New larger MeanSling travel bag ... Design input needed

• I love my hoop bags. They hold a lot of my clothes and items for a weekend trip. If they had more structure to keep them round while mounted would be nice. Mine sort of droop when loaded and mounted.

:BLUESS:

2016.5 Blue Fire

Meansling Quick Shade

CAI, Twist Header, Welter Performance Bagger, Pedal Commander

Twist hose kit, DDM coolant tank. TricLED upper brow lights, LED Headlights, 6 ring chasing halos, chasing body lights, chasing under-glows, 360 flex-style wheel lights, lower brow lights, TufSKINZ kits. D ring steering wheel. Baker Air Wings, aftermarket velocity style seats, Twist foam mats, battery jump ports.

• I love my hoop bags. They hold a lot of my clothes and items for a weekend trip. If they had more structure to keep them round while mounted would be nice. Mine sort of droop when loaded and mounted.

I'm taking a sheet of shower wall,.. bought at Home Depot,.. 1/16" or so thick, cut the round ends and a piece the length and circumference of the bags, put them inside to hold the shape. Going to add some molding around all the plastic so the edge doesn't cut into the bags. The plastic is flexible enough to put gear in, but stiff enough to hold the shape when empty. Below are pics trying it with cardboard.

• I'm taking a sheet of shower wall,.. bought at Home Depot,.. 1/16" or so thick, cut the round ends and a piece the length and circumference of the bags, put them inside to hold the shape. Going to add some molding around all the plastic so the edge doesn't cut into the bags. The plastic is flexible enough to put gear in, but stiff enough to hold the shape when empty. Below are pics trying it with cardboard.

Thank you for the idea.

2016.5 Blue Fire

Meansling Quick Shade

Twist hose kit, DDM coolant tank. TricLED upper brow lights, LED Headlights, 6 ring chasing halos, chasing body lights, chasing under-glows, 360 flex-style wheel lights, lower brow lights, TufSKINZ kits. D ring steering wheel. Baker Air Wings, aftermarket velocity style seats, Twist foam mats, battery jump ports.

• I'm taking a sheet of shower wall,.. bought at Home Depot,.. 1/16" or so thick, cut the round ends and a piece the length and circumference of the bags, put them inside to hold the shape. Going to add some molding around all the plastic so the edge doesn't cut into the bags. The plastic is flexible enough to put gear in, but stiff enough to hold the shape when empty. Below are pics trying it with cardboard.

This may save you some time - I use this for a lot of projects. It is 1/4" thick rubber sheets sold by the foot at tractor supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/…-by-the-foot?cm_vc=-10005

Hope it helps.

Can't wait to see how it all works out

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• All very good suggestions. I have actually had a set of more expensive hoop bags with stiffer material and support made for testing and pricing. If it is something people would like maybe I revisit the idea. The goal of the hoop bags have always been a cost effective way to pack and go. If fully packed they do have the supported look.

Maybe 12" round barrel bags still attached to the hoops with built in support.

Price point?

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

If you used closed cell foam (fatigue mat type) instead of hard plastic it wouldn't rub through the bag. Glue or velcro to the inside.

• So what I'm hearing is maybe offer pre-made inserts for little upcharge?

Maybe. The bag is not broke. It holds slot as it is. I think it's just the droopy way it looks when mounted and loaded

2016.5 Blue Fire

Meansling Quick Shade

• So what I'm hearing is maybe offer pre-made inserts for little upcharge?

Yeah, have them velcro or attach somehow, but allow you take them out if you need to fold up the bags or something.

I really don't need larger bags, the two I have are enough for short trips and I have my luggage rack for longer trips or additional storage.

• This may save you some time - I use this for a lot of projects. It is 1/4" thick rubber sheets sold by the foot at tractor supply.

Thank you sir, just saw this and tried the plastic already. Well it works, but I like the rubber idea more.

Made a sample out of card board tonight and it works, so tomorrow I'll try the actual piece and try the install.

The 3rd pic is the placement held in place with my knee. Need to get the nuts and bolts for the V-lock at the hardware store. Just need to make sure I have clearance of the tire and rear fender. Not sure if I'll have it done tomorrow but should within a couple days. Thanks MACAWS for the rubber idea, you can never be too "safe" for the protection of the "bag"!8):00008356:

might cut the plastic back in a V pattern close to the center strap to look cleaner

• I don't have a set of bags yet, but I need a set if I'm ever to get my wife to agree to go on an extended trip anywhere in the Slingshot. I have a set of "packing cubes" that we use when we go on trips that keep us organized. Cylindrical packing cubes like this would be a great addition and help keep clothes, shaving gear, etc. all organized.

Just my 0.02!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• OK, got my bags mounted today, and they work great!:thumbup:

started with making the slots for the straps,

shaped the outside edge and attached the V-mount using sleeve bolts so everything will be flat.

mounted the base to the bottom of the sling.

now I want to make the mounts out of aluminum and not ABS plastic. It works great. but I think aluminum plates would hold up better over time. They go on and off easy