To those that have had the slingshade the longest...

• To those that bought the s-shade and have had it for a while (year plus), I would appreciate to know how the slingshade has been holding up. I have looked at the older threads and seen the pro and con commentaries but I am really curious to how it's holding up by those that own it. I hope to hear from Cameron since we live in the same area, Norfolk region and I would like to know how the shade has been holding up in the VA summer heat (i.e. warping that can't be remedied etc). How are the hinges holding up? Are there any whistles from airflow? Any sign of the integrity of the bars degrading?

Also you mentioned in older threads that visibility is not an issue. I am 6ft and curious as to how annoying is it pulled up to stoplights.

Can you comment on this west coast reviewer's take?

He is 6ft and this has to be an exaggeration when he shows his video perspective example.

Also how visibly distracting is the frame with the tops off?

I will be picking up a 2019 or 2020 SLR this fall and I am really on the fence with the shade add-on.

Clearly from a fiberglass material standpoint it should cost no more than $1500 but unfortunately here we are in 2019 with no after-market solution coming close to the look of the s-shade. I have looked at them all and they simply fall short when it comes to the natural looking fit the s-shade has.

Also does anyone know if the Twist Dynamics Carbon Fiber 56 wing is compatible with the slingshade? Been scouring the internet for pics of the combination and have yet to see it. I think this wing looks fantastic but worry that it will interfere with the S-shade both physically and visually.

Thanks...

• I have the slingshade for almost a year now.....And haven't had any problems with warping or noise........I'm 5'11...And it is a problem at traffic lights if you stop too close to them, I have to bend my head to see them....Also if you wear a full face or a large helmet it will hit/bang on the center support....I don't wear a helmet, It isn't required in NJ [with a roof] When i do need to i use a beanie style helmet without hitting ...I got the sling shade because i ride in the rain and light snow it does keep me relativity dry and warm in the winter..

I haven't taken off the tops yet.....So far i haven't had the need to do so.....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• FWIW, we test drove a 2018 SLR with a slingshade - and hated it. Restricted visibility up and forward was a huge problem. I'm not that tall (5-10), but it felt absolutely claustrophobic to me. The construction and wobbly hinges were also a turn off, I can't see anything with that much play in it lasting well over the years. YMMV, of course.

I may eventually get a top, but the darn thing has to come off and go back on at the drop of a hat - I'll put it on for the Captain if she wants it, but I'm ripping the damn thing off as soon as she gets out at the end of a ride. Meansling sport top is the only thing out that I've seen that meets my criteria so far.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Regarding the reviewer's take: If you're comparing this to a Mazda Miata - you're comparing Apples and Oranges. Most of the SS owners are ex-motorcycle owners, not sports car owners. I know that's not a good comparison either, but the SS is a different beast. It would be like trying to compare Japanese sports bikes to V-Twin Cruisers - not the same thing.

I note you are also 6', like the reviewer and myself. If you look at when he sits in the SS, the top of his head is clearly within the curve of the SS top and he points that out in his view. I am a little taller in the torso (and shorter in the legs - even 30" length jeans on me are long) so I sat up even taller. The top of my head came to just the bottom of the top of the roll bar cross section. The front of the SS roof was actually BELOW my eyeline, not just horizontal.

You say you want to get an SL or SLR later. May I make another suggestion: Buy the base and have the dealer deck it out EXACTLY the way you want it. I am doing that right now on my 3rd (yes, third) SS and I'm coming away WAY less than a stock SLR/Grand Touring. I went with the TD Gullwing roof because it was the tallest out there - it actually sits ABOVE the roll bar, not through it. I'm also adding 20/22" wheels, 3way shocks, windshield, tail, sway bar, engine dress up - everything except a stereo and got out the door after TT&L for more than $2K LESS than an SLR starts even before TT&L. I added my own stereo with amp, 4 speakers, rear camera and front dash cam for ~$1500 in parts, installing it myself and I'm still less than SLR MSRP.

