Rear End Noise Questions

• Well I just got my Sling back from the dealer. Had my 500 mile oil change, some lights installed in the interior had the recall on the back up camera taken care of and asked them to look at the loud pop coming from behind my sling when accelerating and going through the gears. The service manager called my to inform that they recreated the pop but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The told my they would realign the belt and see how it did. They kept it overnight. The next day, today, they called and said after everything they couldn't figure it out, but thought it may be in the tranny. The took out a new one and it made the same sounds so told me to drive it. I asked that they record their findings in my service record and the did. Does this sound right?

• that's what happened with the sounds we were hearing... Parked in the garage, and roll it and it clicked, and popped. Drove it to the dealer and it was as quiet as a church mouse... So I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but cold belt versus warm belt is the variable? Or does the bearing do that

Drove it 140 miles to the dealer on Friday. Once there, rolled it across the parking lot and it was complete silence. The tech and I took it out for a ride. After 2 turns the sound returned. They think the belt isn't tracking properly. This being a holiday weekend, they are going to look at it Tuesday.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• thanks @Drew71646 for the info, we havent heard the pop clicking noise either since we got our sling back from dealer last week... they didnt even tell us they had installed a new belt, but it was obviously new. That noise was quite unnerving really... it sounded like a metallic noise instead of the belt just not tracking right, however the new belt fixed the sounds coming from the rear end completely.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Final verdict from the dealer:

They found that the axle nut wasn't tight enough causing everything to shift. They went by the Polaris recommendation of putting the green top locktite on it and torquing it to 250? Since I'm not mechanically minded, I just nodded my head as he explained things. It did cure the sound from the rear end.

• Glad to hear your problem is solved @Drew71646, if the noise comes back, tell them you want a new belt, and to install polaris's "fix" for the original axle nut backing off, or loosening... which is a second axle nut added behind the first, and torqued to 250 ft lbs also.

"If one does the trick, two is even better" :00000019:

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Glad to hear your problem is solved @Drew71646, if the noise comes back, tell them you want a new belt, and to install polaris's "fix" for the original axle nut backing off, or loosening... which is a second axle nut added behind the first, and torqued to 250 ft lbs also.

"If one does the trick, two is even better" :00000019:

Not quite true. The original axle nut is indeed 250 lb-ft. When replaced with the 2 nut replacement, the inner nut is again, 250 lb-ft, but the outer nut is torqued to 150 lb-ft:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• The axle nut loosens up when the needle bearings give out. Double nuts just make sure the wheel doesn't fall off when the bearings die. You will still walk home.

Grrr.

Waiting for bearings, angle drive, and three ball joints up front. Looks like August. Looks like I am pissed.

Next time, might be back to a Harley. This is nuts. At the moment, I don't care if I spend more and fall over. I am sling down, and sour about it.

• Well that sucks!

Have you tried reaching out to any dealers on the forum to see if they might have anything you need?

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Indeed, it does suck. Ridden to the grocery a few times, and it sounds like I have no wheels. Like I'm just dragging on the road. Too scared to go farther. Dealer advises stop ride.

Checked in with other dealers, no love.

Talking to the mothership directly. 8/2 for parts. They did send me a customer satisfaction survey. Hope they wash their hands twice after reading my reply. Silly people.

• I am sling down, and sour about it.

yep....
    If this was a machine that was without SO MANY of the common problems... we would have purchased another slingshot... but it is mostly just a hassle, with sparse, brief moments of exhilaration. It is fun.... but the aggrevation at some point, will inevitably outweigh the fun
    We won't be purchasing a 2nd one, unless we find one for sale for 1,000 dollars.... :00008084:

• I'm still hoping and praying that Polaris will extend my warranty for free as many times as its been in the shop for warranty work. Probably wishful thinking!

• I find it very odd how they can be in production yet not have parts.

The angle drive appears to be outsourced. Next shipment is due 7/25. After a pallet of drives shows up, they are divided between production and service parts. There appear to be no comms between parts and production.

Who knows. Production might be out of angle drives too.

So much trouble from a 75c part.

• Rear end making noise again at 33,000 miles no noise since we greased the bearings at about 5,000 miles. Checked the torque on the nuts this past Monday. The cracking and popping started yesterday. Dealer appt. Wed. morning.

it's finally time for ours to go in the rear end is really humming now.... :cursing:

• took mine to dealer last week. Cleaned belt and adjusted tension.. noise gone.
    that was the good news.. The bad news they found that my angle drive was leaking..

UGH>>>>>>>>>

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• At 20K miles. dealer replaced my rear rotor saying the noise was from a warped rear rotor. Noise started back up a short time later. During my 25K mile service, the mechanic thinks new one is warped, too. Asked me if I had driven thru a puddle with a hot brake rotor, and I responded I don't ride if it's raining unless it starts raining when I'm already out and don't usually ride if rain is likely.
    At least they replaced the faulty brake sensors and I was able to drive the 100+ miles home without losing the Cruise Control. My angle drive is still leaking, but they claim they need a lift to work on it and are trying to convince the dealer to buy one.