What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Not sure I will call this an enhancement to the SS but I guess it was a necessary purchase. For those of you who have been lucky enough not to have seen these parts, they are from the rear axle and the dreaded axle bearing. Had the angle drive recall done back in, I think, 2017, thought I was safe but apparently not. Got the ticking sound out back when going slow and really loud when in reverse some weeks back. Not heard of anyone having this issue since back in 2015/2016. 41,900 mi.

.....looks like the exact same bearings I just removed today from the drum inside my washing machine, now I wait for parts.......

• A lot of you have heard me say this before. For $185 I carry a spare set of the rear bearings in my Slingshot at all times when I leave home. They are lubed down with SUPER LUBE and double bagged. The first person that had this problem in Maggie Valley in 2015 (could not even drive it). He had to leave his Slingshot in Waynesville, N.C. until they could get the parts from Polaris,. If I remember correctly he was from New Jersey and it took 6 months to get the bearings.

• Not sure I will call this an enhancement to the SS but I guess it was a necessary purchase. For those of you who have been lucky enough not to have seen these parts, they are from the rear axle and the dreaded axle bearing. Had the angle drive recall done back in, I think, 2017, thought I was safe but apparently not. Got the ticking sound out back when going slow and really loud when in reverse some weeks back. Not heard of anyone having this issue since back in 2015/2016. 41,900 mi.

So was this actually the culprit? I had a tick tick tick in mine as well took it to the dealer. They adjusted the belt and everything has been fine since I’ve heard of the rear wheel bearing and when I see things like this it plants of seed that I really don’t want to grow! Was there anything in the bearing visible that showed ware or being broken /damaged?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• SoCal, I will answer you as I was told. Thought about replacing myself but service manual fails to give you any information on anything to do with axle issues. There is a cutaway diagram showing parts. Shop where purchased SS did work. Checked lug nuts and belt adjustment. Belt has some wear issues but not causing tap. Driving forward tap in axle and driving backwards even more tapping from axle. Could feel and hear tapping in axle. Bearings did not show issue but once removed why not put in new. No tap now. Also, they put in 250 weight gear oil in angle drive. Said Polaris was telling them to do. Not sure I will stick with this, sound awful thick. That's what I know. My neighbor is a master mechanic and worked at Mahle (piston plant) for 30 years. Was head of their maintenance. He listened to prior and felt of axle and thought it was a bearing. I am going to show him this one and let him inspect one day this week.

• A lot of you have heard me say this before. For $185 I carry a spare set of the rear bearings in my Slingshot at all times when I leave home. They are lubed down with SUPER LUBE and double bagged. The first person that had this problem in Maggie Valley in 2015 (could not even drive it). He had to leave his Slingshot in Waynesville, N.C. until they could get the parts from Polaris,. If I remember correctly he was from New Jersey and it took 6 months to get the bearings.

Fun I remember that. He had to fly home if I remember correctly.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

What's the part number for that bearing?

What's the part number for that bearing?

There are three part numbers, for the complete set.

Funny, my sling is in the shop for what I believe to be the exact same thing. 2019 with 25K miles. People started noticing it in Florida and telling me about it. By the time we ended the weekend, I could hear it while driving so I just loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. Didn't even unload it from the trailer for the week and then took to the dealer on Saturday. Waiting to hear now.

• 3514773 Rear Wheel Bearing

5138040 Needle Axle Bushing

3514760 Rear Sprocket Bearing

What's on my ticket.

Thanks Frank the Tank . I was too busy at the time to look them up. Terry's needle bearing fell apart at about 9,000 miles. The only reason he got that far was we pulled it apart a couple of times and greased.. I think I had around 16,00 miles when it was replaced under warranty and then 3 months later Polaris did the swing arm recall.

• Funny, my sling is in the shop for what I believe to be the exact same thing. 2019 with 25K miles. People started noticing it in Florida and telling me about it. By the time we ended the weekend, I could hear it while driving so I just loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. Didn't even unload it from the trailer for the week and then took to the dealer on Saturday. Waiting to hear now.

Got the call from the dealer. Everything bearing wise is all good. Belt is supposedly worn? After just 25k miles? It was adjusted right at 10k miles and I didn't see any damage last week so I dunno. $500+ to replace ($300 for belt, 2 hrs labor.)

• Got the call from the dealer. Everything bearing wise is all good. Belt is supposedly worn? After just 25k miles? It was adjusted right at 10k miles and I didn't see any damage last week so I dunno. $500+ to replace ($300 for belt, 2 hrs labor.)

that seems like a very short life for the drive belt, from what I have read here we have members with over 100k miles on the original belt

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• that seems like a very short life for the drive belt, from what I have read here we have members with over 100k miles on the original belt

That's exactly what I thought. And told them. And I know we have members putting 500+ HP into them. I adjusted the belt about 2 yrs ago (using Sam Owen's video) and didn't see any wear or alignment issues when I checked it last week when I heard the "clicking". We'll see.

• Yesterday I got my Slingmods LED headlight replacements. I got the 2 center ones in with only a little difficulty but there is no way the H3 outside lamps are going to work. I even took out the metal mount but the sleeve that the clips are supposed hold it will not bend around it. A call to Slingmods tomorrow will hopefully clear this up.

UPDATE:

I finally did manage to get the outside LED lights installed...no help from Slingmods.

Edited once, last by Scanman: Update to original post ().

• Hope your outside lights work better than mine did. Mine kept burning out. SM replaced them several times but they kept burning out. Searched online for a cheap set. Found them and they are going on 2 years and still working. Sometimes spending more does not mean quality.

.......that is so damn True.......I see why your a zen master now

• not really a mod, but it is a goodie - ordered myself some shoes that will go well with my sling - :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies