Are the car companies really committed to EV's?

• You own a dealership with 10 mechanics ........Now you just switch over to just selling electric cars,...

No more oil changes 'Tuneups muffles/pipes and carbs/injectors fuel pumps all the parts that go bad with gas engines... ETC'ETC ...So you have to get rid of the mechanics and lose the inflated profits they make for you changing parts.....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• maybe the electric car thing is just smoke and mirrors to make it look like they care about the environment.....political correctness...in business.

I do not ever see myself buying an electric vehicle or a self driving vehicle.

• I can really see the appeal of an EV for a city run-about vehicle - but only as a 2nd or 3rd car. I need range and cargo capacity far too much to see one of my ICE vehicles and replace it with an EV. I think many families that do not live in urban situations are in the same boat. And the car companies have to get behind the program for real - not for show. Who wants to buy a car with technology that might be abandoned by the manufacturer?

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I remember WAY back in the 70's, when Detroit was trying to catch up with Japan. A Chrysler dealer in Texas swore that he would NEVER sell those little deathtraps like the Omni-Horizon nor the K-cars.

Then came the gas shortage. The dealer stuck to his guns. Then, he closed.

Gotta go with the flow, good or bad.

• The manufacturers only see electrics as a lucrative market whereas a simpler car can be built and based on Tesla they think they can command higher prices. Reality is many people own electrics for various reasons that don't necessarily fit the car companies reasoning.

Status - Owning a Tesla is up there with the snobby cars (lose this buying a Chevy, Ford, etc)

Novelty - different and unusual (lose some of this buying a Chevy, Ford etc.)

Environmental - Some value here but not as green as most people think--the more affluent liberal that thinks this also subscribes to reason one and two. Also won't want to help support what they see as the large polluting car companies.

Efficiency and Value - there can be gains here BUT the increasing MSRPs pretty much push these customers away.

The one thing that Tesla has proven which most EV gurus have been saying all along is that there is a HUGE market out there for an INEXPENSIVE electric that would be more accessible for the average car customer. Tesla sold over 300,000 Model 3s in 2019 accounting for 2/3rds of electric sales. A sub 20K electric with reasonable range would probably sell over a million cars annually.

• Well, In Nov 2018 the wife and I bought a Honda Clarity touring edition plug in hybrid.

It is a 4 door, very roomy, very comfortable, nice riding luxury style car with around 55-60 mile all electric range before the ICE engine fires up.

It is not totally self driving, but has lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise, all the bells and whistles.

And we don't live in the city, we live 12 miles out of the closest town.

In 1 full year of ownership, we put approx 10k miles on it and used 1 tank of gas.

The car holds 7 gallons of gas. Thats right, 7 gallons for 10k miles.

So yes, I sent money to Japan by buying a Honda, but I did not send money to Russia or the middle east.

Then I started driving it 180 mile round trip to get my pilots license.

In that trip, i would use the battery in towns and the engine on open roads.

I still averaged 58 to 62 mpg overall on those trips.

My next car WILL be a Tesla.

• Sadly, Honda announced this week that they will no longer produce the Clarity sedan.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Sadly, Honda announced this week that they will no longer produce the Clarity sedan.

That is sad news indeed.

That means that I will have to keep mine for the whole 10 years it is under warranty.

I bought the extended warranty with it because of the battery packs.

Maybe by then the flying cars we were supposed to be flying in by the year 2000 will be here.

• That is sad news indeed.

That means that I will have to keep mine for the whole 10 years it is under warranty.

I bought the extended warranty with it because of the battery packs.

Maybe by then the flying cars we were supposed to be flying in by the year 2000 will be here.

That train has already left the station..Mechanics Illustrated and Popular Science both promised we will all have flying cars by the 70's...:thumbsup:

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Starting to hear reports of individuals gargling with and/or swallowing bleach to protect against Corona virus...

Can't wait for death from above by these folks flying cars.

Tide Pods was just a fad.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• https://electrek.co/2020/03/11…electric-sports-car-ends/

Another company backs away from the EV...

This time its BMW.

That's because it was a ridiculous offering...It was an absolutely gorgeous sports car. The battery was good for 18 miles only and the engine was a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder. The out the door price was around $175,000. Try to figure out a demographic for that. The snobby car companies seem to believe that there's an endless supply of wealthy idiots out there.

• That's because it was a ridiculous offering...It was an absolutely gorgeous sports car. The battery was good for 18 miles only and the engine was a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder. The out the door price was around $175,000. Try to figure out a demographic for that. The snobby car companies seem to believe that there's an endless supply of wealthy idiots out there.

I can’t understand why it’s a failure.......what in the hell was upper management thinking?
    people on food stamps can afford it...

they have to be getting government subsidies to do it....after the upper management splits the money as a bonus....and there is no more money coming they stop production and it’s corporate greed as normal...