Anyone encounter a metal "tapping" noise when making right turns????

• Hey everyone,

I've had my SS for about a month now and absolutely love it with one exception. It makes a metallic rattling sound when the steering wheel is turned to the right. It doesn't seem to do it when going straight down the road or to the left. I was just hoping that someone may have encountered this. The dealer has already looked at it once with no luck to determine what is causing it. I'm taking it back this week to give them another chance to check it out but if it's something common/easy to fix I would just go ahead and do that on my own. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

• At Homecoming we kept hearing a noise when making hard right turns. Looked under the hood and in the wheel wells and couldn’t find anything rubbing or loose. Half way home it started making the noise while driving straight down the road as well. Pulled over and got down on my belley. Found a sizable twig lodged under the chassis that was dragging on the ground. Pulled it out and no noises since. 😋

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• At Homecoming we kept hearing a noise when making hard right turns. Looked under the hood and in the wheel wells and couldn’t find anything rubbing or loose. Half way home it started making the noise while driving straight down the road as well. Pulled over and got down on my belley. Found a sizable twig lodged under the chassis that was dragging on the ground. Pulled it out and no noises since. 😋

By pulling that twig out you might have inadvertently voided the warranty .;);).:)...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Hey everyone,

I've had my SS for about a month now and absolutely love it with one exception. It makes a metallic rattling sound when the steering wheel is turned to the right. It doesn't seem to do it when going straight down the road or to the left. I was just hoping that someone may have encountered this. The dealer has already looked at it once with no luck to determine what is causing it. I'm taking it back this week to give them another chance to check it out but if it's something common/easy to fix I would just go ahead and do that on my own. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Does the steering wheel jerk slightly when making turns?

What year is it?

Many of us have had steering rack replacements under warranty....

I didn’t notice mine jerking but the mechanic pulling it into the shop did...is pretty slight.

• No serviceable parts on the steering rack...

Book states "no play allowed".

But, I suspect there is a bunch of these out there.

My steering rack was replaced for this under warranty at roughly 6,500 miles.

So, this would be a dealer call as to whether they replace the rack unit.

As you saw in the video, I pulled the boot back to look...

I then thinly greased the rack output shaft.

It quieted it down and possibly slows the wear.

I did the grease with the new rack and at 20,000 miles, I am getting that play again.

Personally, I think the rack is too light for our application and the output shaft support bushings are too soft.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• My SS only has 1200 miles on it but has had this noise since day 1. I'm going to carry it in tomorrow to see what they have to say. It's already been in once and they could not find where it was coming from. If it's just a little noise I may wait until after my trip to CO to have them tear it apart. From what it looks like that's a pretty big job to swap out the R&P.

• My SS only has 1200 miles on it but has had this noise since day 1. I'm going to carry it in tomorrow to see what they have to say. It's already been in once and they could not find where it was coming from. If it's just a little noise I may wait until after my trip to CO to have them tear it apart. From what it looks like that's a pretty big job to swap out the R&P.

Keep in mind that the dealers are not able to stock all the warranty replacement parts and they will need approval from the Mother Ship before Polaris will ship them to the dealer. They will likely tell you 5 to 9 business days from Polaris' approval to having the part on hand. Not that long if you're still riding but too long if your Sling is sitting in the shop waiting for them and you have a trip scheduled. Make your call but please put your safety first.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• just wanted to give a quick update. Dealer couldn't find the source of the problem. Finally tonight I found it. The bracket that holds the dip stick off of the engine was just BARELY touching the frame so at times it would make a metal rattling sound. I bent the bracket off of the frame about a 1/4" and everything is good in the world now. :)

What a relief to know that is all it was. I was not very comfortable with leaving the house for a 3k mile trip with it making a noise that wasn't diagnosed. Thanks again for all the help!