I'm glad I have health insurance but I have a question for yall....

• Do you think the person without health insurance would have just had to pay $210.00. This is what is wrong with the Healthcare system. It's so screwed up..

I agree totally, without insurance you would get bankrupt with "only" a broken leg or how dare a women would give birth. SAD

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Do you think the person without health insurance would have just had to pay $210.00. This is what is wrong with the Healthcare system. It's so screwed up..

No a person without any insurance would unfortunately pay $1342+ or not pay so that later the provider has to recoup monies never paid by passing it on to the next ER patient with insurance

sent from my FAST red slingshot

• Unfortunately, a person w/o health insurance would likely be billed and expected to pay the entire amount billed ($1342.00)! Large insurance companies can force health providers to accept lower reimbursements than you or I could ever negotiate. Those providers who agree to the lower reimbursement are known as in-network providers. Having or not having a network of providers in a given area are one of the stumbling blocks to allowing health insurance sales across state lines, as an insurer needs an established network to make a profit before selling insurance in a new state or area it is thinking about expanding into. In reality, it's almost impossible to assign a real cost to any medical procedure, as each insurance company tries to minimize its reimbursements to maximize profit.
    It's possible that an uninsured person might get a reduced rate by offering to pay cash, but not guaranteed. i had a dentist who wanted me to switch to a cash payment system where he didn't have to bother with insurance billing, but he would never provide me a fixed price list for his services and I wouldn't do so otherwise.

• That is one of the MAJOR problems with healthcare. You can price shop for a car, boat, motorcycle, and just about everything else, BUT, try getting a price for say an appendectomy or any basic medical procedure - you ain't gonna get it!! ITS RIGGED :00008359:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• No a person without any insurance would unfortunately pay $1342+ or not pay so that later the provider has to recoup monies never paid by passing it on to the next ER patient with insurance

I had a doctor explain it to me and I am not trying to start anything by this. If you are white and have no insurance you will have to pay the full bill. If you have insurance they will write off part of the bill. If you are a minority, you pay nothing. This is a true story with our hospital system.

• Unfortunately, a person w/o health insurance would likely be billed and expected to pay the entire amount billed ($1342.00)! Large insurance companies can force health providers to accept lower reimbursements than you or I could ever negotiate. Those providers who agree to the lower reimbursement are known as in-network providers. Having or not having a network of providers in a given area are one of the stumbling blocks to allowing health insurance sales across state lines, as an insurer needs an established network to make a profit before selling insurance in a new state or area it is thinking about expanding into. In reality, it's almost impossible to assign a real cost to any medical procedure, as each insurance company tries to minimize its reimbursements to maximize profit.
    It's possible that an uninsured person might get a reduced rate by offering to pay cash, but not guaranteed. i had a dentist who wanted me to switch to a cash payment system where he didn't have to bother with insurance billing, but he would never provide me a fixed price list for his services and I wouldn't do so otherwise.

My GP doctor does not take any insurance. I give him $700 a year with unlimited visits if necessary. But guess who answers the telephone if I call at 11 PM at night, you got it he does. Try that with your doctor or if you need an appointment tomorrow. This also happens to be the doctor that saved my life. The other local doctors had been trying to find out what was wrong for 2 years, when or if I could see them.

• My GP doctor does not take any insurance. I give him $700 a year with unlimited visits if necessary. But guess who answers the telephone if I call at 11 PM at night, you got it he does. Try that with your doctor or if you need an appointment tomorrow. This also happens to be the doctor that saved my life.

Does that cover the visit only or does it cover services like lab, xray, shots, drugs?

• Does that cover the visit only or does it cover services like lab, xray, shots, drugs?

Visits and Insurance for everything else. It is like having an on call doctor that you can talk to at any time. If you have ever tried to reach or talk to a doctor over the phone for advice you know what I am talking about.

• @FunCycle unfortunately that tells me more than you can imagine.. That tells me he is not participating in the MANDATORY "meaningful use" government program. He cant escape it if he continues practices medicine. However some Dr.s that are close to retirement have chosen to take the stacked annual penalties and just practice and take the reduction in reimbursement. Each year that a Dr.s fails to comply and start using a certified EHR (Electronic Healthcare Record) system he has to take a cut in his reimbursement.. It just the governments way of screwing him and being BIG BROTHER.

Take advantage of your deal as long as you can... Its a good one I will admit. But as time goes on he will either comply or be forced out of business.

Meaningful Use is the worst bunch of useless shit we have ever had to deal with . I say "we" because I'm the guy that has to make sure all the data is secure and that my clinics are in compliance. It slows down a clinic so bad that they can barely function. And on top of the slowdown you now have the Government getting constant reports on how many people you see and what services were rendered. They say they cant see exactly what you had performed but it doesn't take a scientist to put together a report.

• I have heard of groups of doctors with different specialties banding together taking a reasonable amount of money per month and they take care of all your medical needs...no insurance accepted. If they can do it and make it work why can't the whole system work that way... medicine needs overhaul bad!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I have heard of groups of doctors with different specialties banding together taking a reasonable amount of money per month and they take care of all your medical needs...no insurance accepted. If they can do it and make it work why can't the whole system work that way... medicine needs overhaul bad!

It could be done... Only problem is not having a way to get prescription coverage... (that is a whole other issue) and having to have out of (your group) procedures performed... But for some this would be a very good system...

• It could be done... Only problem is not having a way to get prescription coverage... (that is a whole other issue) and having to have out of (your group) procedures performed... But for some this would be a very good system...

I would love to see it buy can't imagine it working on a large scale where profits and more money is key