Oil change?

• So, my dealer does free oil changes for life, so I'm going to let them do the first one (500 mi), since I don't have a lift, or even jack stands anymore, and I'm too damn gangly to go crawling under anything lower than my Silverado.

Curious what else I should ask about, depending on price...I keep reading about having the ECU checked, but as new as the machine is, I don't know if it would need it. Also, I'm guessing 500 miles is too early to change the angle drive oil? What else should I try to get in front of?

my dealer used the check-off sheet from the owners manual. Me made a copy and checked off everything listed on the 500 mile list and gave me a copy he signed.

• I'm guessing 500 miles is too early to change the angle drive oil? What else should I try to get in front of?

IMO- wait on the angle drive. I just turned over 1000 on the new one yesterday, and she is FINALLY starting to shut up.
    You have a 2016.5, so there is no greasing the rear end- check list is fine- you can do yourself- most is checking bolts, look for leaks. Might want to have them check tension on belt- that is a 1000 mile check, I believe. (Mine is fine- not slipping, not squealing..... if it ain't broke........) Again JMHO

• my dealer used the check-off sheet from the owners manual. Me made a copy and checked off everything listed on the 500 mile list and gave me a copy he signed.

I assume you mean the maintenance matrix, the one that says "R" the oil and "I" everything else, LOL. Im going to have them do all that, I guess I'm asking more along the lines of, besides asking about the ECU, and making up my mind about the angle drive oil change (I've seen 3500 mi and 5000 mi also mentioned as first change), is there anything else folks have learned the hard way, or thru trial and error?

• IMO- wait on the angle drive. I just turned over 1000 on the new one yesterday, and she is FINALLY starting to shut up.You have a 2016.5, so there is no greasing the rear end- check list is fine- you can do yourself- most is checking bolts, look for leaks. Might want to have them check tension on belt- that is a 1000 mile check, I believe. (Mine is fine- not slipping, not squealing..... if it ain't broke........) Again JMHO

THAT'S what I was forgetting...tension check! I f&$%ing know better, too...thanks for the reminder!

• I assume you mean the maintenance matrix, the one that says "R" the oil and "I" everything else, LOL. Im going to have them do all that, I guess I'm asking more along the lines of, besides asking about the ECU, and making up my mind about the angle drive oil change (I've seen 3500 mi and 5000 mi also mentioned as first change), is there anything else folks have learned the hard way, or thru trial and error?

yep that's the one I was talking about

• @KayTwo, someone may have mentioned it already but greasing the u joint... It's better to have someone else handle that headache... X/ But I would check behind them just to make sure they actually greased it.
    Also have them check for loose or noisy steering rack, and pull the boot back and grease on each side there as well.
    Also the rear wheel bearing... We need to set up a service date for our bearing to be replaced.... ||

check out this thread to see if you have a Steering Tie Rod Rattle

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Here it is Brother!

Holy smokes. This must have been scripted and directed by a 13 year old boy, otherwise informative...

I would add the following:

1. While my oil is draining I loosen up the filter.

2. Use mechanics gloves. On one of my oil changes my hand slipped and skinned one of my knuckles, took about 3 weeks to heal.

3. I find I can reach the drain plug without jacking up the Sling.

• Knowing Tripod, as soon as ANY GUY puts on rubber gloves in front of him, he's heading for the door before you can say GET BACK IN HERE

I had a good friend who went to his doctor and had to have the old finger-wave and told the doctor he'd better be thru within the next 15 minutes!8|:D He had a pretty good sense of humor. We used to go to Hamfests and whenever I saw some long plastic cable ties, I'd always loudly tell him to look at all the sex toys!:D

He and I worked at different US Army organizations but coordinated on several projects over a 10 year period before I retired and moved to Texas. He and his wife were high school sweethearts and both worked until they were 70, but within a couple years of her retirement she had rapid onset Alzheimers and he finally overdosed on pain meds because he couldn't stand being in the same house with his one true love who no longer recognized him. Around the same time I worked with him, I had the best Boss I ever had. He would assign me a project and then leave me alone to do it. We shared the same birthday in different years and our wives shared the same birthday in different years and we also shared the same wedding anniversary in different years! A few years after he retired, he came down with cancer that worked its way into his brain. When I'd go visit him, he'd tell me how much he enjoyed several trips he fondly remembered (but we never went on any of them). At least he had good memories to look back on.:)

They were both 10-13 years older than me and I still miss both of them.

Enough maundering. Time to let this thread get back on track.

Edited once, last by BKL ().