Pros and Cons

• Do you guys wear full face helmets? I was thinking about it but ive heard they're uncomfortable and distract from driving

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

My Wife & I use full face helmets when we are together. Reason for this, I have a Bluetooth communication system in them, so we can talk and listen to music on the road when we need to wear helmets. I use a half helmet for myself when it is warmer, then just crank the stereo.

When travelling where helmets are not needed, and it is nice out, no helmets is soo much more comfortable. Wear sunscreen, lol.

Also, how tall are you? If you're under 6 foot, with the stock windshield, there is an awesome "sweet spot" for people where the wind deflects up and over the cabin area like a bubble. Out on the freeway, you get this nice & quiet sound where you get to just enjoy the ride.

Anything over 6 foot will place you directly in the wind and it can get quite loud up there at highway speeds. If you rarely go that fast for long distances, it's not really a concern.

• Im 5'5" im just worried about reaching the pedals

• I have another dumb question, ive seen some slingshots in different colors like yellow? Is that a body kit or a paint job or what?

Looking for a less expensive paint job and not having the proper tools to do it myself, I found a local shop in Houston that rents their paint booth and tools for around $125/day. This basically means do your prep off-site and then have a marathon painting session and take your parts home to finish drying and reassemble. When I went to see them, they also said they have a painter in-house and I though this meant he'd be painting there using their facilities, but he really did the painting in his apartment. He was a young guy, probably mid-20s who had recently started his business doing low-cost body/paintwork for people who had limited incomes and was hyped about the opportunity to paint the Slingshot and show his efforts to some former co-workers. He said he'd paint it for $800. I wanted a less-expensive (cheap) paint job and that's what I got. I'd rate it about a 3-5 ft paint job. Any closer than that and flaws can be seen in daylight or bright lighting. Just driving by, it looks fine. This being the first Slingshot he'd painted, I think he underestimated how much prep work was going to be involved and it ended up taking him over 2 weeks to get it painted. He was really proud of his efforts and I didn't have the heart to rain on his parade, but I felt the paint job was less than professional. I'd say I got what I paid for, but may eventually try to paint it myself. Before I had the kid paint mine, I got estimates from several local shops, ranging from about $1200-2000. You also need to deal with the fact that if the painter has never done a Slingshot before, he may have trouble disassembling the body to paint each piece individually. It seems most painters are accustomed to painting an assembled body, but the way the Slingshot body is assembled, there are too many nooks and crannies for paint to accumulate and later crack. In my case, it took me several days to take the body apart, but I wanted to make sure it was done carefully. You might find a discount if you disassemble the body and haul everything to the painter. I have a 2013 Ford Edge and was able to haul all of the body panels in the back of my vehicle in one trip. I bought some used bedspreads from Goodwill for padding. Several folks have posted how-tos on removing the body panels on the various forums and YouTube.
    There's a couple of dealers in the Houston area who will wrap the Slingshot for around $800-1200+ depending on the wrap color/material. Generally speaking, most owners who've wrapped their Slingshots seem to end up having them painted because the wrap doesn't seem to adhere well to the Slingshot's sharp creases/bodylines.
    Some folks have tried dipping their Slingshots using a material similar to the plastic coating some mechanics put on their tool handles. Again, problems have typically been reported in areas where clothing or skin tends to rub against the dip, primarily areas in & around the cockpit.
    Helmets are optional here in Texas, and I typically don't wear one, but I have a relatively tall MadStad adjustable windshield that I can look thru or over depending on how I sit. I still occasionally get hit by stuff and always eye protection of some type, typically my daily wear eyeglasses with shatterproof lenses that provide pretty good eye protection. I have 3/4 open-face helmet with shield, as well as a modular helmet with flip-up shield and several 1/2 helmets, some with shields or integrated drop-down shields.

