Welter 2.5" install - transmission mount

• The Welter 2.5" option has a transmission mount in the package that provides enough room for the larger pipe to get past / through the transmission tunnel.

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the stock mount and install the Welter version?

I have watched the install videos and read the printed instructions and they don't seem to address.

Sent the Welter team a note also.

• The slingshot trans mount has really long studs that stick down through the frame of the sling.
    Step 1 is to remove the nuts and cut those studs down as close as you can.

The trans mount is two separate parts, the bottom black steel part and the upper aluminium part.

You will have to unbolt the two halves and remove the mount in two parts.

There is a nut on top that you will have to hold when removing the bolts joining the two halves.
    This part is HARD I would recommend power tools / air tools if you have something that will fit up in there.
    You can jack the trans up at this point to make more room for the tools.

Once the bottom half is out you can remove the bolts holding the top half.

And install the new welter performance mount.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup:

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• They must have used JB Weld when they put in the black bolts!!!

How much room do we have to jack up the transmission 1/2" to 1"?

Would it help to heat the black bolts with a propane torch?

Felt like I was going to pull the Sling off the jack stands last night and couldn't get the black bolts to budge.

Also, on the Welter mount, it tappers down on one side, which direction does the narrow end go / point?

May have to pull out the air impact wrench!

• Those bolts are in there pretty good. I would go straight for the impact wrench.

You will have to jack it up as needed to make room and remove the bottom portion of the mount.

I would NOT use a torch under the slingshot. And in this situation I don't think it would help anyway.

Be careful and don't knock it off the stands. Like I said I would go for the strongest power tool / air tool you can get.
    Even if the bolts break you will still be able to get the two parts out of there so no big deal.

Just take note when you remove the top half of the factory mount and you will see which way it is supposed to tapper.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• With the newly acquired information from Jeff and the folks at Welter, I decided to tackle this during my lunch hour.

And I was successful! Sawed off the bolts mounting the stock bracket to the frame, broke free the stock black bolts, jacked up the transmission about 1/2" or so, removed the two stock pieces, then installed the Welter transmission mount in just under an hour.

Used a saws all with a new metal blade.

Before I cut, I made sure to tuck the oil line back up / above the transmission mount. I absolutely did not want to rip the oil line up.

I cut the bolt right up against the stock mount - as flush as possible. The blade did scratch up the underside of the stock mounting plate so I hit it with some black rustoleum paint.

I then jacked up the transmission - which you need to do to give you a little more room to get a socket on the black bolts.

Using a combination of the impact wrench and the torque wrench, I was able to break free and remove the black bolts.

The aluminum piece attached to the tranny came off fairly easily. There are two pieces to the stock mount.

From there it is a matter of attaching the Welter transmission mount. I loosely mounted the Welter piece to the frame. I did use some blue loctite on the two bolts for the frame.

I lowered the jack so there was just a small gap and was able to start the 4 bolts to attach the Welter bracket to the transmission. I hand tightened the four bolts then lowered the transmission the rest of the way.

Finally tightened everything up.

Will get back to finishing the exhaust install tonight.

Thanks for all the input and guidance.

• post pics of the exhaust when you get that part done... awesome!!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Got it all installed but too dark for pictures and too wet for a test ride.

I did run it awhile, even with the full baffles in, has a nice throaty sound.

Will take it out for a ride tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again for the info.

• I'm a little late to the party, @Live-a-Little!, but nice work, and I like this thread and how everyone came together.

As I was reading it, I found myself asking, "how come noone is reaching out to @MiM about those stupid bolts? He knows every trick in the book about how to get stuck things un-stuck, except one!" :00008172:

• I bet those bolts are a piece of cake @KayTwo...

Now a HUB... I'll either be winning mod money or losing it... Taking bets at the Hill Country...

$100 says you can't get it off (using only the tools I had at my disposal)... No blow torch, bombs, etc... And the Frankenpuller doesn't count because I haven't used it yet... My OCD wants everything Assault brand at the moment... :thumbup: