Popping noise from exhaust

• Popping from @av8ingtom exhaust at idle -

Wow that bike is running super smooth.... I wouldn't even consider that a popping sound. It just sounds good.....

Well, I know nothing, but for the fact that I don't hear a popping...
    @airoutlaw mentioned we are experiencing a popping within the alpha variable (installed ssits16, and I could elaborate on the problems we've experienced with it.... even before we got home from ssits last year... but i won't :/ ) and have a blued area much darker than any other bluing areas of the can... it didnt start popping or backfiring until installing the 1320 shorty. It pops so loud it startles me and i get airborne in my seat...sounds like a uncle buck kind of backfire.. hardly comparable to this videos sweet rumble.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Ok, Im gonna elaborate...
    We purchased the Alpha Variable with a supposed 1 year warrenty... btw, and fyi...
    It works... but only because attempts made to use the warrenty were not honored, and Steve tore the gear box apart and fixed that when it got stuck in one mode.. twice... first time on the way home from ssits last year, now the mechanical actuator is grinding into the metal housing. Checked with alpha at ssits this year, and well.... still no warrenty honored.
    Will not... be buying anymore. Customer service AFTER purchase is what keeps prior customers returning.

Sorry to flame here, moderators can delete if necessary... but it pissed me off. And Steve. Didnt even get home before it malfunctioned and steve spent the next weekend fixing it. Approx.. 800 bucks.

It only works because steve fixes it every time it breaks. And now, it appears there is as previously discussed an exhaust leak inside the can itself.

Yep. Im pissed about it

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• that is a perfect sounding exhaust, there seems to be a misunderstanding as to what popping exhaust is.

When you get a noise that sounds like a Smith & Wesson just went off then you have a reason to be concerned.

I do get the loud backfire from the exhaust on occasion. It does not happen except on deceleration, and normally from a high RPM. I did not experience the idle issue until 1 week after returning from Maggie Valley. When you are sitting in the Sling you can not only hear it, but you can feel it also. The top of the fenders will vibrate also. As I said it is only at an idle and the engine must be warmed up.

I have 100% faith in @Jeff@DDMWorks and @Dave@DDMWorks, as well as @'rabtech. I appreciate everyone comments and suggestions. Now I will just drive the heck out of it.

• I do get the loud backfire from the exhaust on occasion. It does not happen except on deceleration, and normally from a high RPM. I did not experience the idle issue until 1 week after returning from Maggie Valley. When you are sitting in the Sling you can not only hear it, but you can feel it also. The top of the fenders will vibrate also. As I said it is only at an idle and the engine must be warmed up.
    I have 100% faith in @Jeff@DDMWorks and @Dave@DDMWorks, as well as @'rabtech. I appreciate everyone comments and suggestions. Now I will just drive the heck out of it.

From riding motorcycles I found the loud bang on deceleration is an exhaust leak for sure. I am still getting that every now and then even with Welter tightening it up.

• I really understand your frustration with the exhaust. There is a reason I purchased a Welter at MV.
    Quality....... ;(

• We stepped in the welter booth at ssits a minute two late... we wanted the 2.5 pipes in case of future SC or Turbo install, and they were sold out of those.

Most likely make the purchase here soon and install ourselves, we asked if it would need an ECU reflash if we changed out the exhaust with bigger pipes, I believe it was Jeff that told us, no that wasnt necessary until SC or Turbo mod.

• I do get the loud backfire from the exhaust on occasion. It does not happen except on deceleration, and normally from a high RPM. I did not experience the idle issue until 1 week after returning from Maggie Valley. When you are sitting in the Sling you can not only hear it, but you can feel it also. The top of the fenders will vibrate also. As I said it is only at an idle and the engine must be warmed up.

I appreciate the trust in my diag skills. But it could be just the way the tune is. Some are running a bit rich and they are dumping a bit more fuel than needed. This is probably being done for safety of the engine rather than for peak performance. Each slingshot is going to be a little different even with the same equipment. Things like air temperature, altitude, and many other variables that most people don't even consider come into play when tuning an engine. So you have to have some compromises. And with those you always want to error on the side of safety. So when a tune is made for a Hahn 2X with race exhaust it may be perfect on 5 out of 10 Slingshots with the same hardware setup. But the other 5 could suffer from a stumble between gears or a pop when shifting or even a weird idle. You sometimes have to live with this because there is really no way to correct for those things without having the tuner present when the machine is in front of them either on a dyno or the highway.