The rear TD CF 56 wing will NOT fit with the stock SS top but WILL fit with the TD Gullwing.

BTW, there are plenty of other roofs out there too - Check Twist Dynamics, Slingmods, AllthingsSlingshot, MeanSling, etc for other ideas.

• I have not owned the Slingshade top, but I have looked at one and examined it and personally of all of the different tops available I like it the least. doesnt seem to be nearly as well made as most of the other tops, is more expensive and frankly I think its ugly. If you want a full time top get something like the Twist Dynamics gull wing or if you are like me and think you will want to ride topless most of the time get a MeanSling top

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have spent waay too much time doing custom builds of the different trim models on slingshots website and every time I keep seeing the SLR come out with the best value. Keep in mind all those manual add-ons have labor costs associated at the dealership. My dealership said expect a 500 dollar charge for the roof and a new windshield alone. I have scoured the 3rd party market websites and looked at many install videos and for me at my age it's just not worth it trying to save some bucks with 3rd party solutions. The only 3rd party solution that I will be buying at the same time as the vehicle is the LED headlight kit, that is a must for my tastes. Other than maybe some wheel edge striping that's it. The SLR package is great but I will be getting the garage door system and rear wheel fender as the only add-ons from the dealer. The roof is still my only pending decision. I continue to scour the internet posting to get honest feedback from the owners of the roof, not interested hearing the haters feedback for obvious reasons.

None of the 3rd party roofs impressed me with their designs. The stinger design clearly had the most robust material build (at the cost of almost 3k and you still have to install it) but all of them look cheap when it comes to form.

Everyone is wired differently so just like those attacking the slingshade with its faults, I find faults with the other solutions. One makes the the SS look more like a dune buggy, another looks like a patio awning etc etc, it's very easy to attack a product you are not committed to or don't have access to.

Let's be honest the biggest haters out there are the ones that can't use them (older models) or have committed to another design (before the shade came out). Is the shade perfect, hell no. It's flimsy and waaay overpriced. It should be no more than $1500. But polaris has their customer base by the balls since this is the only design they are offering and I still think it has the most natural form to the vehicle, flimsy build aside.

Having owned sportbikes, I know all about the open-air nothing-in-front-of-you experience but I also owned a 1999 Ram Air Transam with T-tops so I don't have issues with the shade closed-in design. To each their own....

• FWIW, we test drove a 2018 SLR with a slingshade - and hated it. Restricted visibility up and forward was a huge problem. I'm not that tall (5-10), but it felt absolutely claustrophobic to me. The construction and wobbly hinges were also a turn off, I can't see anything with that much play in it lasting well over the years. YMMV, of course.

I may eventually get a top, but the darn thing has to come off and go back on at the drop of a hat - I'll put it on for the Captain if she wants it, but I'm ripping the damn thing off as soon as she gets out at the end of a ride. Meansling sport top is the only thing out that I've seen that meets my criteria so far.

And that's where we make a case that everyone has different tastes. I will take flimsy construction and claustrophobic feel over a design that looks like a horizontal pull-down shade screen I remember seeing that design in cars back in the seventies and eighties. Sure it's great with function simplicity but god awful in the looks department (hence why that fad died out and window tints have ruled supreme since).

Like you said mileage will vary and thankfully the feedback I am seeing from at least one owner states that it's holding up plus I am not seeing any disgruntled youtube videos showcasing a crappy slingshade...yet.

I don't plan to hang on to my SS for more than 5 years by then I expect an electric version from polaris or a competitor for this 3-wheel category. Already vanderhall is out the gate with their Edison brand but they are having production delays so I suspect at least 5 years before an electric version will be truly tested and widely available for this niche market.

