Alfa,. can you make the equipment to make a SS achieve 180 MPH?

• Yup... I hit 120 in stock form... All 4th gear. 5th is for cruise control only... And drops to 80mph! So SC... Or turbocharged... I believe it can and should get past 120mph... How much more? I personally don't know... But when I have one, I'll find out... :thumbup:

• Yup... I hit 120 in stock form... All 4th gear. 5th is for cruise control only... And drops to 80mph! So SC... Or turbocharged... I believe it can and should get past 120mph... How much more? I personally don't know... But when I have one, I'll find out... :thumbup:

goes even faster with the E brake off :00008698:

120 with the wind is on the edge but possible. I sure would not want anyone I loved on the ride.

Home of the free - because of the brave

• That's what I am saying, Built engine with SC and smaller pulley, 150s is easy, it handles just fine. I never felt it squirrely or unstable in any way. 120s stock, double your HP and adding another 25-30 mph is not out of bounds..... now 180mph???? It does take some guts I guess. I only do that when nobody else is around, I hurt me that's one thing but I don't put anyone else in danger.

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Its a good thread, I don't think it's impossible but a track would be a good place to find out. I don't know what my top end is, haven't got there yet......

• I'll let yall set the speed record. I have the power under the hood but not nearly enough man parts. :D

Oh I hear what you are saying! I unfortunately faced my worst fear in life already so its not to hard to push limits anymore.... I just don't take chances with others when I get stupid.

• Well, I finally ventured into this thread. I assumed by the thread title, it was either joking or trolling. After reading thru the 3 pages, and finally not being able to stand it.... I went to TDS. I had to use a search engine to get to it, and the funniest part was the first link went to a slingshot forum..... you know, the kind you shoot things with! :D But I got there, and read the last 3 pages. Mr. Kawasaki is one or all of the following.... A Troll..... A Liar.... completely insane.... a great storyteller that no one trusts. To reiterate what @Tripod posted...

bullshit-meter-011.gif~c200.gif

• @JoeF. Thanks for stepping up and posting that. I had a couple of PM's with @rabtech about this a few months ago. I was curious as to how fast he's gotten it. As he mentioned here, he'd only been to 135 with that monster of his. I mentioned to him that I'd been to 142 when the wind gods were with me. That was with the Turbo at the low setting that Alpha set it at. I've since done the headbolts and cranked the pressure up on the turbo and hitting the 140's is pretty easy now and have even crept into the 150's but again, that's on long ass straight aways with little or no headwind. I have several of those roads/highways at my disposal here. Some of them very Isolated. That being said, there's a few things that I'd like to mention:
    1 - These things may look mean and fast, but we're basically pushing a barn through the wind so we need lots of power to push them beyond the 120's or so that the NA's can reach. With the Turbo 120's, even the higher 120's, comes really fast. I'm sure it's the same with the SC machines.
    2 - While things get loud and shit's moving really fast, I've never felt that the sling is anymore "unstable" and "wanting to take flight", as I've been told by more than one person, than any other vehicle I've had at those speeds (and beyond). Any vehicle is going to feel "different" at those higher speeds simply because of the physics involved. You just need to pay more attention and stay focused at those speeds or even better, If you're not comfortable at those speeds then you probably shouldn't be going there :whistling: .
    3 - The speeds I'm getting are with the Bullet Speed top and a +5 windshield so I fully believe @JoeF. when he says he's been 152. I've never tried it without the top and the shorter windshield, but again, 150's is very attainable with aspirated engines, even non-built ones. Conditions need to be ideal for it, but it's very doable.
    4 - Lastly, There is a HUGE difference in top speed performance when it's just me vs me and a passenger. I can't reach the higher speeds with a passenger. Seems to top out in the 130's or so. Either that or I haven't had the ideal conditions to reach the higher speeds with a passenger.

All that being said, there's a huge caveat to this whole top speed thing. These speeds we mention (at least in my case) have been based off the speedo. I've noticed that the faster I go, the further off it is in actual speed. Glancing at my GPS speed when the speedo is reading 140ish is actually in the mid to 130s on the GPS. I don't have specifics nor am I going to try and take a picture while I'm doing those speeds. My hands are on the wheel...period.

So... the original post was can we do 180.... perhaps... I'd like to give it a try :thumbsup: . I have not been able to get any additional speed out of 5th gear although I can now maintain the higher speeds with the power I have. Just can't get it going faster. Perhaps Rab's can... only he can tell you. So for all you Technical folks out there. Lets keep this game going 8o .
    Let's say that hypothetically, we could get 5th gear to pull with as much power as 4th gear does. What RPM's would we be pulling at 180? Would we reach redline before then :whistling: ...

• Top speed, stock, is 130mph. I have done it 2-3 times on both Slings. Sorry, no tach in video, but if you listen to the engine it goes into a holding pattern. It was floored the whole time. Something stops it from going faster, and I don't know what it is. As @MiM stated, 4th gear is the only way to see top speed when stock.

• I appreciate your post, I am to old and no reason to BS anyone. I have mine built because I like to go fast, the adrenalin rush is something I needed for a while.
    If I didn't think it was as safe as it was, I would find something else, but the wind and sitting low to ground and the DDMWorks setup its all I could want now.

• I'll let yall set the speed record. I have the power under the hood but not nearly enough man parts. :D

RAB has enough "Man Parts" but even he can't beat physics. I still maintain that if you want a fast vehicle, buy one! One of the only ones I trust is RAB when it comes to performance. I followed him to this forum because I trusted him.

Top speed, stock, is 130mph. I have done it 2-3 times on both Slings. Sorry, no tach in video, but if you listen to the engine it goes into a holding pattern. It was floored the whole time. Something stops it from going faster, and I don't know what it is. As @MiM stated, 4th gear is the only way to see top speed when stock.

• Top speed, stock, is 130mph. I have done it 2-3 times on both Slings. Sorry, no tach in video, but if you listen to the engine it goes into a holding pattern. It was floored the whole time. Something stops it from going faster, and I don't know what it is. As @MiM stated, 4th gear is the only way to see top speed when stock.

RAB has enough "Man Parts" but even he can't beat physics. I still maintain that if you want a fast vehicle, buy one! One of the only ones I trust is RAB when it comes to performance. I followed him to this forum because I trusted him.

Not sure what you mean with this post sir, could you elaborate a little more please?

• Well, RAB has near 700hp (I lost track) and HP does not translate to speed. Mix that in with aerodynamics that are worthy (to quote at fellow member) of a barn door and this is not a combination that leads to 180MPH. Not that I would ever challenge anyone but speedos are only accurate to 60 mph. GPS speed is the reference used in Europe.