• Looking for a less expensive paint job and not having the proper tools to do it myself, I found a local shop in Houston that rents their paint booth and tools for around $125/day. This basically means do your prep off-site and then have a marathon painting session and take your parts home to finish drying and reassemble. When I went to see them, they also said they have a painter in-house and I though this meant he'd be painting there using their facilities, but he really did the painting in his apartment. He was a young guy, probably mid-20s who had recently started his business doing low-cost body/paintwork for people who had limited incomes and was hyped about the opportunity to paint the Slingshot and show his efforts to some former co-workers. He said he'd paint it for $800. I wanted a less-expensive (cheap) paint job and that's what I got. I'd rate it about a 3-5 ft paint job. Any closer than that and flaws can be seen in daylight or bright lighting. Just driving by, it looks fine. This being the first Slingshot he'd painted, I think he underestimated how much prep work was going to be involved and it ended up taking him over 2 weeks to get it painted. He was really proud of his efforts and I didn't have the heart to rain on his parade, but I felt the paint job was less than professional. I'd say I got what I paid for, but may eventually try to paint it myself. Before I had the kid paint mine, I got estimates from several local shops, ranging from about $1200-2000. You also need to deal with the fact that if the painter has never done a Slingshot before, he may have trouble disassembling the body to paint each piece individually. It seems most painters are accustomed to painting an assembled body, but the way the Slingshot body is assembled, there are too many nooks and crannies for paint to accumulate and later crack. In my case, it took me several days to take the body apart, but I wanted to make sure it was done carefully. You might find a discount if you disassemble the body and haul everything to the painter. I have a 2013 Ford Edge and was able to haul all of the body panels in the back of my vehicle in one trip. I bought some used bedspreads from Goodwill for padding. Several folks have posted how-tos on removing the body panels on the various forums and YouTube.
    There's a couple of dealers in the Houston area who will wrap the Slingshot for around $800-1200+ depending on the wrap color/material. Generally speaking, most owners who've wrapped their Slingshots seem to end up having them painted because the wrap doesn't seem to adhere well to the Slingshot's sharp creases/bodylines.
    Some folks have tried dipping their Slingshots using a material similar to the plastic coating some mechanics put on their tool handles. Again, problems have typically been reported in areas where clothing or skin tends to rub against the dip, primarily areas in & around the cockpit.
    Helmets are optional here in Texas, and I typically don't wear one, but I have a relatively tall MadStad adjustable windshield that I can look thru or over depending on how I sit. I still occasionally get hit by stuff and always eye protection of some type, typically my daily wear eyeglasses with shatterproof lenses that provide pretty good eye protection. I have 3/4 open-face helmet with shield, as well as a modular helmet with flip-up shield and several 1/2 helmets, some with shields or integrated drop-down shields.

Thanks for the paint advice, how did your professional job come out?

• Well sure, but so will brand new pavement. It tends to be slick. Gravel and leaves will also require you to change your driving behavior. We rode something called "The Rattler" at last year's Smokies rally. Freaking @TheRock and @BlackDeath were insanely fast even though conditions were less than optimal. There was gravel and brand new pavement involved. Moral of the story is, the Sling can handle insanity if the driver is insane and good enough.

Thanks for the shout out @Cameron Roberts you were right there with us brother! I had a great ride once I passed the slow guys to catch up with you and @TheRock It was the best driving in my life at SSITS! I definitely enjoyed manhandling my Slingshot, when riding that aggressive you really need to be hyper aware of your surroundings. I will say that the tires will make a difference and the suspension will definitely help. I have JRI 2Way adjustable shocks and I had them set to 15 clicks front and rear. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2's running at 28psi front and rear. Watch your lines and what is in the road you could skid out on sand, little gravel that fell from the side of the rocks, leaves etc.. Be safe because in Deals Gap or the Rattler one split second not paying attention at high speed could end up tragic.

Looking forward to SSITS 2017 and seeing all of you again as well as some new faces!

• I was trying to edit my post and include some pics when you responded.
    Here's a pic of me and my Daughter in my 2015 Titanium Metallic Slingshot before and after I had it painted Yellow ( I've also got a Twist Dynamics Top to help protect me from the Texas Heat - it was over 80F here today).

Personally, I really like the Black pieces and how they contrast wit the Yellow body.
    Here's some close-ups of the flaws I mentioned. Their typical size is less than 1/4".

