Caught in rain. Mad doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

• Holy crap I have to wash my sling after every ride because of the amount of bugs. It's pretty gross sometimes when we stop the wife will pull the floor mats to empty out all of the carcasses that hit the shield or us and end up inside. Next decent ride I'll post a pic of what I have to endure. What I hate is a wasps or hornet strikes and they don't get killed, just really pissed off. Got stung by 2" black hornet sometime back when it hit the shield and ended up some how going down my shirt. Felt like someone put out a cigarette between my shoulder blades. Needless to say it was a fast stop and roadside peel.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• So with all this rain in NJ and Maggie Valley Rally coming up and wonder if I will leave with SS??
    I always drove in hard rains with 2 wheel motorcycles but wonder if raining if I should leave in rain?
    So what will most do if raining on east coast during Maggie Valley Rally..I know I am 700 miles to it.
    I just have trouble driving slow rain or shine.

• So with all this rain in NJ and Maggie Valley Rally coming up and wonder if I will leave with SS??
    I always drove in hard rains with 2 wheel motorcycles but wonder if raining if I should leave in rain?
    So what will most do if raining on east coast during Maggie Valley Rally..I know I am 700 miles to it.
    I just have trouble driving slow rain or shine.

Still worth driving, generally rain is not steady. I'm further than you and intend to drive up rain or shine.

• Mine does well in the rain. Of course you do have to be mindful of it. I could go seventy on the interstate ok in heavy rain

But snow is a big big big no no!

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84

• I have not had mine long enough or together long enough to ride in any rain.
    Just put Nitto 555 on and hearing others say they would pull over in rain.
    So Doc you can run 70mph on interstates in heavy rain ???
    Do you have traction control off when you run???
    Will have to do some testing with braking in rain.
    I fell with wife last year on BMW and want this year to be safe one with SS.
    And she knows how fast I would drive with BMW in rain 75 to 85 and never felt unsafe.
    Was hairpin turn that got us last year..

• Traction control has never been turned off on mine. I think that's what saved me when all of a sudden I came on a snow covered road last winter.

Yep I was doing 70 but I did slow down to about 60 / 65 when I saw the road was retaining a lot of water.

Also after changing lanes a couple of times I found out that it wasn't a good thing to do so I then just stayed in one lane.

Boating with the dolphins, US Navy '76-'84

• I know the doc, and I know his words to be true. Worth noting that he was running on an interstate with 500,000 cars during rush hour. A lot of water sheds off.

Bike tires are narrow and curved. They can cut through standing water. Sling tires are fat, wide, and flat. They act like water skis. You float. Stock tires are the worst.

If you upgrade the tires, and are mindful of the limitations, you can be good. In high density areas like where the doc and I live, the biggest danger is other drivers. Hard rain, car can't see, merges into your lane. Yuck.

Use motorcycle instincts to avoid bad situations. Minimize lane changes, stay in an inside or outside lane, keeping an eye on your escape route. Braking is fine, changing lanes or turning is when the excitement happens. Plan such moves cautiously. Don't fear rain, I don't, but do respect it. And just like a bike, sometimes the right answer is to pull over and let the storm pass. My way, often only 20 minutes before mr sun is back.

Never ever turn off traction control. Hate to lose another forum member. Mine has kicked in several times, always glad for it.