Those with Welter Rear Exhaust

• I just had my Welter Rear Exhaust installed by a professional. Has anyone had the issue of exhaust smell coming into the cabin? On mine it is so bad it makes you feel sick.

• I did. I even cut down my f4 +5 winshield about 1.75 in. and that didn't help either. I also have the v back top from bullet speed. Had to remove the exaust and return it. I loved the concept of the exaust but it just wouldn't work with my configuration. Jeff Welter even sent me a type 2 version that did help somewhat but still to much fumes for the wife and I.

• Are you sure you weren't smelling the newness of the exhaust. That cooks off after awhile unless it leaks I can't imagine how you would smell exhaust if its directed out back. Im just talking here. I got a uptone first gen exhaust so someone with a welter needs to chime in here.

• I have had mine few months with alpha turbo and F4 +5 and once in a while I smell a little at a red light.
    But can not say it bothers me that much.
    But it is not hot and humid and next summer that may change what I smell.
    So will let you know next summer.
    I went through the newness smell for a few weeks and that was pretty strong .

• I do agree with chad, you need to burn off the (new ness) of the heat wrap on the pipes as they will smell very strong at first. A shorty windshield will help keep the airflow going to the back but a tall windshield will cause a backdraft and bring the fumes back in.

• I have a 2016 slingshot SL. The smell is so bad it gives headaches and makes people sick to their stomachs. I would have thought since it's rear facing that it wouldn't come into the cabin area. Even at some faster speeds you can smell the carbon monoxide. Any ideas as this is my first time doing this.

• A lot o variables here. What type of exaust, are you using a cat delete pipe. May need to put the old cat back on. But first make shur you are burning off all the fumes from the heat wrap. If it's still smoking when you stop ,it not burnt off yet.this may take awhile.
    Call Jeff Welter he is a down to earth all-around good guy who might be able to help you more. He has different variations of his exaust and im sure he will help you

• I just had the Welter Rear Exhaust installed this past weekend by the crew at Welter Performance during the Charity Toy Run in Florida. They were very upfront with telling me about the smell/taste I would get in the first few miles. With the sealing material they use and the heat-wrap, you are going to get a strong smell until the system goes through it's "Burn-In" stage. This is the period of time you may experience the most concentrated smell. Given time, this will start to subside to a more acceptable level. It is also dependent on your tolerance level. Given the fact that this is an open cockpit vehicle, you are bound to get some form of exhaust smell/taste at some point and time from any exhaust system. And maybe even some from the vehicles around you in stop and go traffic. Air flow over the vehicle also has a lot to do with the way the fumes are carried away from the Sling. A combination of windshield height, whether or not you have a top, wind restrictor play a major role in how air moves over your vehicle. I had the Stinger Top installed during the same weekend as the Welter. I immediately noticed the change of air flow and got the full taste and smell of the fumes from the Welter...then I accelerated!!!!!
    Since the install, I have only managed a couple of short rides to and from work. The smell is still there, but not as strong as it was immediately after the install. So far, my wife has not complained. That's the true test, because "if momma' ain't happy...!!!!"
    This past weekend, I had the opportunity to be around other Slings that had had the Welter on for some time. No smell, no smoke, nothing. That leads me to believe that in time the "newness" wears off and the fumes/smells go away. Thus far, I'm tickled pink with our new Welter. The look, the sound, the whole package! A little discomfort at the beginning is worth the end results...to me. This is just my opinion.

• I was one of the first to get this exhaust put on in May at the Smoky event so I have some miles on it. When I had it put on I had the stock double bubble windshield no top. The first two hundred miles it smelled really bad with the wrap burning off but after that no smell at all. Fast forward to Sept. I had a Madstad 9in windshield put on and now I get a very small odor now and then when stopping or backing up. Its really hard to notice and not a bother but its there, from what I have heard its a lot worse with a top. I love everything about this exhaust look, sound, and adjustability with the baffles it works for me. If you have a top and taller windshield it may not work for you.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• I have done over 10,000 miles with my exhaust with no problem of smell at all.A way you can cure any smell I believe is to add the wind restrictor behind you.I believe that should cure the problem as it blocks out any wind coming from behind.

• Just throwing this out there for you all to chew on......perhaps all that is needed for these rear exhausts is to break up that dead air in the back of the Sling with something simple that helps keep the air flow moving past the rear?

Roadog's D-Mod

I have not tested, or seen any feed back from any one using my mod with the rear exhaust systems, but perhaps my mod could help with keeping the airflow and exhaust fumes moving beyond the rear of the Sling instead of getting sucked back into the cockpit?? It's the cheapest thing out there for sure, so it might be worth someone giving it a try?????????
    Of course, if anyone wants to send me a Dual Welter Exhaust for test purposes.....I'd be happy to do the testing and report my findings!!! :D

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Just throwing this out there for you all to chew on......perhaps all that is needed for these rear exhausts is to break up that dead air in the back of the Sling with something simple that helps keep the air flow moving past the rear?

Roadog's D-Mod

I have not tested, or seen any feed back from any one using my mod with the rear exhaust systems, but perhaps my mod could help with keeping the airflow and exhaust fumes moving beyond the rear of the Sling instead of getting sucked back into the cockpit?? It's the cheapest thing out there for sure, so it might be worth someone giving it a try?????????
    Of course, if anyone wants to send me a Dual Welter Exhaust for test purposes.....I'd be happy to do the testing and report my findings!!! :D

I have the D-Mod and love not having dust on my rear wheel. I have a low outsider rear exhaust with my saddle bags on all the time. With that said, I have a 9" Madstad and a wind restrictor. The only time I get any odor is between 25-35 mph. It's not bad, very little. Not sure if this info helps because we all do something a little different with our slings. For me it might be the D-Mod or saddle bags or any other option that we do. It might be all. I'm no expert on this, but I can say I'm having fun. The mods I've put on, or made with help from members, I love. So, with that said, thanks guys with help and stay safe.