Rear End Noise Questions

• I think if it was a bearing it would sound the same jacked up.
    Look at the belt see if it is tracking correctly when it is under tension - wheel on the ground

Agree with Painter...that is exactly how mine sounded but when you jacked it up it unloaded the belt tension and without the weight of the Slingshot on the ground the bearing went silent. Even with the wheel and belt removed you could just barely feel the spot where the bearing would "catch" but no sound. Once disassembled (which was an adventure in itself since my pulley was bonded from the factory) it was obvious it was the sprocket side needle bearing.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Is it possible to grease the bearing (not the zirc mod) without removing the OEM bearing? Can you push the grease in from the side with the axle removed? I've pulled the seal off of bearings before and hand pressed grease in there. Just wondering if it can be done on these?

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Great Thanks! It's what I thought. I have used a dental pick to pull the seals and then hand/finger packed bearings that are pressed in. Think I'll try that route first as soon as I check with a few friends to see who has a torque wrench capable of 250 ft lbs.

• Is it possible to grease the bearing (not the zirc mod) without removing the OEM bearing? Can you push the grease in from the side with the axle removed? I've pulled the seal off of bearings before and hand pressed grease in there. Just wondering if it can be done on these?

If you get the small grease needle that goes on the grease gun, and there is any gap at all on the bearing you can grease it. O'Reilly Auto parts has it for like $13.99 but on e-Bay is about $7. The end of the needle is 1/16 inch also works perfect for the universal joint ( the end will fit in the hole in the grease fitting pushing the ball down ) Good Luck Mine had no grease and looked like it had been dipped in oil

• Yep. You can drive it. I would make sure they had you scheduled to have the bearing changed out. But in the meantime I would be drive it. Mine has been popping a while. I was going to get Noel to change it in the mountains.You can hear mine kinda popping when it's in the air and when it's on the ground.

• Yep. You can drive it. I would make sure they had you scheduled to have the bearing changed out. But in the meantime I would be drive it. Mine has been popping a while. I was going to get Noel to change it in the mountains.You can hear mine kinda popping when it's in the air and when it's on the ground.

Excuse me Rab, but where else can it be................. :D

• Hey Canoehead, if your planning on pulling the seal off the needle bearings I'd rethink that. It would be better if you pulled the axle out and used you finger to squish the grease into the rollers. The seals are pretty flimsy, and IMO, would wind up being worthless by the time you managed to pry it out. There's not much of a lip on them. Again, just my opinion. Good luck whatever route you go!

• Hey Canoehead, if your planning on pulling the seal off the needle bearings I'd rethink that. It would be better if you pulled the axle out and used you finger to squish the grease into the rollers. The seals are pretty flimsy, and IMO, would wind up being worthless by the time you managed to pry it out. There's not much of a lip on them. Again, just my opinion. Good luck whatever route you go!

Ya I saw that after looking at the pics. Real Genius Polaris!

• Our baby Jezebel is currently in the hospital for the next two days... :|;(
    have a similar sound as OP's video, a grinding noise, and the belt is tracking offset on the interior/covered pulley

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Our baby Jezebel is currently in the hospital for the next two days... :|;(
    have a similar sound as OP's video, a grinding noise, and the belt is tracking offset on the interior/covered pulley

Well THAT sucks...(I'm glad it didn't happen during SSITS though!!!)

image.gif

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• she did earn her "ruff ryder" medal at ssits on the Dragon and Rattler... thats the hardest Jezebel has been asked to ride so far.. I dont think thats what did it though.. Steve found a "click" noise before we left, it comes and goes, when we parked at the dealer it didnt click, but it did sitting here in the garage. :huh: the click wasnt as predictible or as often as the above video, but the sound is the pretty much the same.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

Edited 2 times, last by Guardian_Angel ().

• The dealer sent video to Polaris according to them and Polaris wanted them to investigate the noise so I had dealer order bearings ahead of time. made an appointment and dropped it off for this and clutch leaking on a Tuesday.. Friday i stop cause i haven't heard anything. They said there tech thinks it's the belt rubbing and want to align it, Told them there's no way rubber makes that sound so they bring the tech up looks at video and says it's not the belt. Says send video to Polaris again waited a week stop back by and they look at response and Polaris told them to remove bearings with there special tool and overnight to an address. so again appointment set for Monday and we will see what next but hasn't made any noise lately.

• :00008862::00008862::00008862:

Steve said it best as he got in the car after delivering SS to dealer... " I have alot of fun driving that thing.... but man is it a POS... I really enjoy that POS".

Will let y'all know what our dealer does about it.

• Well dropped off Monday they pulled bearings and shipped to polaris Tuesday afternoon got approval to replace bearings. done Wednesday Of course i had them order them in several weeks ago so i wouldn't have to wait, said i would pay for them if it came down to it wasn't the problem.

You guy's were right.

• Well dropped off Monday they pulled bearings and shipped to polaris Tuesday afternoon got approval to replace bearings. done Wednesday Of course i had them order them in several weeks ago so i wouldn't have to wait, said i would pay for them if it came down to it wasn't the problem.

You guy's were right.

But didn't you hear... Polaris engineering has never seen a bad bearing.... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......