Do Hardcore Motorcyclists Hate or Look Down Upon the Slingshot for being called a Motorcycle?

• I live in Minnesota and it would be an easy drive to go to Sturgis in August of 2016. I have never ridden a Harley before but do love those bikes. But I got to thinking, I come rolling in my Slingshot to Stugis, am I going to get crap from the Harley crowd? Yes I shouldn't maybe care, but I respect the heritage too. When I ride on the streets about half of other motorcycles give me the lower wave. Other half don't

IMO "hardcore" riders couldn't care less .... only the wannabees will give you any flack ...... then they will gingerly ride their blinged out HD back to the trailer, being pulled by their Volvo, parked in the Marriott parking lot..... wouldn't want it to get dusty on the second of the three times they will ride this year .... genius-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Last year at Sturgis, some of the Harley guys were actually commenting to me and their friends, about how their knees,back,or whatever, would be much better off getting a Sling. I got some hard looks, but all the ones I talked to liked it. Of course I was wearing my 82nd Airborne hat! We drove ours from northern Minnesota, and will make that trip again, just not during the rally. Way too many people for my liking, but the roads and scenery are fantastic!

• Won best of show a couple of weeks ago at a local car show. There were a lot of kinda pissed off people because I'm neither a car or bike. Got a rude comment from a guy that pulled up next to me. He yelled that's as about as gay as it is you driving it. I said I guess you won't be wanting a ride then. I get most waves and thumbs up from other bikes. I feel sport bikes and can am spider riders much more accepting. I went to a motorcycle show last summer and it became clear real quick I wasn't wanted. Stayed 5 minutes and left. All and all its been nothing but positives. But from what I understand at sturgis they are excepted a bunch of family and friends went and said they saw SS there and were well received.

• Made in USA if they know their bikes so most are okay with the little toy. Again I get the "hi" wave by lots , the double take by others then totally ignored by the Jap crap riders. It's a novelty to some and an inevitable ride for some seniors. My buddy has Harley's for him and the wife but the progression of Parkinson's has made him dump his ride a couple of times and when I handed him the keys it made sense to him. A year later he is still a biker.

But who cares if anyone likes what we ride as I do it for myself not for them.

• Thats to me is number 1. Ride, fly, peddle, drive what makes you happy. I was at my local Walgreen's and come out a man and his son were looking and I walked up. Usual stuff questions a picture yada yada yada. Anyways he was like this cool. His son was like that's are scooter dowe there. The dad was like its no where as cool as this. I told him do you and him have a blast on that scooter. He said oh yea. I said then that's all that matters and its the coolest ride in the world.

• The reason I chose the SS is simple. It is the most fun you can have with all your clothes on!!! Harley riders ride Harleys, because they want to. Can Am riders ride Spyders, because they want to. There is a loyalty to to all of our possessions. Be that as it may, to each his own. As long as you are comfortable in your own skin. I'm not too much into how others perceive me and my possessions. Accept me and mine, or don't! Your choice!
    I tend to get along with just about everyone...Harley, Spyder, Slingshot, Crotch Rocket, Cruiser,...it doesn't matter. I respect their choice, and expect the same in return. If I roll up in the SS at a Biker Bar, I'm not looking for expectance...I'm looking to quench my thirst. If the conversation turns to "what we ride", I simply go through the list of previous rides I have owned. The "period" or crowning jewel, is the Slingshot. It usually ends with a trip outside to show off the V_SHOT!!!!
    I routinely pop up at our local Cycle Gear shop for BIKE NIGHT. Pretty much, everybody knows me and treats me and my wife wife as one of them...although I could care less. I'm just there for the ones that truly KNOW me and respect me for me...and don't fret over our choice of ride.
    We (my wife and I) are proud of our choice of ride! And we are more than happy to show it off. Acceptance...we don't need it. A hearty handshake and a "Damn, it sure looks nice" will do just fine.
    I went from two-wheels, to the Spyder, then to the Slingshot. "If you ain't doin' it on 3, you're just wastin' time!!!!!"

• If I roll up in the SS at a Biker Bar, I'm not looking for expectance...I'm looking to quench my thirst.

We were out the other night trying to get lost, and stopped in at Boneshakers for a beer. Too late, I wondered what the response would be....but it was only positive. Most folks were there for the beer or the band, it seemed.

• We were out the other night trying to get lost, and stopped in at Boneshakers for a beer. Too late, I wondered what the response would be....but it was only positive. Most folks were there for the beer or the band, it seemed.

Bone Shakers is only about 10-minutes from me. Let me know when you make your next visit! We're sure to shake 'em up a little!!!!!

• Fuck them, Most of those asshole have to seek their buddies approval before buying their next Chinese made accessory for their Bikes. My Honda was made in Ohio. I'll bet half of those puissies have to ask their friends if it is Ok to make fun of our machines.

• Totally agree with all these points. If it was some local bar and I got crap, I would do what all of you said above, however Sturgis in the middle of no where makes one a little nervous. I know it can get a little rowdy there. I heard it has changed quite a bit though and has gotten more commercial and tame.

• My wife's counsin owns a bar. We stopped to have a burger. 2 Harleys and 2 Indian puled in around us. We spent 15 minutes talking Slingshot before we went in. One of the guys started asking about cost. When I told him how much his response was I 3 Harley at home they cost that much. You want to trade. I said no. He looked at the other guy and said that is my next bike pointing at the SS.

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

• @Switchblade, Try reaching out to any of your friends who are still on two wheels. Find out if they will be going up to Sturgis, as well. These are the people that could grease the skids for you. When going into the lions den, it's always nice to know one or two of the lions! If it is a super concern for you to question your safety...I would suggest you not go. Who knows...it could be a wonderful time! But if you feel you might be throwing gas on the fire, you might want to choose another party. Whatever your decision, make sure to keep us informed. Best of luck!!!