How tall for windshield

• Hello Slingshot community....just looking for some experienced feedback....I am looking at purchasing a F4 windshield for my 2015....the stock windshield is too low and we get a lot of wind into the cabin...along with being pelted by the rain when we do get caught every now and then....I have the bullet speed canvas type top on the Slingshot....so I am looking to go taller....I have read good reviews from people on the +5 also on the +7 and I see they also make a +9....so was just hoping I could get some information from some of you that have already purchased one of these windshields to see which one I may be happiest with....I am about 5' 11" and my wife is 5' 8" since I do know that sometimes that may be a deciding factor as well.....any feedback would be most appreciated.....Thanks

• CMTCB , I'm 5'5" and the top of the stock windshield was directly in my line of sight. I went with the F4+3 and am happy with it. One thing to keep in mind is if you want to be able to look over it when caught in the rain, or if it fogs up. If you can't, it can be difficult to see and drive. I would use a tape measure to mock up the height of the various options to help you choose. The +5 might be about the same for you as my +3 is for me but it's really a matter of personal preference.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I am 5 foot 6 inches as SlingLow said the top of my stock 2015 was right in my sight line. But I did the opposite, I cut down the wind scree 3 inches are just above the center mount hole. If you had ever had a wind screen fog up on you at 85 mph on the inter state you better be able to see over it or around it, BECAUSE YOU WILL BE SHIT OUT OF LUCK. Another thing about tall wind screens is the taller the less air flow/hotter the cockpit is going to be. Yes I have rode behind a plus 6 with 100 degree temps, i lasted less than one week and put the cut down back on and felt like I was riding in AC in comparing them. So far I have given away a cut down +6 cut down 3 inches and a +6. OH! that is with around 160,000 miles so far since Feb. 2015. I told one young lady not to put a +6 on in Maggie one year, she did and came back within 20 minutes and took it off.

• I have a "15" with both a Bullet Speed top & a F-4 +5 windshield. I tried a +3 shield but was looking thru the top edge of the +3 so went with the +5. I'm 5'10". By adding side wings to the windshield, I get plenty of air. Totally happy with my setup.

• I have the Madstad (Twist Dynamics now) 13". I have it adjusted to the mid-point,about 1" above the dash. It leaves me about a 2" vertical slot between it and the Gullwing Roof that I look though.

I am 6" tall, but very tall in the torso. The top of my head comes to the bottom of the top bar on the stock roll hoops when seated.

The tallest windshield is the Nascar Tall Boy. It has actually been cut to fit within about 1/4" to 1/2" off the Gullwing cross bar. I've actually been thinking of it but in the Texas heat, what others have mentioned with retaining heat has me questioning it (along with the $700+ price tag).

• I have the Madstad (Twist Dynamics now) 13". I have it adjusted to the mid-point,about 1" above the dash. It leaves me about a 2" vertical slot between it and the Gullwing Roof that I look though.

I am 6" tall, but very tall in the torso. The top of my head comes to the bottom of the top bar on the stock roll hoops when seated.

The tallest windshield is the Nascar Tall Boy. It has actually been cut to fit within about 1/4" to 1/2" off the Gullwing cross bar. I've actually been thinking of it but in the Texas heat, what others have mentioned with retaining heat has me questioning it (along with the $700+ price tag).

You can get more air in the cockpit by installing the side vents on the tube. They only work if you pull the front fenders off and leave off. That area with the fenders on has no air flow, I do not care what you try. I have been running my DIY system for years now and it works. I even made a set of wings for the top side post that worked way before the after market starting making them and charging you an arm and a leg for them. I also made luggage racks and sold for $150 before the ugly pieces of crap the after market made and was selling them for $500 to $1,000. My welder was making and powder coating them for $125, so I was only making $25 or so on each set. I could not get Sling Mods interested in selling them so I just made like 15 sets. Besides that I am sure you could pick up the back of the Sling Shot with mine, do not try that with the guy that copied mine, besides paying 3 times the price.

• perhaps I am just a bit weird, if I wanted a windless protected experience I would have gotten a Miata, but I want my slingshot experience to be as much like a open air motorcycle experience as possible. I actually removed the stock windshield that came on my 2016 and replaced it with the OEM double bubbles that were only offered on one I think it was 2015 model (got them new in the box cheep) living in the desert as I do with our temps often hitting as high as 115 to 120 degrees I absolutely love the extra wind they allow to circulate around me when riding, there have been times in the winter when its raining that I have thought about switching back to the full OEM unit that came on my sling, but I never actually do it - - just really love the open wind in my face sensations I get with the little double bubbles - oh and as Funcycle mentioned I have also permanently remover the parachute fenders, again more wind (and also a bit more water) but as I said I like my experience to be as close to a motorcycle experience as possible - so no roof, no fenders and tiny double bubbles are for me just what the doctor ordered :)

as I have said before I think one of the greatest things about the slingshot is that we can each make it what we want it to be, but having said that I must say that I truly don't understand the people that seem to want to close it up and turn it into a car, but hey - if thats what you want - go for it 8o

also just for those that dont already know - my slingshot is my daily driver, gave away my car the day I brought the slingshot home and rain or shine it has been what I drive for almost 7 years now, I even have my grandkids trained to accept that if they need a ride from me they might get wet, night before last I even gave my 18 year old a nice ride to her boyfriends house in the pouring rain and despite getting pelted she thanked me and called me for a ride home a few hours later :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• My vote will always be for the NASCAR tallboy +2

Here is a review I did on another slingshot forum a looooong time ago:

This is now my 5th windshield and so far my favorite. I've reviewed the Madstad, Klockwerks, Stock, NASCAR Tallboy, and now this one.

The reason I love this one so much is that it's a full windshield...but one that doesn't need extra items like the baker air wings to be comfortable. The shape of the windshield allows for wind to come just enough around the edge and too to keep you cool. Today's 300 mile ride was the test for that. Temps got up to 97 degrees in slow moving areas and I stayed as comfortable with this windshield as I did with the Madstad 9". Add to that...less bugs in the face vs the rest of the windshields I've reviewed. This is more important for those road warriors than to those city cruisers. I sit somewhere between those so to me...this was important. Being able to see through the shield is nice. No warps, no skewing in the corners, and just a clear vision of what's ahead of you. Makes a huge difference when the rain is falling or when you are dealing with flying debris. With that being said... I wish there was a version that was slightly tinted. A light grey would really make this windshield pop.

Now the cool part...the NASCAR windshields are essentially modular like the Twist Dynamics adjustable and the Madstad. You can swap out different sizes in just a few minutes. I think it took me about 20 minutes to swap from the Tallboy to the Tallboy +2. It's 11 screws to go from one to another.

Fitment is going to be tricky on a slingshade...but if you have any other top, you won't have an issue. Plus you'll have a nice little gap up top for a good amount of airflow.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Also as Edward Neal said about the parachute fenders. On track day on the front straight with the stock fenders 112-115 mph, Stirkerdick fiberglas fenders.110 mph and out of power. No fenders at all. 120 mph and still with power and picking up speed. Entrance to turn one around 80 mph with the stock Kenda's with stock brakes. Did not need any big brakes either. No add on's running NA.

• Also as Edward Neal said about the parachute fenders. On track day on the front straight with the stock fenders 112-115 mph, Stirkerdick fiberglas fenders.110 mph and out of power. No fenders at all. 120 mph and still with power and picking up speed. Entrance to turn one around 80 mph with the stock Kenda's with stock brakes. Did not need any big brakes either. No add on's running NA.

yep, even on the street I have noticed better performance without those damn air catchers - thanks FunCycle 8o

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies