2017 Rear Wheel Noise with video

• Another update... Took the SS out on Friday and the sound disappeared, drove it again Saturday and the noise was worse than ever. WTH is going on? Is it possible that it's just the belt that is causing this noise to come and go?

Quite possible it’s the belt. My wife’s SS kept making a terrible sound under power. Cleaned the belt and sound went away for one day. Came back worse. After the fourth time I cleaned it the sound seems to have gone away. Frustrating!

• Not sure which bearings he ordered, possibly all. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

• Thank you! I will try that and report back.

Wasn’t the problem on mine about two years ago though. Mine was the axle bearing. Only had about 4,000 miles on it when it went. I have over 18,000 on this SS now. Had 19,000 on the first one and no bearing issues. My wife has about 16,000 on hers. Guess I’m not riding enough.

• I regularly clean with dish soap in hot water using an old, long-handled vegetable brush. I also take off the belt guard to make this easier and clean the belt sprocket, too.

After all is dry, I lube with Liquid Wrench silicone lube. Consider it part of your monthly maintenance - every 1000 miles, anyway. Little problem with noise after that.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Another update... Took the SS out on Friday and the sound disappeared, drove it again Saturday and the noise was worse than ever. WTH is going on? Is it possible that it's just the belt that is causing this noise to come and go?

Then why did the dealer order bearings?

Our roads are so disgusting I can’t tell what is regular noise and what isn’t... bangs and rattles, road noise, angle drive, belt....who knows...?

• Did you actually check the tension on the belt? A tight belt can make noise and cause a bearing failure. I didn’t hear your video since I’m on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• all the recalls have been done including the swing arm replaced. Belt hasn't been touched in a long time. Did the 10lb tension test on it and it seems perfect and it's aligned perfectly. 86 degrees here inand very humid so I doubt I'm going to be looking at it today. Probably just going to drop it off at the dealer Tuesday and tell him to call me when it's fixed

• For reference (on possible noise causes) in this discussion, here is my video below highlighting a rear-wheel noise. You will note that the belt is not lined up closer to the wheel like is should be. I was hoping that was the cause of the noise but once I got the belt back to the proper alignment no change in noise generation. Second I checked the belt tension (@cold (overnight), warm (couple hours after ride) and hot (a few minutes after ride). Belt tension is near spec (.4 inches @ warm). When cold, belt tension is definitely looser but since hot belt indicates a really tight belt I have no desire to tighten it so belt tension is good. By the way, rolling out the SS (engine off) first thing in the morning (cold belt) noise is present and also present after long rides (hot belt) so I can definitely rule out improper belt tension.

I had the rear wheel lifted and freely moving (same noise level and frequency produced) and after spending at least 3 minutes with my ear literally 3 inches from the rear pulley assembly I came to the conclusion it's not bearing related.

Here is why, the noise frequency matches the teeth spacing of the belt perfectly. From what I can tell, the noise is generated when the belt's teeth contact with the pulley's teeth. Finally when I carefully pour water on the belt away from the pulleys and rear-wheel assembly, the noise goes away completely only to return once the belt is dry again. Since the noise is consistent with either vehicle full weight load, 0 weight load (rear jacked up) and no wheel resistance when freely moving, it can't be bearing related.

I have thoroughly cleaned the belt as per manual instructions BTW and after a few minutes of driving noise comes back.

Just putting it out there for reference. I have no idea why I am not seeing this issue with any local SS owners I have talked to. I suspect it's possible sand debris worn into the pulley's teeth spacing, this noise started 500 miles ago right about the time I first drove along residential streets near the beach.

In any case, it's a minor nuisance since I only hear it engine off or coasting at idle near walls/cars etc. Otherwise all indications are normal. So glad I was able to get my belt alignment corrected.

***Another important heads-up*** I figured out why my belt alignment was so out of whack after 2000 miles (new 2019 SL). I had this stupid habit of backing into parking spaces and bumping my rear tire against the curb to know when to park. This was so stupid because it was slowly but surely knocking the swing-arm and belt out of alignment. DON'T do this! You are asking for trouble.

• Sounds like when we put baseball cards with clothes pins on our bicycle spokes to make that noise...