NASCAR Spectators

• The thing I find interesting is not the lack of spectators - with all of the noise from the cars and the concentration required I seriously doudt the drivers even really notice the crowd - - - what I think is really going to make a difference is the complete lack of practice rounds and qualifying - - - absolutely no track time to test car settings and tire choices before the actual race could make for some interesting happenings and also for pitstops and tire changes that otherwise have been avoided

I also dont understand why they felt skipping practice laps and qualifying was needed - I just dont see how it would have increased virus risks to let the drivers have this pre-race time on the track.

anyway, I hope I am wrong, but it just seems to me that putting cold drivers out on the track for the first time in months in untested cars that have not been fine tuned for the days track conditions is asking for trouble

Is called RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG. That is the way racing started and what NASCAR has done away with. Takes some of the cost out of racing also, meaning the smaller teams could be more equal..

• The thing I find interesting is not the lack of spectators - with all of the noise from the cars and the concentration required I seriously doudt the drivers even really notice the crowd - - - what I think is really going to make a difference is the complete lack of practice rounds and qualifying - - - absolutely no track time to test car settings and tire choices before the actual race could make for some interesting happenings and also for pitstops and tire changes that otherwise have been avoided

I also dont understand why they felt skipping practice laps and qualifying was needed - I just dont see how it would have increased virus risks to let the drivers have this pre-race time on the track.

anyway, I hope I am wrong, but it just seems to me that putting cold drivers out on the track for the first time in months in untested cars that have not been fine tuned for the days track conditions is asking for trouble

With no one buying tickets, where is the money coming from? The owners? My guess is they don't want the additional expense. These guys know how to run a race.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• With no one buying tickets, where is the money coming from? The owners? My guess is they don't want the additional expense. These guys know how to run a race.

I suspect that the majority of money they make off these races comes from sponsors and TV advertisers - - I doubt ticket sales even cover the cost of fuel and payroll let alone the cost of the cars and prize money

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I suspect that the majority of money they make off these races comes from sponsors and TV advertisers - - I doubt ticket sales even cover the cost of fuel and payroll let alone the cost of the cars and prize money

Only about $7,000,000 at $50 each. I do not know the ticket price, $50 is probably the cheapest in the house. 139,000 seats at Darlington not counting the infield

• Only about $7,000,000 at $50 each. I do not know the ticket price, $50 is probably the cheapest in the house. 139,000 seats at Darlington not counting the infield

I dont know about todays race, but from what I have found the prize money alone should easily exceed that.

a Daytona 500 would distribute something around 23 million in prize money to approximately 40 drivers - - even back in 2015 the purse was 18 million - even a 10th place finish will get a driver close to 500,000

they need much more money to run these things than they get from ticket sales

• I suspect that the majority of money they make off these races comes from sponsors and TV advertisers - - I doubt ticket sales even cover the cost of fuel and payroll let alone the cost of the cars and prize money

Ah yes, the sponsors. Same answer - they don't want to spend the extra $$.

I dont know about todays race, but from what I have found the prize money alone should easily exceed that.

a Daytona 500 would distribute something around 23 million in prize money to approximately 40 drivers - - even back in 2015 the purse was 18 million - even a 10th place finish will get a driver close to 500,000

they need much more money to run these things than they get from ticket sales

I had no idea the numbers were that high. Maybe today is different. Maybe today they're racing for pride. ;)

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• NASCAR became IROC when they started the COT crap. Cookie Cutter cars and Fraternity member drivers. Give me Junior Johnson or Dale Sr any day. If you took the 10 best drivers from today and combined them into one, they still would not have anything close to King Richard. A driver, mechanic and a gentleman.

I remember years ago, Richard had a three day weekend Open House at his home. Let the fans roam the place. He sat on the porch and signed autgraphs, had his picture taken and talked to people. When asked why he was doing this, he waved his hand across the vista and told the reporter, "You see all this? Those people paid for it." A true One of a Kind.

• Even Dale Sr. spoke against the Confederate Flag years and I think there was so much back lash from it that he never spoke of it again. Dale Jr, also spoke against it a few years back and then that got real quite about that also. All of you do know that the last time NASCAR did something about the Confederate Flag they had to take down 1/3 of all the seating at their tracks because the sponsor's did not like seeing empty seats. Even at this time the normal race day seating is only between 1/3 to 1/2 full. I do not remember the numbers at all of the tracks, but Daytona took down 89,000 seats and Charlotte took down everything from the back straight away to turn 3 and the end of turn 4 all of the turn 3 and 4 seats that had just been added. NASCAR has really turned their back on the people that made them and now those same people are leaving them.

• NASCAR became IROC when they started the COT crap. Cookie Cutter cars and Fraternity member drivers. Give me Junior Johnson or Dale Sr any day. If you took the 10 best drivers from today and combined them into one, they still would not have anything close to King Richard. A driver, mechanic and a gentleman.

I remember years ago, Richard had a three day weekend Open House at his home. Let the fans roam the place. He sat on the porch and signed autgraphs, had his picture taken and talked to people. When asked why he was doing this, he waved his hand across the vista and told the reporter, "You see all this? Those people paid for it." A true One of a Kind.

so you’re saying NASCAR is just like studio wrestling? Only @ 200 miles an hour? Just a made up form of entertainment now!

• I wonder what this false story on Bubba is going to cost NASCAR this time Five years ago, just on the Confederate Flag issue they had to take down 1/3 of all of their seating nation wide. The sponsors did not like looking at the empty seats on TV. Just maybe it will finally shut them down

• I quit watching when "THE CAR OF TOMORROW!!" turned NASCAR into IROC. Cookie cutter cars and whiney ass drivers. I would rather watch Russian car crash videos on YouTube on my smart TV.

Not really racing without Dale, anyway.

• "back in the day" motor sports seemed to me to be as much about innovation of the vehicles as it was about driving skill - - at some point they seem to have decided to try to make it all about driving skill - - I personally never liked this. I remember back when the STP indy turbine car came within a lap or 2 of totally destroying the competition at indy that year - I thought it was great and I fully expected it to lead to a great revolution in indy car design - - instead of letting that progression happen they decided to make new rules on turbine design and made them unable to compete - - I have always wondered what the race cars today would look like if they actually let the designers innovate without putting limits on them

I guess I can see the point of trying to keep things equal so that its more of a sport that tests the drivers than an engineering competition or to try to make it safer, but personally I would have loved to see what the fastest and best cars today would have looked like if the engineers had been given total freedom to deign