Super or Turbo Charger for MyToy

• Let me be real clear about superchargers. They are hands down one of the best ways to add boost to a stock engine. They are the easiest to tune. They are the cleanest to install and maintain. And they always deliver the exact same power over and over based on rpm.

And then their are those crazy turbo guys - who just like to push things past the point of smart and into the fun zone!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I do want to correct something that was brought to my attention. And they were absolutely correct. The stock ecu can be programmed for much higher boost levels. It would just require a 3 or 4 bar MAP sensor. Then it would just require Bob to tune it based on the values it is receiving from those map sensors. We just have never needed this capability. I haven't see a slingshot that needed to run over 17 pounds of boost yet. And based on what we know from Bob and real world experience we know there are a few PSI of leeway on the 2bar tune. So we have everything we need except fuel. Fuel is the real killer when you are getting way up in the 14, 15, and higher pressure levels. I showed that it can momentarily supply fuel for a 500hp pull but not more than a second.

• Ok so basically that number was sort of a like a hail mary gamble flip a coin type of situation that you lucked out(no offence meant) and your running HP is more like 430 or so according to a video i saw of you when you were testing the setup.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Yep. I will dial it in next week for a dependable daily 450 to 475hp. That is what I have gotten used to. And it's pretty much easy to do with all the stuff I have now.

500hp as a daily dependable driver on these engines is doable but I don't think it's ever going to happen without a return to tank fuel system.

• Ok so basically that number was sort of a like a hail mary gamble flip a coin type of situation that you lucked out(no offence meant) and your running HP is more like 430 or so according to a video i saw of you when you were testing the setup.

We actually got it up to 470hp but I dialed it back a pound. No reason to run the raggedy edge.

• @rabtech have you thought about trying alphas street exhaust I believe that's what they call it I usually just refer to it as the stock turbo exhaust.wondering if that would help with restriction. me and a few others will be receiving motors from alpha very soon wondering what type of numbers ill see with the more open exhaust and built motor

• @rabtech have you thought about trying alphas street exhaust I believe that's what they call it I usually just refer to it as the stock turbo exhaust.wondering if that would help with restriction. me and a few others will be receiving motors from alpha very soon wondering what type of numbers ill see with the more open exhaust and built motor

I have a neat little trick up my sleeve for the exhaust. I will have pictures as soon as Dave gets done with it.

• @rabtech I have a pretty good idea what you may be talking about I spoke to a vendor about it a while back ago I believe one of the vendors maybe have one installed on their boosted sling I've only seen one and it was manual. I assume u may be doing a powered or electric version. Which ever terminology is preferred

• I will have one that opens at a particular boost level. And when I want it to stay shut I am going to have a 12v solenoid that closes the vacuum line and stops the boost reference from getting to the actuator. And when I want it to be active I'll flip the switch and it will open the solenoid and allow the pressure to make it to the actuator and open the flap.

That way I can still pound on the gas and keep it clised. Sometimes you just want to have stealth.

• No, Turbos and superchargers are identical in risk. 8psi is 8psi.
    Both are safe if they are setup to put out no more than 300hp.

(as safe as any other modification that squeezes more air in an engine)

I'm glad someone finally said it a lot of guys thinking that the SC route is bullet proof not the case at all the motor has its limits whether it's SC or turbo. You can blow the motor with either

• I'm glad someone finally said it a lot of guys thinking that the SC route is bullet proof not the case at all the motor has its limits whether it's SC or turbo. You can blow the motor with either

I would not have said the SC is bullet proof. There is just less of a risk of something going wrong with a SC and over boosting or going lean. I have been running about 11 psi now for a bit, and I am very confident in it. And with the new cams that boost will be producing where I want to be for my driving style, 360 to 380. We will see how long I make it on a stock motor with APR studs.

• I would not have said the SC is bullet proof. There is just less of a risk of something going wrong with a SC and over boosting or going lean. I have been running about 11 psi now for a bit, and I am very confident in it. And with the new cams that boost will be producing where I want to be for my driving style, 360 to 380. We will see how long I make it on a stock motor with APR studs.

At 11psi just make sure you keep some really premium gas in it. :-)

It's not the head studs that will save you. It's the ring grooves that will release and knock the top off.

• At 11psi just make sure you keep some really premium gas in it. :-)

It's not the head studs that will save you. It's the ring grooves that will release and knock the top off.

I have also followed the recommendations from DDM with the oil cooler and coolant re-route. Totally agree, good gas always!

• Lol love the memes! Ok... from my understanding. A Supercharger is a safer bet on the engine while the turbo can be more problematic if you do not have a built engine. Would you find that this is accurate information?

To me... the real question is... Which is more fun? I don't care about top end speed (I have bikes for that) I want more power into the corners and on take off. I like to "slide". In otherwords, i like to bang gears in the SS compared to hitting 75-80 and staying in 5th.

@rabtech @Rob @WraithSS @Bill Martin

@Mateo I'm probably 5-6 miles away from you if you want to see an Alpha SC installed and go for a little ride...

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.