up size and ringing

• ok I have 2 questions. first one is i have been reading a lot on tires and see people going wider but has anyone gone up from the 255/35/20 to a 255/45/20 without any nanny problems, i would like just a little taller sidewall. second question about 4 months ago my local dealer replaced the bearings in the swingarm for a creaking noise that was only caused by needing the two rear sprocket nuts retorqued. after they replaced the bearings i now have a ringing in the rear that sounds just like if you put two fender washers on a bolt and spin them, kind of a jingly ringing sound and only if i let off the gas after 60 mph or more, lower speeds no noise. they the stealer cant find the problem and told me they didnt know what to do and polaris wouldnt pay to replace the bearings again just to see if it would fix it. it was under warranty then now im on extended warranty. has anyone had this problem also forgot to mention i sometimes get a loud pop when i shift into reverse from the rear. rear hub bearing spins free and no side to side movement or grinding when i spin it without the wheel on. the sling is a 2017 sl and the dealer is performance east in goldsboro nc... not to happy with them!!!!!! :cursing:

• No problem up sizing on the rear tire. I did it and have no nanny issues, my speedo is off not enough to worry about.

Wash and dry the belt, put some dry lube on it to see if the noise goes away. Mine " sings" that way when it wants to be lubed. I use a wd40 brand dry silicone product, not wd40 wet.

LC

• No problem up sizing on the rear tire. I did it and have no nanny issues, my speedo is off not enough to worry about.

LC

The speed sensors are actually in the front wheels, not the rear or the tranny. No problem upsizing rear although too big may reduce torque. I've got 22 in the back and 20s in the front and my speedo is off right at 10% too slow (60mph on speedo = 66mph on the road).

BTW, it it's a newer SS, replace your rear angle drive gear oil at about 1500 miles and 5000 miles. That will GREATLY reduce the whine out of the gears. Polaris does only a rough machining on the gears and lets them final machine against each other. You'll see a lot of metallic particles in the first oil change, very little in the 2nd.

• The speed sensors are actually in the front wheels, not the rear or the tranny. No problem upsizing rear although too big may reduce torque. I've got 22 in the back and 20s in the front and my speedo is off right at 10% too slow (60mph on speedo = 66mph on the road).

BTW, it it's a newer SS, replace your rear angle drive gear oil at about 1500 miles and 5000 miles. That will GREATLY reduce the whine out of the gears. Polaris does only a rough machining on the gears and lets them final machine against each other. You'll see a lot of metallic particles in the first oil change, very little in the 2nd.

Thanks, I did not know the speed sensors were on the front wheels. Old dog just learned something new.

LC

• Maybe that's why mine did not change much, or what I thought was much. Did a GPS speed test after the taller tire install and was pretty close, guess it was just " Polaris Close" to begin with. Kinda toying with the idea of putting 20's on the front with taller sidewalls, I guess then I might see a speedo error.

LC

• The speed sensors are actually in the front wheels, not the rear or the tranny. No problem upsizing rear although too big may reduce torque. I've got 22 in the back and 20s in the front and my speedo is off right at 10% too slow (60mph on speedo = 66mph on the road).

Thanks for the tip about the oil change. I just surpassed 1600 miles, so I'll be changing that oil as soon as my pinion brace gets here... 😁

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Thanks a lot for the info I will try thr belt cleaning and see how it does, the ringing sound reminds me of the old bicycle bells from long ago, bet no one remembers them. Im also going to check the alignment i think mine runs to the left on the rear sprocket. thanks chavy2 for the info on the speed sensors.