• I have not owned the Slingshade top, but I have looked at one and examined it and personally of all of the different tops available I like it the least. doesnt seem to be nearly as well made as most of the other tops, is more expensive and frankly I think its ugly. If you want a full time top get something like the Twist Dynamics gull wing or if you are like me and think you will want to ride topless most of the time get a MeanSling top

Like I said in my other posts those designs look very tacked on and un-natural to the form of the vehicle, but that's just me. All I can say is I am coming into this with no bias since I don't even own a slingshot yet and right now the insane markup for the shade is the only negative factor for ME. I still have a few months to go before purchase and await to see what changes with the 2020 model (if anything at all).

• I note you are also 6', like the reviewer and myself. If you look at when he sits in the SS, the top of his head is clearly within the curve of the SS top and he points that out in his view. I am a little taller in the torso (and shorter in the legs - even 30" length jeans on me are long) so I sat up even taller. The top of my head came to just the bottom of the top of the roll bar cross section. The front of the SS roof was actually BELOW my eyeline, not just horizontal.

I just need to follow-up on this with you. Are you saying you own the shade with your slignshot or are you guessing about the sightline. I was really hoping that the edge of the shade front is not below the horizontal sightline. If that's the case then I will not do the roof at purchase and continue to wait and see what the aftermarket comes up with moving forward. The TD gull-wing design just looks off to me for some reason. Also after scrutinizing the pics on the TD website the front top bar looks identical in height to the slingshade build so basically you are looking through those forward see through panels assuming it has the same height problem as the slingshade.

Something you might find interesting I did come across one youtube video that showcasing a heavilly modded SS in miami with the shade and the wing, after looking at the video carefully it's clear they had to cut off part of the rear edge of the shade spoilers to make it work. I love that wing, it looks do damn good by itself and not that good with any roof because it becomes obscured from many angles. I think that wing is the best product coming from the TD shop.

• Here is why I have issues with the gull-wing: gullwing250-100x100.png Note how the horizontal bars protrude? It gives the whole aesthetic a more dune buggy feel. It also makes the cover pieces look too small giving it a more tacked on feel. Had they designed the cover pieces to cover the front bars and allow for a more natural aerodynamic look all around it would be a hell of a lot more appealing to me. I suspect that would have raised costs to the point of matching the shade price but to be fair the build quality from what I have seen in videos look superior to the shade.

One thing to note that most don't realize is that these bars are aluminum (probably the case for all 3rd party solutions) vs. the shade which is suppose to be fiberglass (for weight savings?). Which do you think costs more to make? My educated guess is that polaris makes the shade in the same plant that the rest of the bodywork paneling is made hence easy access to fiberglass construction systems.

• the TD gull wing sits above the roll hoops, the Slingshade sits several inches down on the roll hoops - front bar above the windshield is a good deal higher than the front bar on the Slingshade

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I just need to follow-up on this with you. Are you saying you own the shade with your slignshot or are you guessing about the sightline. I was really hoping that the edge of the shade front is not below the horizontal sightline. If that's the case then I will not do the roof at purchase and continue to wait and see what the aftermarket comes up with moving forward. The TD gull-wing design just looks off to me for some reason. Also after scrutinizing the pics on the TD website the front top bar looks identical in height to the slingshade build so basically you are looking through those forward see through panels assuming it has the same height problem as the slingshade.

I'm on my 3rd SS - and the first with a roof (I actually don't have the roof YET, but I sat in my twin at Kerrville). I also sat in the GT with the Slingshade and the roof was clearly below my sight line. In fact, I couldn't even wear a helmet as it hit the roof. Please note that I am taller in the torso than most so your experience my be different, just like the guy on the video. I also tried all the other roofs at Kerrville (ask how many people I asked to sit in their SS!) so I felt the GullWing was the best for ME. To me the GW roof was at least 4-5" taller than the stock SlingShade. Mind you, I LIKE the SlingShade design - just I need it to go OVER the roll hoops instead of through.

I don't mind the dune buggy feel myself. To me, it looks just like an extension of the frame. But the non-GW styles made you crawl in through "the window" which I didn't like.

And I can definitely CONFIRM that the TD CF 56 Wing WILL fit on the TD GW Roof - again, my twin @ Kerrville had it. In fact, here's a pic of my twin with the GW roof and the Wing. (My frame will be white and I went with the body tail fin instead of the CF Wing.)

