Surge tank issue

• I've had my SS for a couple months. I never checked the surge tank with the cap off, it is yellow and I figured the coolant was yellow. Yesterday at a red light the outside temperature jumped 20 degrees but no engine temperature warning light. I was about home, I let it sit. Pulled the cap and the surge tank was empty. I filled the tank. Let it sit overnight, no signs of leaking. I took it for a drive today and could smell coolant and the outside temperature gauge when not moving would spike, it was fine driving. Checked the surge tank and it was hissing from the seam with a visible crack but still full of coolant. Is this just a surge tank that is cracked and not allowing the system pressurize therefore not cooling? I have not had a warning engine temperature illuminate and the radiator fan is kicking on. 2016 SL LE 18k miles. Thank guys!

• Known problem. Get Polaris to replace tank under warranty or buy the DDM tank. Don't forget to replace the hose kit too if you do.

Thank you, I'm out of warranty, looking at DDM (backorder...). So the symptom of the system not cooling properly even though the surge tank is full is normal if the surge tank can't pressurize? I didn't know if it was a bigger problem beyond the surge tank. At that point I'd just take it to the dealer.

2016.5 SL LE Pearl white with factory red accent package. Utah based.

• Thank you, I'm out of warranty, looking at DDM (backorder...). So the symptom of the system not cooling properly even though the surge tank is full is normal if the surge tank can't pressurize? I didn't know if it was a bigger problem beyond the surge tank. At that point I'd just take it to the dealer.

As Chavey2 said, yeah, it's a known issue and it needs to pressurize to work properly. Assuming you are here in the states, pm me your address (it's called a conversation here on the forums), and I'll mail you my old tank. It's off of my 2019 that only was used about 7 months before I put a DDM tank on it.

Dave@DDMWorks  Angie@DDMWorks what's the backlog lead time?

• As Chavey2 said, yeah, it's a known issue and it needs to pressurize to work properly. Assuming you are here in the states, pm me your address (it's called a conversation here on the forums), and I'll mail you my old tank. It's off of my 2019 that only was used about 7 months before I put a DDM tank on it.

Angie@DDMWorks can answer for sure, I know we have 300 more on the way right now, not sure when they are arriving. Angie might have a couple "special" ones also we can help chase_vaseleou with also. chase_vaseleou when you get a moment, feel free to give us a call on Friday and we can see what we can do to help you out. Like wokka, we have a bunch of stock ones here also that we would be happy to send you to get you through until we can get you a metal tank if you are interested.

Dave

• As Chavey2 said, yeah, it's a known issue and it needs to pressurize to work properly. Assuming you are here in the states, pm me your address (it's called a conversation here on the forums), and I'll mail you my old tank. It's off of my 2019 that only was used about 7 months before I put a DDM tank on it.

Dave@DDMWorks  wokka thank you both! Chris at SlingMods had a few in black. Put in an order this morning! Looking forward to winter and installing the stage 1 setup!

• https://www.consumeraffairs.co…4/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

The Technical middle word in the dex cool Technology Is acid.....to stop corrosion in the motor and radiator...it’s been nothing but trouble....it eats motor gaskets...I have 3 GM vans that have had the lower intake gaskets replaced...

if you still smell antifreeze after replacing the tank and don’t see a leak anywhere and the tank level drops, get a pressure test done....the leak should appear....

• https://www.consumeraffairs.co…4/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

The Technical middle word in the dex cool Technology Is acid.....to stop corrosion in the motor and radiator...it’s been nothing but trouble....it eats motor gaskets...I have 3 GM vans that have had the lower intake gaskets replaced...

if you still smell antifreeze after replacing the tank and don’t see a leak anywhere and the tank level drops, get a pressure test done....the leak should appear....

Is there reported issues with this in the SS? I have 18k on mine. I heard it's hard to get the air out of the system. I'm sure I could find it via search. However any coolant people are using with better results? I bought used with the intention of installing the DDMworks stage 1 this winter.

• I've heard of NO reported issues with this. Dave@DDMWorks Kyle D have you run across this?

I have heard of people having issues with other engines, but have no personal experience of issues with the Ecotec 2.4L in the Slingshot having an issue caused by Dexcool. The 2.0L turbo has an issue with the water pump seal going bad, but that is more due to the heat in the area compared to the 2.4L which uses the same water pump and does not have the issue. We have been working with the 2.4L and 2.0L Ecotec since 2006/2007 and have also not heard of people having an issue with Dexcool causing gasket failures.

• We've been working on Ecotecs since 2004. We run Dexcool in all of our builds across all 6 of the platforms we support and have not had any issues. The only time we use standard green coolant is in our supercharged builds. We typically run dexcool in the engine, and green coolant going into the heat exchanger cooling the charge temp of the blower. We do this so if you develop a coolant leak in one of the 2 systems, you know exactly which system has a leak. But you could swap it also and run green in the engine and dexcool through the heat exchanger.

They can be hard to get the air out sometimes. One thing I do anytime I am doing a coolant fill on an empty engine is pull the upper rad hose and fill the block first and then the coolant bottle. That works extremely well to usually circumnavigate that issue completely most of the time.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• They can be hard to get the air out sometimes. One thing I do anytime I am doing a coolant fill on an empty engine is pull the upper rad hose and fill the block first and then the coolant bottle. That works extremely well to usually circumnavigate that issue completely most of the time.

If you guys are having a hard time getting the air out, pick up one of these, we have been using them for years, never have had any issues with getting air out of the system -

https://www.amazon.com/UView-5…ing-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G

• If you guys are having a hard time getting the air out, pick up one of these, we have been using them for years, never have had any issues with getting air out of the system -

https://www.amazon.com/UView-5…ing-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I don't know if this is an effective technique on the Sling, but a little trick I learned for topping off the coolant in quads and sleds is to elevate the nose slightly (10-15 degrees) and add coolant slowly while it is running. These machines have limited capacity and the difference between running properly and overheating (and blowing your coolant out again) can be a cup or two.

And I've used/mixed just about everything but beer. If you are overheating and you have beer, it is most effective inside the human. But you knew that...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Well after reading this thread, I am changing my tanks when we get back from rogers AR, this coming September. Mine leaked out once while in a parade but haven't had issues since but don't want issues on the road either. soo the DDM tank it is, just wish they had yellow hoses.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Well after reading this thread, I am changing my tanks when we get back from rogers AR, this coming September. Mine leaked out once while in a parade but haven't had issues since but don't want issues on the road either. soo the DDM tank it is, just wish they had yellow hoses.

Trooper, based on Dave's response, I'd suggest creating a thread to see who all wants in on a group buy.

If I did yellow with my green setup, I may get asked if I'm going for a john deere setup, so I'll pass ;)