Alpha Supercharger Initial Impressions/Review

• I'm just sitting back with my wastegate and boost controller watching from the turbo sidelines on this thread....

But that doesn't help me - everything up front is working with DDM precision - but now I have problems in the back.
    More or less Polaris version of Hemorrhoids...

OK @Tripod have at it brother

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Without stepping on toes I'm just going to say what a wise investment a boost gauge is. There's no way to accurately feel if your boost and a/f are within the proper limits.

Edit: I had a vac hose melt and no waste gate action once. Sling felt so peppy! After that I only drive when my gauge is on and in.

• Without stepping on toes I'm just going to say what a wise investment a boost gauge is. There's no way to accurately feel if your boost and a/f are within the proper limits.

Edit: I had a vac hose melt and no waste gate action once. Sling felt so peppy! After that I only drive when my gauge is on and in.

Good advise, I highly recommend gauges on all boosted engines. I have been running a SuperCharged Escalade for the last five years with a 625 hp output. Since I use it for towing I can go for miles under boost. I have never had an issue but if I just drove the hell out of it with no gauges I doubt the engine would had survived. For towing I monitor transmission temps, intercooler temps, exhaust gas temps, besides boost and a/f.

I believe gauges are cheap insurance, even if some say that they are not needed on a supercharged SlingShot.

• My 2bar map sensor has now blown completely out of my intake manifold twice. It has always been at full boost at high RPMS in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have also had this issue with another guys machine that I worked on locally in AZ awhile ago.

It is a bad deal when this happens and the machine runs like crap immediately. Both times I got out of it right away and wasn't looking at my AFRs closely. I should have downloaded the logs, but didn't realize it was important at the time. Once at idle and pulled over, the machine will run super rich and will have a big miss to it. Not sure what happens to AFRs exactly if you don't get out of it right away...

After the 2nd time, I pulled it out and made a couple of changes. When I pulled it out, I noticed my rubber grommet/surround was starting to crack/tear. I took it off completely and made my own with rubber hose and rubber caps that were cut to size so it would fit VERY snug. I then sprayed glass cleaner on both parts and shoved it in. Once I knew it was really secure, I put a screw between the clips so that they are forced out to hold it into place. See below.

Hard to tell which issue came first, but I wanted to give some more info from my experiences.

• Well, nothing looked loose or disconnected. I tried just pushing connectors in and it didn't clear the code. I disconnected them and reconnected and voila!!! Error code cleared :( . This is really annoying. Oh well, until next time.

• back from DDMworks in Piedmont, SC. They are going to pull the engine to determine exactly what went wrong with the Alpha Supercharger and/or engine. @Dave@DDMWorks and @Jeff@DDMWorks are great guys to deal with. They thoroughly explain exactly what needs to happen and take their time with customers. Speaks volumes of their customer service ethics and I look forward to dealing with them in the future.

• back from DDMworks in Piedmont, SC. They are going to pull the engine to determine exactly what went wrong with the Alpha Supercharger and/or engine. @Dave@DDMWorks and @Jeff@DDMWorks are great guys to deal with. They thoroughly explain exactly what needs to happen and take their time with customers. Speaks volumes of their customer service ethics and I look forward to dealing with them in the future.

Could you get a better pic of me next time? I look like I am spaced out or something ;) Just kidding, it was really nice to meet you yesterday and we look forward to getting you taken care of. Big shout out to @lrobbi also for helping out with this, I know it has been said a lot lately but there is a great group on this forum.

• Thanks @jaytee. We will get you fixed up. I have not started in on it yet but here is what we have seen so far just on the surface.

These are the adapters that were on the MAP Sensor from Alpha. The orange adapter is a factory piece, the black one was added over the top of the orange one creating a two part adapter.

Hidden behind the alternator you can get a glimpse of what has happened. The #1 rod has poked a hole in the side of the block and made a bit of a mess.
    We will know more once the engine has been disassembled.

Engine oil all over the driver side.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• These are the adapters that were on the MAP Sensor from Alpha. The orange adapter is a factory piece, the black one was added over the top of the orange one creating a two part adapter.

Preface : this is a question .......

Surely the "adapter" is only a seal and the MAP sensor is supposed to be held firm to the manifold by the built in clip ?

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Correct. The Adapter is to seal it into the hole. And the clip does hold it into the manifold. We don't believe this to be the main problem but having a two part adapter does increase the chances for slipping out and leaks.

Jeff Mellor
    DDMWorks
    119A Highway 183
    Piedmont, SC 29673
    Orders - 864-438-4949
    Tech Support - 864-907-6004
    www.DDMWorks.com

• Correct. The Adapter is to seal it into the hole. And the clip does hold it into the manifold. We don't believe this to be the main problem but having a two part adapter does increase the chances for slipping out and leaks.

Thanks for the clarification ..... I understand you are just trying to help but your initial post was leading .....

So if a MAP sensor was found to be displaced it would be either an installation concern (not clipped in fully) or a failure of the clip (either on the manifold or MAP sensor itself) that is supposed to hold it in ..... and unlikely related to the "adapter" .....

It would be nice if you clarified this elsewhere ... you know.... where you posted the same info and pic ... wink-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......