Aftermarket Shocks

• The spring rate doesn't change ride quality nearly as much as the valving of the shocks. Most of the shock setups for the Slingshot run around 225-250# front springs and 300-350# rears. We played with up to 550# springs in the front and the ride quality was still pretty good, the harshness most people feel is due to valving, not spring rates. Another case of that was when we worked to develop the Ohlins setups for the Miata's many moons ago. We had spring rates on that setup that were over 3 times stiffer than stock, but the ride quality was actually better than stock. Shock valving can make or break the ride quality and performance much more than spring rate.

interesting - always appreciate your input on such things - - - Thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Ran the JRI on my first SS and then the DDM 3 way on the one I have now. After some education from Dave about the rear (set softer) focusing on ride comfort and the front (set mid to hard) on handling I was able to dial in the shocks just the way I needed. Daily driving I love the set up and when I get to the mountains just turn wheel all the way in on direction to easily access adjustment knobs to increase.

DuaneIndy

2019 SS SL

Stock is better

• I have run with stock shocks until I put a set of adjustables on rear, now I know the difference!!!!!

I need to find a set for the front now....

I admit that I get the itch to try different shocks every so often, but then I gander at the invoice of when we put struts on the front of our VW a while back, including labor, and I just shake my head while that itch rapidly subsides. This begs the question of why somebody has yet to come out with a far less expensive, non-adjustable, shock that simply improves the ride?

Bill

• I admit that I get the itch to try different shocks every so often, but then I gander at the invoice of when we put struts on the front of our VW a while back, including labor, and I just shake my head while that itch rapidly subsides. This begs the question of why somebody has yet to come out with a far less expensive, non-adjustable, shock that simply improves the ride?

Bill

clicker #'s for front/rear?

• I admit that I get the itch to try different shocks every so often, but then I gander at the invoice of when we put struts on the front of our VW a while back, including labor, and I just shake my head while that itch rapidly subsides. This begs the question of why somebody has yet to come out with a far less expensive, non-adjustable, shock that simply improves the ride?

Bill

there are some low priced options - you can get a set of TruHart coilovers from slingmods for under $600 for the set.

Now me personally, if I were ever going to upgrade my coilovers again I think I would have to go all in and get the Ohlin 3 ways that slingmods sells - but at $3,195.oo - - - - thats probably never going to happen so I guess I am stuch with my JRI's

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I am still on stock shocks and shocks will prob be one of my next upgrades. I thought I had them narrowed down to the ddm 3 ways. Now I see they offer the 4 way adjustables. I am leaning toward still going with the 3 ways and using the extra money I would spend on the 4 ways for the sway bar, sway bar mounts, endlinks, and brake master cylinder support. Anything has to be better than these harsh, stiff, shocks.

• ... I am leaning toward still going with the 3 ways and using the extra money I would spend on the 4 ways for the sway bar, sway bar mounts, endlinks, and brake master cylinder support. Anything has to be better than these harsh, stiff, shocks.

That's the better choice. I have done that and highly recommend that.

This begs the question of why somebody has yet to come out with a far less expensive, non-adjustable, shock that simply improves the ride?

there are some low priced options - you can get a set of TruHart coilovers from slingmods for under $600 for the set.

So far the research that I have done mostly shows that the TrueHart shocks really do not improve the ride any?

Bill

• Ok, a little different approach here to the topic of improving the ride on the SlingShot. I related a more detailed description in other threads, but an abbreviated version is that we replaced the front tires on the Grasshopper today with Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires. Though our purpose was concerning a different issue, the absolute biggest surprise was with the difference in ride the new tires made, which is no less than amazing. Before the Grasshopper had definitely what could be described as a "choppy" ride. With the Yokohama's that "choppy" ride was transformed into smooth and much, much more comfortable. The difference was so dramatic that the first thing I did when arriving home was to check tire pressures to assure the front tires were not underinflated. So, before purchasing those aftermarket shocks, a cheaper alternative may be to simply try a different tire?

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx

Bill

• Ok, a little different approach here to the topic of improving the ride on the SlingShot. I related a more detailed description in other threads, but an abbreviated version is that we replaced the front tires on the Grasshopper today with Yokohama-yk740-gtx tires. Though our purpose was concerning a different issue, the absolute biggest surprise was with the difference in ride the new tires made, which is no less than amazing. Before the Grasshopper had definitely what could be described as a "choppy" ride. With the Yokohama's that "choppy" ride was transformed into smooth and much, much more comfortable. The difference was so dramatic that the first thing I did when arriving home was to check tire pressures to assure the front tires were not underinflated. So, before purchasing those aftermarket shocks, a cheaper alternative may be to simply try a different tire?

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/yokohama-yk740-gtx

Bill

Thanks for the tip! I've wondered if the ride could be improved with something other than insanely expensive shocks.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• If you feel the ride is too harsh or soft, you can look for tires with a softer or stiffer sidewall. I tried a Nankang NS20 rear tire and felt it had a too soft sidewall, wanting to follow every single track/groove in the pavement The Nankang NS20 and presumably its successors, are a popular tire with Mustang owners due to their relatively low cost, but are also known a having a weak sidewall. Rather than buying a tire to see if it's too soft or stiff, I recommend reading the reviews to see if a tire is known have soft or stiff sidewalls.

• It was just pure luck that we found out that the Yokohama tires provided a better ride, I'm not exactly sure how anybody could go about specifically researching tires for ride quality?

Bill

My stock Kendas are still new, so It'll be a while before I have to replace them, but I've often wondered if there was a softer tire that would improve the comfort of the ride. I've had Bridgestone tires on most of my other cars and love them. I've added the Yokohamas to my list of possibilities.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• I didn't mean to steer this thread away from the intended discussion about shocks. There's a trio of QA1 shocks for sale on the other site that I was tempted to buy, but then I remembered what Edward Neal suggested about the shocks that come on the GT. Yeah, adjustable shocks certainly have their appeal, but if all I'm looking for is a softer ride, I can't convince myself to spend that much money on adjustable shocks that I'll adjust "once." I'm going to go the route of the softer tires first and that doesn't work, then I'm sure there's a set of GT stock shocks out there somewhere with my name on them...

• Too lazy to look to see if this was already posted. Here's an inexpensive approach to changing the ride - https://www.ddmworks.com/Polar…it-by-DDMWorks_p_904.html.

I could be wrong, but I believe my '19 SLR already has a stiffer, sport-tuned suspension on it, hence the trade-off for getting the 305 on the rear. I love everything about the SLR and the characteristics inherent with its features, except that hard-ass ride.