New items and cleaned parts. Assembly starts at post #98

• I could not stand to have the Sling parked for that long.

• Taking a break. Have the seats, trim panels and dash removed. Battery disconnected.

Supposed get some light snow here tomorrow and be cooler this week - so won't mind if it is down for the week.

Also, I want to take my time. Plus, when you remove these panels, there is a lot of dirt to clean and wipe up!

Starting on the install in 30 minutes.

• Ok. Everything is connected and working.

However, when volume is turned all the way down, I have a fairly loud hiss - no matter the audio source.

Would this suggest I have a bad ground?

If not, suggestions of what might be causing the hiss.

Second, while I have everything apart, I think I need to add a sub. Sounds good by it is missing the low end.

I was thinking about powered subs - any suggestions? I don't want to give up a cubby behind the seat.

Thanks.

• I'm no expert, but with I installed my amp, it said to turn down all my gains and slowly turn them up for the best sound. With the volume up all the way, start to turn the gains up just until you hear a hiss. The pros will step up shortly and take care of you.

• Where did you ground the amp? This could be an issue, but likely not.

A hiss is somewhat common with a decent head unit and can even be compounded with upgraded speakers. What you may be hearing are the extremely high frequencies that the crappy stock head unit and speakers weren't really capable of reproducing. Chances are nothing is wrong with your wiring or the head unit itself. As long as you aren't hearing the hiss at any reasonable volume that is your answer, as crazy as it may seem... turn the head unit volume up or hit the mute key. No real reason to have the volume at 1 or 2 anyways.

• Thanks for the replies.

I have a JL amp and the Clarion head unit.

I had the gain all the way up on the amp for all three channels and the hiss was fairly strong.

Based on @Shatneyman'a post, I can turn the gain on the amp channels almost off and no hiss is heard.

The hiss is in all 6 channels and not a specific speaker.

The 4 AWG ground is under the bolt for the seat and is secured very well.

I may not have the best ground connection on / in the amp. I will strip a little more insulation off and get more of the wire in the amp.

Will try that tomorrow.

• Frame ground right?

• The ground is sandwiched between the seat mount and the frame and held down with the bolt used to secure the seat to the frame.

Is that correct / OK?

Yep, that should be good. If you have a small wire brush or wire wheel for a dremel, you may want to make sure there is some bare metal just to ensure good contact and solid ground.

• Now i may be showing my age a little here,
    But "back in the day" we used to put filters on the power supply to our fantastic state of the art amps in the 80's to try to eliminate alternator electrical "noise"
    Do they not do those anymore? or are they "built in" now a days?
    Also, not a big aftermarket audiophile. Stock is usually what i listen to when it is even turned on.

• Tonight I will use the Dremel tool to remove the paint where the ground connects to the frame and make sure I have a solid bite on the ground connection in the amp.

Been shopping compact subs this AM. Might as well do it now that everything is apart and have easier access.

BTW - introduced the new sound setup to my wife last night by playing Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing song cranked way up.

BIG smile and at the end of the song she says "Wow, that's great, I really like that!"

Another wife approved mod! Hope she says the same thing about the SC later this spring. :thumbsup: