Double Din Radio???

• Hi all, finally getting rid of my stock radio and going for a double din. I'm getting the Scosche kit with the wiring harness for easy set up,.. plug and play,.. from Slingmods. Question is what is a good radio? Looking for something with navigation and hook up for amp. I currently have the 6" subs under the dash, subs under each seat, speakers near your feet, waterfall speakers between the seats and roll hoop speakers. I have the hip speakers as well but took them out. What amp and radio will work well and get crazy sound? I've got about $1500 to play with. Thanks and stay safe.

• BOSS Audio just released a waterproof Double DIN radio, but it lacks a cd player or navigation. The waterproof feature is the big appeal for me. It also reportedly has adjustable brightness and is readable in daylight.

Based on how many speakers and subs you report, I'd recommend checking these links -

https://soundcertified.com/how…annel-amp-4-speakers-sub/

https://caraudioadvice.com/how…ngle-vs-dual-voice-coils/

• BOSS Audio just released a waterproof Double DIN radio, but it lacks a cd player or navigation...

Hard to find any decks with CD. I think alot of deck manufacturers realize that most people use their smart phones for navigation, since it's faster, easier and cheaper for updates.

• If you're not looking to run sound competitions and just want to be able to hear your stereo when driving (fast), consider the Kenwood M3000 series. They are marine capable and specifically designed for motorcycles so small size. I have the M3004 to run 4 Kicker 6.5" in the SSV Works Front and Rear Deck pods and I can hear it fine. (My daughter told me she could hear it a block away.) I've been thinking about the M3001 to drive a subwoofer. And the price is much more reasonable - sub $200.

• See - https://www.jlaudio.com/produc…m-series-amplifiers-98359. JL Audio lists a variety of operational modes -

• Eight-channel Satellite Amp: drive four pairs of speakers with 75 W x 8
    • Six-Channel System Amp: drive front and rear satellites with 75 W x 4 @ 4Ω, plus two 4Ω subwoofers with 200 W each
    • Staggered Six-Channel Satellite Amp: drive two speakers with 200 W x 2 @ 4Ω, plus four 4Ω speakers with 75 W each
    • Big Four-Channel Satellite Amp: bridge to produce 200W x 4 @ 4Ω
    • Four-Channel System Amp: drive left and right speakers with 200W x 2 @ 4Ω, plus two 4Ω subwoofers with 200W each

I'd think the highlighted 6-channel mode should handle your speaker setup. I'd keep the roll hoop and waterfall setup to place the sound sources as close to your ears as possible and remove the floor pods for more legroom! Depending on what type of subs you have, you might need to look at wiring variations or changing some of your subs to a different impedance to handle all of your subs. This is an area where Dual Voice Coil subs provide a lot of flexibility sine they same sub can be configured for 2 or 4 ohm operation. If you have separately-powered under-seat subs, that would also simplify the installation.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• See - https://www.jlaudio.com/produc…m-series-amplifiers-98359. JL Audio lists a variety of operational modes -

• Eight-channel Satellite Amp: drive four pairs of speakers with 75 W x 8
    • Six-Channel System Amp: drive front and rear satellites with 75 W x 4 @ 4Ω, plus two 4Ω subwoofers with 200 W each
    • Staggered Six-Channel Satellite Amp: drive two speakers with 200 W x 2 @ 4Ω, plus four 4Ω speakers with 75 W each
    • Big Four-Channel Satellite Amp: bridge to produce 200W x 4 @ 4Ω
    • Four-Channel System Amp: drive left and right speakers with 200W x 2 @ 4Ω, plus two 4Ω subwoofers with 200W each

I'd think the highlighted 6-channel mode should handle your speaker setup. I'd keep the roll hoop and waterfall setup to place the sound sources as close to your ears as possible and remove the floor pods for more legroom! Depending on what type of subs you have, you might need to look at wiring variations or changing some of your subs to a different impedance to handle all of your subs. This is an area where Dual Voice Coil subs provide a lot of flexibility sine they same sub can be configured for 2 or 4 ohm operation. If you have separately-powered under-seat subs, that would also simplify the installation.

