How hard is rear bearing replacement?

• I drove pretty far on bad bearings. Maybe a few K miles. Not nearly as bad as a bad angle drive, which I also had replaced. Bad angle drive was a disaster. Bad bearings, was just an annoyance.

Don't drive too far from home, but dang, buy it to ride it. Make those bearings die with honor.

• Uhh... @mniron, given your details here, I'm thinking its the axle bearings. What's the torque spec on that nut? (That's the double nut, right?) Aaaannd....if there's still play, but I'm getting a new swingarm anyway....how bad it is to drive with bearings that are bad or going bad?

If it is loose after you torque to spec, it will or already has damaged the axle. If it is not loose and makes a gravely clicking sound, I say drive it into the ground because it can go for miles that way.

• If it is loose after you torque to spec, it will or already has damaged the axle. If it is not loose and makes a gravely clicking sound, I say drive it into the ground because it can go for miles that way.

this is probably a dumb question, but if the axle is damaged, does that get replaced or repaired with the swing arm, or is that extra work on top of the recall? @sideseatdriver says she can actually see the tire wobble back and forth as the machine rolls.

• Yes the axle will be replaced if needed with the swing arm replacement. Yours will not be the first. Did you replace your wheel? Lug nuts tight? If @sideseatdriver can see this, sounds like you need a fix. It must squirm while you drive? No traction/stability lights?

• Give it the shake down, if loose torque. To get the best torque the old Loctite needs to be removed which in itself can be a pain.

Another thought is that the rear tire bead is not seated properly and the tire is wobbly not the wheel or axle.

• Give it the shake down, if loose torque. To get the best torque the old Loctite needs to be removed which in itself can be a pain.

Another thought is that the rear tire bead is not seated properly and the tire is wobbly not the wheel or axle.

Brand new tire, brand new wheel. Not the issue.

• All right, the word of the night is "monkeytorque." As in, "I wasn't getting much movement on the axle nut with the normal wrench, but after I put the cheater bar on it, I was able to get some monkeytorque on the bitch and she snugged right down."

Optest after the little ones are in bed, we'll see if there's still some wobble.

If there's wobble, best thought at that point is bad axle bearing, which means axle is probably damaged already....right? So, just drive the blue bitch, right? @ethermion?

• That's what I said, bit apparently my opinion doesn't matter. "But @ethermion did it and nothing bad happened". I swear I've got 3 kids. At least his life insurance is paid up, although I don't know if it covers utter stupidity and/or f-tardidness.

Better that he is still with us, and in one piece! Vehicles can be replaced, people can't! @KayTwo ~> LISTEN TO @sideseatdriver!!! *don't be "that big dick" in the locker room... put your bravado down until it gets fixed!!

RANT OVER!!! :cursing: We all love you and don't want any issues...

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• So....wobble still there. Guess I'm waiting for the swingarm...? @mniron, any other ideas? :P

In going to drive it tomorrow, I think, and see if I can feel anything off.

How loose was the wheel when you grab hold of it and pushed and pulled? If it was loose at all you would have had to give the axle nut a turn or two. Because you are not having the normal symptoms of bearing failure, my thoughts have moved on. Remove the wheel, rotate the axle and check for bent axle on the hub side. A small imperfection at the hub will cause the wheel to show a lot of wobble. Just my thoughts since you are not having the normal symptoms of bearing failure. A bent axle will give you premature wear of your tire and rear brake(pads and rotor).

• How loose was the wheel when you grab hold of it and pushed and pulled? If it was loose at all you would have had to give the axle nut a turn or two. Because you are not having the normal symptoms of bearing failure, my thoughts have moved on. Remove the wheel, rotate the axle and check for bent axle on the hub side. A small imperfection at the hub will cause the wheel to show a lot of wobble. Just my thoughts since you are not having the normal symptoms of bearing failure. A bent axle will give you premature wear of your tire and rear brake(pads and rotor).

Wasn't loose at all. No wobble, and I was reefing on it. And the nut only turned a quarter inch or less, so I don't really think it was that.

Bent axle.....f&$%.

I haven't seen the shimmy in the wheel yet, maybe I'll try to get a video or something so I can see degrees of badness. Increased tire wear, I understand. But it's not like the damn thing is gonna fall off....right? LOL

Not being able to drive this thing is killing my soul, I swear.