BTW, note the pricing on that Twin - I got mine OTD after TT&L and all the accessories for less than that. I got a TD GW Roof painted white, 20" Front/22"Rear wheels and Nitto tires, TD Triple Adj shocks, TD Sway Bar, Painted Valve Cover & Coil Cover, TD CAI, TD Gloss Black Rear Fin, and some other small things.

Let's be clear: I am NOT trying to tell you to buy all the TD Accessories or the GW roof. I am simply saying that you may be able to put together a package with stuff you want and nothing you don't that works out better in the long run. My dealer was willing to work with me on the pricing, noting that they were still getting some profit margin from the parts too so there was plenty of room to play there as a total package. In fact, I just delivered the SS back to the dealer on Tuesday to add all those parts and should pick it up next week.

• Welcome neostar !!

Just one thing, all the body panels are ABS (plastic). No fiberglass.

The official polaris website states fiberglass.....

Color Black Pearl
    Material Fiberglass
    Finish Metallic- Gloss
    Convenience Features Friction hinge technology, dual closure doors, ergonomic design
    Ease Of Installation Dealer Only
    Does Not Work With Slingshade® only fits MY17-18 Slingshot® Models ONLY (does not fit vehicles MY16 and older).
    Recommended With Slingshade® Dust Cover
    Product Dimensions 59"L x 69"W x 26"H
    Storage Capacity 0
    Care And Cleaning Please see your Slingshot® manual for specific cleaning and maintenance instructions.
    Warranty 1 Year From Date of Purchase
  • Let's be clear: I am NOT trying to tell you to buy all the TD Accessories or the GW roof. I am simply saying that you may be able to put together a package with stuff you want and nothing you don't that works out better in the long run. My dealer was willing to work with me on the pricing, noting that they were still getting some profit margin from the parts too so there was plenty of room to play there as a total package. In fact, I just delivered the SS back to the dealer on Tuesday to add all those parts and should pick it up next week.

At first I couldn't agree with your opinion on this (based on my experience with a polaris dealership) but thankfully I just met a used bike dealership owner who happens to be a huge fan of slingshots and owns one. After sitting down with him and talking about aftermarket prices and installs that he does I now fully concur with your statement.

My gameplan has totally changed and I am now working with him on finding a used 2018/19 low milage S on the market. He just sold a 2017 SL that had 256 miles on it. I asked how is this possible he said it was a rich business owner that had no time to enjoy it and wanted to move on to a new toy. He is confident he can find a low milage S in the coming weeks. With the potential money savings of buying a low mileage (under 1k miles) S, I will be able to build it up with high-quality after market items that will meet or exceed the stock SLR offering and save a ton of money in the long run.

Worst case I buy a new 2019 S and work with this guy to build it up to an SLR standard.

• I put my shade on during the winter of 17/18. The driver side lid was warped the day I put it on and it hasn’t changed. We’ve put over 16k miles on ours and have tested it well into the triple digits on many occasions without issue.

I am 59, 5,11” 245lbs w/32” inseam. I normally do not raise the lid to get in or out.

Yes it’s a flimsy piece of crap that costs 4X what I t should.

That being said it is the best looking top on the market and besides looking like it belongs on the sling it is functional at taking care of air currents. It is not hot or claustrophobic. I have worn a full face helmet when on the track without issue. As far as traffic lights go, some I have to bend down a bit, others I can look through the port hole in the top and others are no issue at all.

Bottom line, if something happened to the top I have I would replace it with,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????? You guessed it, another SlingShade.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• That’s interesting neostar. That’s the thinnest fiberglass I’ve ever seen used. I have cut my hood and added screens and have cut or worked on other panels. Nothing else on the body is fiberglass. Odd that Polaris would have all the body done in plastic and not continue with it for the top. Will be in the plant in a week and a half. Will have to ask them why they chose a different material fo their top.