much neutral on exhaust fumes, as any cat delete exhaust has some smell to it. Does the smell hinder or overpower our noses ? No.
    However, for those it does... when we first installed each exhaust used, and the 1320 header, we did have a "burn off" period of time where it did overpower our noses. Im certainly glad it was temporary.

We are currently satified with our canvas top, as it allows us the easy, on the go, removal and storage of the canvas top at whim. I LOVE the madstad t tops... but I cannot convince my husband of how great that top looks when it removes the convenience of being able to take it off, roll it up and tuck behind the seat at any given point of a ride. (Has anyone noticed there is a lack of storage in the slingshot?? :| )

The windshield is a different matter, @airoutlaw will certainly have a look at your windshield design during SSITS, he had issues with the stock blade, due to his height of 6'1", the wind turbulence buffeted his left ear to much, our options was to wear helmets, or... get a taller windshield.. got the f4+5 and he sucessfully cut out a piece in center to help with the air pocket in the cabin, pulling air in from the rear.. `your onto something good,with improving the wind flow, just remember one size does not fit all... :thumbsup:

(And yes sir, we all had trouble with search function. Some of us still do...as I raise my hand slowly... :/
    And yes, its a very bad habit of ours as a group to be professional derailers!)

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• @kev

This reminds me of the Tulsa Tall windshield for the Goldwing. Worked very well, but you learned quickly how to mount and dismount... that one crack across the bridge of the nose was enough.

I personally don't like looking through acrylic or lexan... too many distortions from manufacturing process.

Like the average Joe and start up companies, funds. I would like to try venting at the lower portions of the windshield... two possibly three closeable vents.
    But before cutting, I would have to invest the time to do some wool tuft testing to visibly see the airflow across the hood and windscreen.

Maybe I should retire so I could just do "stuff" all day...

• I have a feeling your always coming to a stop HOT @FunCycle... =O

Like I said, we don't have a fume problem, we have a dirt and dust problem blowing in from rear tire... Added the fender in hopes that worked, it did for rain... But so far, the windshield being notched out in middle provides more airflow thru the middle and out the back, which in turn reduces the scummy feeling when we step out.. 8)
    Maybe we just aren't as bothered by fumes as others?? I really don't smell much of anything less Steve's got his foot stomped down for a takeoff.... And even then it's not - noxious or unpleasant...

The taller shield was necessary for a taller man, the top was necessary for cook your :DONKEYSS: temperatures during prime riding seasons.... The both combined left about a 5 inch gap in front of us for getting air , and the wind passed over the shield, top and down to rear tire and seemed to blow back in from the rear... :thumbdown:

The setup now is much better in warmer weather, and much colder in cold weather :/

• I do not have the fume problem at speed and I never had the problem everyone was having when I installed the cat delete pipe with the stock can either.

• Nope, and you won't... to get the best idea of wind tunnel testing... throw a brick through the air.... notice the one to one ratio.... for every foot forward motion, it drops one foot in elevation.... kinda like a brick.