Belt screeching

• I am so freakin tired of the belt screeching. I have noticed that it only does it when the temperature drops. So what the hell am I supposed to do not ride when it's cold out. Some people don't care about the screeching but when people HEAR you instead of SEEING you that is a problem to me. Don't suggest taking it my dealer cause they too are a freakin joke. This SS is like anything else, once you buy it it's your baby and YOUR problem. I will sooner or later give up on it or remove the freakin belt and pedal it like the damn Flinstones. :cursing:X(:evil:

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

• frehleycomet

Changed the title of the thread from “Belt screeching or whatever it is” to “Belt screeching”.
  • Well, let's see, rather than starting yet another thread on this topic, the SlingShot is now over four years old and since it's introduction there has been literally hundreds, (thousands?), of posts presented concerning belt maintenance, both here and https://www.slingshotforums.com/. May I suggest that you set aside a couple of hours, stock up on the beverage and snacks of your choice, find the search buttons, and I can pretty much assure you that you that not only will you find the answers in which you seek, you will also get a great education and enlightenment concerning maintaining your own SlingShot!

Have fun! :thumbsup:

Bill

• Thanks wjfyfe we needed that. More people need to use the search function BEFORE asking questions on the maintance or some of the problems that they have with their Slingshot's. I am not being negative about this, like wjfyfe says there are more threads on here than you may care to read. But a very lot of good info.

• You know, in 76,000 miles I very rarely even check the belt except to clean it and have never adjusted it. Some people!

Well, FunCycle, like you, we too have been very fortunate ourselves not to suffer many of the common ailments associated with the SlingShot over the years, but it doesn't hurt to understand how to correct a problem if/when, one finally pops up, does it? :)

• Maybe to help you start out on the right foot, I would suggest acquiring an maintenance manual, (check your PMs), and purchasing a simple Belt tension gauge , ( https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mot…C232&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_29), the rest of the tools necessary will naturally follow! ;)

Bill

I have the manual and I have a belt tension gauge but why does this only happen with the cold weather. You would think it would do it all the time if the belt tension was off.

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

• Well, FunCycle, like you, we too have been very fortunate ourselves not to suffer many of the common ailments associated with the SlingShot over the years, but it doesn't hurt to understand how to correct a problem if/when, one finally pops up, does it? :)

I have done my own maintance on my cars, motorcycles and even built a couple of Hot Rods it does not hurt to know how. Back in electronics school years ago an instructor told us that there was no way to remember everything. The important part was knowing where to look for the information that you needed to do the job and that my friends is the most important part.

• I have the manual and I have a belt tension gauge but why does this only happen with the cold weather. You would think it would do it all the time if the belt tension was off.

I am by far no expert on this topic, but it has been my experience that as the temperature drops the belt naturally tends to get less resilient while the tension decreases. With a looser belt it will tend to "wander" further to the outside across the rear pulley more. When starting out on a ride with the temps near, or below, freezing, our belt too has a tendency to screech until it warms up a little a few miles down the road. Over the years we have found a "sweet spot" of adjustment to minimize this, but it took some trial and error experimentation, where each SlingShot appears to tend to have it's own personality! ;)

Bill

• I can understand frehleycomet 's aggravation.

Dealt with it for awhile.

The difference between his and mine...

His only squeals in cold weather, which would indicate incorrect tension.

Mine would squeal hot, cold, almost any rpm or gear, and always during acceleration.

The alignment adjustment on mine does not work as described in the manual... a source of malcontent that two dealers fail to recognize.

Final outcome finding the angle drive was cocked in the frame cradle. Found by backing out the mounting bolts almost to removal and moving the angle drive backward.

Very frustrating.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• First question should be....how much rear end noise is considered normal? Should it be making any noise or is there a certain amount of normal noise?

My rear end is making some noise....is it belt or angle drive I don’t know....does the angle drive make a normal amount of noise?