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• @Skapoor, you'll have no problem at 5'5". I'm 5'2" and do fine with the seat ALL the way forward. The seat back tilts so you don't have to be sitting on top of the steering wheel. I'm really enjoying this thread, but have trouble believing these guys think every guy is a pervert! :P Joking guys, just joking! I've had a whole new experience on here - hush, @Tripod.

• @Skapoor, you'll have no problem at 5'5". I'm 5'2" and do fine with the seat ALL the way forward. The seat back tilts so you don't have to be sitting on top of the steering wheel. I'm really enjoying this thread, but have trouble believing these guys think every guy is a pervert! :P Joking guys, just joking! I've had a whole new experience on here - hush, @Tripod.

What's a pervert !?!?!

• Im 5'5" im just worried about reaching the pedals

The best thing for you to do at this point is take your parents to a dealer. Let them look, touch, tire kick, and talk the salesman into a test drive. You will all get a better idea if this vehicle is right for you then. We can tell you what its like for hours but until you experience the slingshot for yourself you will not really understand. These things are like nothing on the road like some have said its not a car, its not a motorcycle, its nothing like a Spyder. The closest comparison I have come up with is a go-cart on steroids. Go get a test drive, then get an insurance quote, then tell us what you thought of the slingshot!!! Whohooo

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• Thanks @pigmanfu @advenrure4me @BKL @BlackDeath @MBMedic @Bill Martin @Cameron Roberts @WOLF @chad warren @MiM @roadog1aj @jorgebri60 @slolane @Ross @Shatneyman @DKF Texas @Tripod @TheRock @FunCycle @Slingshot Garage @Street Doc@MACAWS @MifcitiesNinja @N2Orbit @funinthesun @BONES @jluna317 @Travis @tigershark @Solow @kyslingshot @Fast Orange for all of your advice, i pretty much got the "ill think about it, still a year away" from my parents but i think ill be able to convince them . Still trying to figure out a way to get up close with one bc my local dealership doesnt allow test drives. Appreciate all the responses!

• Thanks @pigmanfu @advenrure4me @BKL @BlackDeath @MBMedic @Bill Martin @Cameron Roberts @WOLF @chad warren @MiM @roadog1aj @jorgebri60 @slolane @Ross @Shatneyman @DKF Texas @Tripod @TheRock @FunCycle @Slingshot Garage @Street Doc@MACAWS @MifcitiesNinja @N2Orbit @funinthesun @BONES @jluna317 @Travis @tigershark @Solow @kyslingshot @Fast Orange for all of your advice, i pretty much got the "ill think about it, still a year away" from my parents but i think ill be able to convince them . Still trying to figure out a way to get up close with one bc my local dealership doesnt allow test drives. Appreciate all the responses!

Where are you located? If anyone on the forum is anywhere close to you, I'm sure they would be happy to get with you & show you their Slingshot, take you for a ride, etc.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

You're welcome and I would make sure you drive one prior to purchase. This forum is the best I've ever seen and members here will jump at the opportunity to show off their rides. Make the effort and meet up with some of us. You'll show up at the dealership knowing me about slingshots than they do.

• The best thing for you to do at this point is take your parents to a dealer. Let them look, touch, tire kick, and talk the salesman into a test drive. You will all get a better idea if this vehicle is right for you then. We can tell you what its like for hours but until you experience the slingshot for yourself you will not really understand. These things are like nothing on the road like some have said its not a car, its not a motorcycle, its nothing like a Spyder. The closest comparison I have come up with is a go-cart on steroids. Go get a test drive, then get an insurance quote, then tell us what you thought of the slingshot!!! Whohooo

You are welcome. As to the wind screen, I am 5' 6" and I cut 3 inches off of my stock 15 wind screen. I do not like looking thru the wind screen, it has no whippers and also I am still using the stock seats

• Where are you located? If anyone on the forum is anywhere close to you, I'm sure they would be happy to get with you & show you their Slingshot, take you for a ride, etc.

Why don't you go to and ask for John Costa, they have a few and you can test ride one too. You may want to mention "Dieter"

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch