DIY Rooftop Carrier For Aftermarket Twist / BulletSpeed Canvas Top

• Its good to give people options. There's more than one way to skin a catfish... I could use my teeth... that is a viable option. It's a pretty good one - if I was starving to death and had no other options. :00000021:

Viable option for when the zombiepocalypse hits us!!! :00007555:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Need to figure out if I could make this work with a GulWing. Love the look and capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I've always loved the design of the full wing.. tried talking @airoutlaw into swapping rooftops... the design - along with the canvas tops follow the lines and are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye... and I have always had a thing for retro t-top vehicles.. 8o
    used to date a boy in high school that had a 6 speed red iroc camero with hood vents - and t tops... it was plum purty.
    But - on the functionality side... usually both seats are filled when the sling pulls out, and the gullwing doesnt allow the option to cover the roof on the fly if the sun has baked us, or we just need a little bit more shelter from rain pelting down. We would have to decide before we left the garage- roof? Or no roof? The canvas rolls up and can be stuck behind the seat so if in the event we change our minds... we pull over and attach the canvas. But the gullwing IS a beautiful design.. and looks more OEM, IMO.
    Ok... nuff of that... my curiosity is this... the picture looks like it has snaps going around the frame... could be rivets... never looked at one that closely... I always admire the forest and miss the trees.. can you remove the black covering exposing the frame @pricejh61? If you can, you could probably use a slightly varied configuration as this... If it can be removed.... I wouldnt want to cut into my gullwing... if you were me... ;)

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• twist dynamics is not paying attention to its customers who are in need of a luggage rack option, and the current aftermarket luggage racks offered cannot be used with their tops. It would behoove them greatly... to design a luggage rack that is specifically designed for their roofs. They are missing a business opportunity. And as @airoutlaw mentioned... we waited since the end of 2015 truthfully thinking more aftermarket vendors would address the need for storage. Big business oppurtunity missed.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Yep, a difficult project at best. Depending on what you are willing to do for a rack. Looked at some full pics on Slingmods. Measurements are inaccessible. For that top, you lose the gullwing function with a rack and you could stress crack the polycarbonate material while drilling.

My thoughts for best application for that top would be a double set up of 1 - 1/4" receivers modified or built (or similiar) that bolt to the roll hoops and extended 1 -1/4" rails aft to mount a rear cargo basket. High enough to not interfere with the third brake light but low enough to not create a new wind stream blockage. You would of course need longer bolts to mount through your current roof mounting brackets. The plus would be, pull two pins and rack comes off.
    A few have done similiar, but could not find a reference at this time.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• this would probably (maybe with dimensions) work best for the aftermarket tops with extra rails to attach to like the gullwing. Dont think this would carry luggage. Got little side pocket and rear seat bags from prp.... those are rather useful/useless. Haven't seen these before... someone might have a good use for these! Think mine and @airoutlaws head would be rubbing on this overhead if there even was a way for such an attachment.. might work for those of average height.

• Pretty sure I would be squashing my cap in that overhead...

At 6'1" on PRP Seats (with 2" additional padding), leaves me about an inch and a half to canvas.

Depending on dimensions, it would probably work for folks of average height or different seating.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Thank you so much airoutlaw for posting this. I read this months ago. I couldn't wait to start this. I ordered basket today from Wal-Mart.com. I added the clamps to our Amazon.com order. that I will finish up tonight for CyberMonday. When the stuff arrives I will post an update. Once I receive the basket and the clamps, I will go out and pick up all the smalls for the project. I plan on having the local paint store mix me some polaris Lime Squeeze up and painting the cargo carrier to match after fabrication is complete. I have the bullet speed top. I will follow up on any differences. More to come.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!