Thank you for your help, I'm really simple and got lost after "see". I might have to go to the local radio guy with the recommended stuff and see what he says. The set up I have right now keeps cutting out, and after a few minutes it comes back on. Not sure if I have something hooked up wrong or if my amp is damaged or both. , When the music cuts out, you can still hear the bass, it's just not as pronounced. It will work fine if I don't turn it up. Maybe too much power going though the amp? That's why I was going buy new.

• Thank you for your help, I'm really simple and got lost after "see". I might have to go to the local radio guy with the recommended stuff and see what he says. The set up I have right now keeps cutting out, and after a few minutes it comes back on. Not sure if I have something hooked up wrong or if my amp is damaged or both. , When the music cuts out, you can still hear the bass, it's just not as pronounced. It will work fine if I don't turn it up. Maybe too much power going though the amp? That's why I was going buy new.

Talk to your audio guy BEFORE buying anything new. Make sure he understands which speakers and subs you intend to use and then he should be able to recommend/approve the amp and also tell you if any changes need to be made to the speakers or subs.

• I'm giving this Soundstream one a go, haven't installed yet...it's on the list to do!

• Rubicon Nano 2000W Class D 5-CH Marine amplifier
    • High Efficiency Class D Full Range Amplifiers. 2-ohm Stereo & 4-ohm Bridged Class D Full Range
    • Hybrid Aluminum Alloy Heatsink for Optimum Dissipation
    • 12dB Bass Boost Increases Low Octave Harmonics
    • MOSFET Power Supply w/ Audiophile Grade IRTM Transistors

18 with ride command, so kinda wanted to keep the stock stereo. 4x 6.5 led kickers with hump pods for two and then using stock floor location for the other two. Then two 6" I think they are JL subs under glovebox there. I didn't have much in my audio budget left after those dang speaker mounts $$$$ so going to try this amp and then upgrade later if I need to. I got one of those harnesses that goes in between stock radio out and stock amp to give signal to this amp. At $200 and having the 2ohm sub output if it sounds good this is quite the amp for the money.

• Thank you for your help, I'm really simple and got lost after "see". I might have to go to the local radio guy with the recommended stuff and see what he says. The set up I have right now keeps cutting out, and after a few minutes it comes back on. Not sure if I have something hooked up wrong or if my amp is damaged or both. , When the music cuts out, you can still hear the bass, it's just not as pronounced. It will work fine if I don't turn it up. Maybe too much power going though the amp? That's why I was going buy new.

Normally cutting out is 1) Power cable issue 2) Speaker wire(s) shorted together or ground, or 3) too much load on amp overheating it. 1 is unlikely since it sounds sub works. 2 is unlikely, since would cut out more often. 3 is likely issue, meaning you could be exceeding max amp power or the impedance (kind of resistance) of the speakers presented to the amp is too low and draw too much current.

I did not see what amp you have now, but above comment about seeing an audio shop before buying is probably good. Sounds like you are running 4 subs and 4 full range speakers....that is ALLOT for most amps, and designing how the speakers are wired could easily be too low impedance for the current amp. Even with a JL Audio if you end up there will need to make sure speakers are wired properly to avoid issue you have now. A shop will cut into budget, but more likely to get it right the first time. That said, if you have someone who has done a few installs nearby adding an amp is pretty easy....just will need to think through speaker wiring to get it right

Good luck.

Sounds like a “defund the police” situation to me :00008172::00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I tried to hook up my new radio today and nothing! I have no power. I put the old stock radio back in and nothing. The sling starts right up, but I now have no radio. I checked all fuses and they seem ok. I might bring this thing out back and burn it into a pile of plastic!

• I know you Deaner!!

You'll figure it out....

This is nothing compared to all the other wicked nice work you put out on your SS!!

But you better make it quick!

You don't want to miss that Northern Vermont 2 day riding season this year!!!

:00000441:

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• I tried to hook up my new radio today and nothing! I have no power. I put the old stock radio back in and nothing. The sling starts right up, but I now have no radio. I checked all fuses and they seem ok. I might bring this thing out back and burn it into a pile of plastic!

Double-check those fuses. I found out the hard way how easy it is to blow a fuse when connecting the wires when I forgot to disconnect the battery first. In my case, the radio worked but wouldn't retain any settings. I thought the fuses looked fine, so I replaced the radio and it, too, wouldn't retain the settings until I replaced the fuse for the circuit that powered the radio's memory.:rolleyes:

Edited once, last by BKL ().