I just wanted to throw that info into the ring. I know it's not relevant to some of these issue. But it's something to think about. This is another reason I went with the Haltech ECU. I let Dave tweak and tune on mine till it ran absolutely flawless. Many of you all got to hear it in Maggie Valley. It doesn't smell like exhaust at all. And it starts and idles perfect. It never flutters and you can lay into the rev limiter and listen to it stutter the ignition and then shift gears and it pulls like a beast with no hesitation.

I have no doubt the stock ecu could be tuned that way also. However it is just cheaper to buy a Haltech ECU and pay someone like Dave to dyno it till its spot on perfect than it would be to drive your Slingshot to California every time you make a hardware change and have them put it on a dyno and tune it.

• We stepped in the welter booth at ssits a minute two late... we wanted the 2.5 pipes in case of future SC or Turbo install, and they were sold out of those.

Most likely make the purchase here soon and install ourselves, we asked if it would need an ECU reflash if we changed out the exhaust with bigger pipes, I believe it was Jeff that told us, no that wasnt necessary until SC or Turbo mod.

I tried to find some time to talk to them at Welter's tent every chance i had. They were always busy either under a slingshot on the lift, Jeff was talking with a customer, or on his cell phone. the only time I "caught" him free was in the hotel while he was with his sons having breakfast. I didn't say a word to him as I'm sure he enjoyed some "dad" time with his kids in the midst of a crazy busy week. I'm going to have to pin him down in Avon to get some me time with him. Wish me luck

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• The popping/exhaust leak could be our fault....Our testing has shown that the sealant tape works just as well as the glue and possibly even better when the slip fit joint was a little loose. Apparently those test results were a short-term gain and the exhaust leaks causing the "popping" sound are coming from the use of the sealant tape. If anyone who had our exhaust installed at Maggie Valley would like, we will ship you a tube of glue to use on the joints. We think that red hi temp RTV silicone is probably the best sealer but the downside is you need to wait 12 hours before you start your motor after applying it on on the surface.
    Call me or PM me your address.

-Angie

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I tried to find some time to talk to them at Welter's tent every chance i had. They were always busy either under a slingshot on the lift, Jeff was talking with a customer, or on his cell phone. the only time I "caught" him free was in the hotel while he was with his sons having breakfast. I didn't say a word to him as I'm sure he enjoyed some "dad" time with his kids in the midst of a crazy busy week. I'm going to have to pin him down in Avon to get some me time with him. Wish me luck

Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk to you. Maggie Valley was pretty intense for us. You are welcome to call. Jeff's extension is 4
    Or he will be in the Rockies.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• @angie@WP
    AND THAT IS WHY.....

Your exhaust systems are so highly saught after... you didnt HAVE to admit a fault... but you DID. And that is QUALITY, INTEGRITY, and your HONESTY is appealing to previous or future customers...

Awesome. Honesty goes a long way in my book, I can forgive ALMOST any situation when honesty, responsibility and ownership is genuinely displayed..

Vendors that refuse to right the wrongs, will never have return customers.

• My exhaust took a crap on me on interstate I cracked the whole top of the muffler. Sounds like metal bouncing around everywhere. Only about two weeks old. I wish I just had a popping sound.

• No problem @Goats_Hogs I'm a blessed man this is just a little speed bump! Thank you for your offer of a exhaust. It's people like you that make this place so special! I love this place even if I didn't get to ride my slingshot again because of the people!

Proud Member of SOG!

Edited once, last by bjk81 ().

• If you were running our exhaust and had problems ANY TIME please give us a call. ESPECIALLY of it was only 2 weeks old!

1-877-455-3089
    Angie

Not yours and I will be giving you a call. My other one is a good product also I just probably over did it. I would like to know the price of a 2.5" set up for a DDM supercharger installed at Eureka Springs. The stealth one!