Customizing your Center Caps

• So a few of you that know my sling have asked me about the center caps and where I got them. Well, it's actually the stock caps with a little customization. I PM'd this to @FunCycle and @Jdin but I figured I'd post it here for those of you do-it-yourselfers that want to customize your caps to match your sling. I've gone as far as not having a single Slingshot emblem anywhere on my sling. Everything is SS on mine so you don't get to copy that :P .
    Anyways, here's what I did.

first off: remove the center caps (if you can't accomplish this then stop reading. you should probably not do this :D ) If you examine them, you'll see that the emblem is actually an aluminum emblem that's glued to the plastic mounting piece that attaches to the wheel. I used a heat gun at first but later figured out that I can use automotive lacquer thinner to separate them much easier. Just use your nail to start separating them and pour some thinner in there. The glue will let go in a few secs. This is the same technique used for removing the plastic pieces from your hood as well as the hood emblem by the way. Once separated you can use the thinner again to wipe off the glue. They MUST be completely clean of glue.

Next: take some 3m scotch pad (I used gray) and use it to scuff off any of the gloss on the plastic pieces. you need to pay special attention to the exposed surface where the emblems that were removed. Make sure this is nice and dull (not scratched) but dull. Once this is done, again take some lacquer thinner and a lint free cloth to wipe them down. Let them dry and you're ready for the paint.

next: take whatever color of paint you want to use and start laying on the coats. Apply evenly in thin light coats taking care not to let the paint run on you. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME!. I rattle canned mine with Rustoleum Automotive paint. I applied 4-5 coats of my base color and let them dry thoroughly before the next step.

Next: I took some SS vinyl decals that I had @STYLN make up for me and applied them to the newly painted caps. Again, you can use whatever decal design you want or even make some up yourself if you have the time and talent. Design it, cut it out, and apply to the cap somehow. I just had these made while they were making my other hood decals.

Next: Now that you have the decals applied where you want them on the caps, take some clear and give them a few coats of clear each. Again, I put about 4 coats using Rustoleum rattle can. Once dry, the end result is what you see on my wheels. There's no fitment issues...nothing... they just snap on and off :thumbsup: .

Hope this is useful for someone.

• I just made up my second batch of the SS with the circle emblems. I made the originals for @mytoys nut cover, but they also worked perfect for the center caps. I now have red and black center caps with the SS if I get tired of one color. I also use different color for the lug nuts. If anyone is interested I still have some. The color is silver and looks good on the red or the black center caps. There are pictures on here somewhere, I know on the fender thread and when we put the nut cover on Anita's SS last year at Maggie.