Repairing or preventing hood crack with a clothespin

• A few weeks ago @rabtech posted photos for reinforcing the hood on the Slingshot. I found that using half of a plastic clothespins is a perfect fit. They are firm and will not bend. These can be put on without having to remove the hood. In addition to reinforcing the hood, it will also prevents the hood from being opened incorrectly. Not enough room for your fingers to fit between the hood and the metal plate.

My hood was already cracked so I thought this was a good way to experiment. Used JB Weld for plastic. Polaris is replacing the hood. I'm set to go to Cycle Springs on Monday to have the new hood installed. I'll be adding the clothespin part to the new hood.

• I have a 2016.5 model. Once this issue was reported earlier, i looked at my hood.

It seems they have reinforced the lower black plastic section (under the latch) with a metal bar.

I think the issue is because some are using the top part of the hood (above the hood latch) as the lift point - which is unsupported plastic.

• Hope my dealer is as nice... Need to find time to head out there... So far on the list:

1. Brake Failure Light
    2. Hood crack
    3. Any pending recalls?
    4. Check for up to date ECU?
    5. 5000 mile service

Anything else I should do/ask about?

Waiting for a bad rain month... Since I'll probably be out of a Sling for what, the whole month? ;(

• Don't forget to lube the U joint...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Exactly what @Tripod said. Never forget the lube...... If your dealers are anything like here then expect a few weeks for multiple warranty issues to get completed.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I have build 641 and now have 24k on the clock. I don't see why the hood would crack if you use the metal plate to open it with. I have done all my oil changes etc and NEVER lift the hood by the plastic. For those of you who have cracked hoods, be honest and let us know if lifting by the METAL plate provided still does not protect the hood from cracking. I don't see how it cannot.

• Waiting for a bad rain month... Since I'll probably be out of a Sling for what, the whole month?

ummmmm... how about the whole day?
    1. Brake Failure Light-- they probably need to order sensors. you can still keep her
    2. Hood crack-- they take a picture, and order a new one. It still drives OK, right??
    3. Any pending recalls? -- Last one was the headlight relay. (Double axle nut needs a reason to be replaced)
    4. Check for up to date ECU?-- 5 minute re-flash
    5. 5000 mile service -- certainly less than a day!

Then, take her back to the dealer when the parts for item 1 & 2 are in stock.........JMHO

• I have conscientiously tried to always use the metal handle under the front edge of the hood to open my hood. When I was removing the plastics for painting, I noticed a crack at the middle portion of the hood above the metal plate. My hood hasn't always opened smoothly, so even though I have been careful not to lift using the plastic portion of the hood, I believe the metal plate has flexed enough to allow the plastic to crack.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• HMM, ok were are the Hoods cracking at??

As I understand it the crack is showing up in the hood just above the hood latch. If you use the plastic area above the latch to open the hood, there is a lot of flex in the plastic as it is unsupported. I suppose it has fatigued over time for some.

I open by pulling on the black plastic below the latch as I can feel a metal "plate" backing the black plastic.

• As I understand it the crack is showing up in the hood just above the hood latch. If you use the plastic area above the latch to open the hood, there is a lot of flex in the plastic as it is unsupported. I suppose it has fatigued over time for some.
    I open by pulling on the black plastic below the latch as I can feel a metal "plate" backing the black plastic.

Need to look at mine, I do use the medal plate thou..

• Mine is about a year old. I have always used the metal handle, and yet the crack started about a month or so. We can be sure that if Polaris is replacing hoods there must be a problem with some of these.
    I found it interesting that
    @Live-a-Little! said his 2016.5 was reinforced with a metal bar. I'll be sure to check Monday if the replacement hood has this bar.

• I believe he is referring to the metal "handle" ......

i think so as well... I have a new May 2016 build and have no extra metal attached to the underside of the plastic. Just the standard metal lift bracket.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• To clarify, the metal I was referring to is backing the black plastic that is below / under the hood latch.

The part of the hood (which is the color of the Sling) above the latch is not supported / reinforced on mine.

It is on my to-do list to reinforce the back of that upper area with a fiberglass repair kit used for boats.