Smell of fumes during test drive

• We test drove a 2020 LE with a slingshade. It was great but I did notice the odor of fumes towards the end of the ride. I am concerned they may be getting trapped in the slingshade? Any thoughts on this? Could it be because it is new (only had 13 miles when we drove it).

Is it normal to smell fumes in a ss?

Don't be afraid to cut people off. - Lorena Bobitt

Edited once, last by NM Slingshot ().

• We test drove a 2020 LE with a slingshade. It was great but I did notice the odor of fumes towards the end of the ride. I am concerned they may be getting trapped in the slingshade? Any thoughts on this? Could it be because it is new (only had 13 miles when we drove it).

Is it normal to smell fumes in a ss?

My thought would be the smell was from being new. Will most likely go away after a couple of good heat cycles

• Using a Top often results in exhaust fumes being sucked back in from the rear of the Slingshot and into the cockpit. Larger windshields tend to exacerbate the problem. Some folks add rear exit exhausts, others try screens behind the occupants to reduce airflow back into the cockpit.

• SAD, but true. I can't tell you how many times I've run into a spot that had burning oil, clutch, rubber or other odd smells. The first thing you think of is WTF is wrong with the Slingshot and can I make it back home safely. A couple miles later, the car or truck that was in front of you giving off these strange smells has turned and the smells go away. You start breathing easier, and the heart beat slows back to normal

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• SAD, but true. I can't tell you how many times I've run into a spot that had burning oil, clutch, rubber or other odd smells. The first thing you think of is WTF is wrong with the Slingshot and can I make it back home safely. A couple miles later, the car or truck that was in front of you giving off these strange smells has turned and the smells go away. You start breathing easier, and the heart beat slows back to normal

I must agree - - happens to me all the time, I will get a whiff of some smell that causes me to start thinking something is wrong only to realize a moment later that it is coming from some other vehicle

On the other side of the coin on my morning rides into work up highway 111 and afternoon rides home it is not uncommon for me to ride past some restaurant and suddenly have the air fill with the smells of cooking bacon or BBQ - :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Being a fan of old Ducati's cured me of that long ago. When it stops sounding like a spoon in a blender, you stop smelling hot oil, or you stop getting that fuel rich smell at idle, that's when you have to worry ...... laugh-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I will add that even with my sling being fully open and running the double bubble windshields I am still not immune to getting odd odors - usually not when moving, but sitting in traffic at a light - - oh yea!

pretty much guaranteed to be more of an issue with any top and/or higher windshield

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• My uncle used to throw the bacon in a hot frying pan, turn it over right away and take it our. They raised their own pigs so I guess he knew it was safe. I microwave mine till it is crisp.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• My uncle used to throw the bacon in a hot frying pan, turn it over right away and take it our. They raised their own pigs so I guess he knew it was safe. I microwave mine till it is crisp.

My Grandparents used to cure their own hams. After I got married, my Dad sent my new In-laws a salt-cured ham. My Father-in-law had just retired after heart surgery and they had never had a salt-cured ham before and didn't realize they needed to soak it to remove most of the salt. They thought my Dad was trying to kill them when they tasted how salty it was! Hardy's left the Texas market many years ago and I always look forward to stopping at Hardy's for breakfast when we drive back to Virginia just so I can get a couple of Hardy's County Ham Biscuits. I like to double up the meat and use the leftover biscuit to help finish off the Biscuit and Gravy Platter. Definitely my favorite fast food breakfast!