SSVWorks headrest speaker boxes

• When replacing the speakers in the factory pods, do I need to change all 3 or just the 5 1/4 and not use the others? Advise and wisdom is awesome so far. Plus, that's a total of 6 speakers I want to run, any advise on amp? More then 4 channels

If you are retaining your factory pods then yes you really need to change all 3. The smallest is the tweeter for high frequencies, the medium sized one is a midrange for mid freq. and the largest is for low freqs. Anything you don't change or any speaker you don't hook up to an amp is just going to take away from the quality of sound all of your new/amplified equipment is putting out.

• If you are retaining your factory pods then yes you really need to change all 3.

Thank you sir, I want to do it right. I want the front to stay normal,... just better, the side, near your butt, I want, like mini subs,.. if possible, and the rear would be regular normal speakers. This new rear speaker pod has me foaming for a nice set up.

• Thank you sir, I want to do it right. I want the front to stay normal,... just better, the side, near your butt, I want, like mini subs,.. if possible, and the rear would be regular normal speakers. This new rear speaker pod has me foaming for a nice set up.

No problem @Shatneyman I agree your sound system is something you only want to do once and with the factory Sling there are only so many places you can put speakers without compromising storage space. @Tripod s shopping list looks to be good quality at an affordable price as well as compact. On the other hand @rabtech s system is kickazz if you really want to pump out some sound. The bottom line there are hundreds of choices out there so you really need to decide how much you want to spend and shop accordingly. But the one thing I am definitely going to do, atleast with the speakers, like @Neosolidus suggested is stick with marine grade. It's a slight compromise with sound reproduction but they are alot more durable in less than desirable weather conditions. You can do this and if you run into a snag there are plenty members on here more than willing to help. :thumbsup:

• @Shatneyman, I used these 2-way speakers (Amazon.com: Pyle PLMR51B Dual 5.25'' Waterproof Marine Speakers, 2-Way Full Range Stereo Sound, 100 Watt, Black (Pair): Car Electronics...) to replace the 5.25" speakers in the Polaris speaker pods and then disconnected the wiring for the remaining two speakers, but left them installed so there wouldn't be any empty holes. The two-way speakers have their own built-in crossover and effectively perform the same functions the 3 original Polaris-supplied speakers do. As far as the amplifier is concerned, a two-way speaker will appear to the amp to be a single speaker. The Rockford-Fosgate speakers @rabtech referred to earlier are 3-way units which appear to the amp as a single speaker.
    Generally speaking, the most number of channels you can find in a single amp would be a 4 + 1 amp, meaning it can handle 2 Front channel speakers (Left + Right), 2 rear Speakers (Left + Right) and a sub-woofer. When using more speakers than that, you will need a second amp unless you want to try wiring multiple speakers to a single channel, but calculating the loads that places on the amp can get tricky. If your amp can handle a 2 Ohm speaker, you can usually wire 2 x 4 Ohm speakers in parallel and the amp will see that as a 2 Ohm speaker. It's easier and safer for your equipment to add a second amp.

4.20.17 - I just noticed I had the wrong link listed above. I actually used these speakers - Amazon.com: BOSS AUDIO SK553 Phantom Skull 3-Way Black Injection Cone Speakers with Custom Tooled Skull Cover (5.25"): Electronics, although the ones listed above will fit, too. The o problem I had with the Boss Skull speakers was I removed the rubber boot around the magnet to make the speakers fit w/o using a spacer. I don't know if the rubber boot had some magnetic particles in it or not, but when I tried to use the Skull speakers in the factory pods and the new SSVWorks hoop pods driven by a Boss Bluetooth amp that lacked any Fader controls and I couldn't hear the front speakers at all. I now have Lanzar AQR80B round marine radio that has Balance and Fader controls that allow me to adjust the front vs rear volumes to appropriate levels so I can hear my 4" front speakers mounted in VersaPods on top of the and the Rockforg Fosgate 6.5" speakers in the hoop pods. The Lanzar radio actually has a video display capability on its 3" screen, but I'm not using the video capability because it's a PITA to get everything setup and there isn't any way to simply use the display by shifting into Reverse, for example. At least not as far as I'm aware of.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Is there enough clearance for all Slings, regardless of seats for things under there? For example, stock seats, PRP seats, Cipher seats???

I have Cipher seats with the planted brackets... Do I have clearance for an amp down there?

• Is there enough clearance for all Slings, regardless of seats for things under there? For example, stock seats, PRP seats, Cipher seats???

I have Cipher seats with the planted brackets... Do I have clearance for an amp down there?

You have more clearance. The planted/sparco brackets sit a bit higher than the factory brackets. PRP uses the factory brackets so it would be the same amount of clearance as stock seats.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I thought I would share a few pics of the factory pods I took today for those that haven't seen them with the speakers taken out to better understand the challenges of adding a bigger/deeper speaker.
    Sorry about the quality of the pics I was in a hurry...

The first pic shows the "frame tunnel" which is the main obstruction

The second pic shows the depth of the pod itself

The third pic shows the depth to the frame tunnel obstruction

I'm hoping this helps explain the need for shallow speakers and or spacer rings. :thumbsup:

• OK, this what I was thinking,...

Alpine MRV-F300 4-Channel Car Amplifier, 50 Watts RMS x 4. mounted under the seat.

JVC CS-DR6201MW 6-1/2 Inch 2-Way Coaxial Speakers White, these are gong in the rear pods on 1 channel

2) Pyle PLG64 6.5" 600 Watt Car Mid Bass/Midrange Subwoofers Subs Power Speakers, these would go in the side pods, each on their own channel

2) NEW BOSS NX524 5.25" 300W 4-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers Stereo Black 4 Ohm, these would go to the front pods, both on 1 channel.
    Will that set up work? Is the amp big enough? Can I put 2 speakers on 1 channel?

• No, well yes you can but they have to be two rights or two lefts not two front or two back. And you have to match the ohm rating of the speakers to that of the amp. Like what @BKL said in post #165.
    "If your amp can handle a 2 Ohm speaker, you can usually wire 2 x 4 Ohm speakers in parallel and the amp will see that as a 2 Ohm speaker. It's easier and safer for your equipment to add a second amp."

• Hey @rabtech was there a reason why you didn't use the SSV sub box and decided to mount the JLs directly on the doors?

I am going for just one sub and debating on whether to get the SSV sub box or go your route...

Cause when I did the subs it was still the year 2014..... Seriously....

• Someone post what these pods look like with prp seats. I think i need a set of these.

OK, I'll post in a couple weeks when mine come in :D I have no clue how to hook this stuff up. Guess I have a lot of research to do! Do you agree that my setup will work? If so, I'll order everything including pods tonight. Thanks guys with your patients.

• @Shatneyman That could be tricky with that amp since you are trying to force 6 speakers into an amp designed for 4.

The only way to make it happen without making changes to the hardware would be to wire front pod and middle pod in parallel to get a 2 Ohm load but that would mean using your Boss and JVC speakers and hook them as Front channel, then put your Pyle "subs" in the headpods and hook them to the rear channel.

Here are a few problems(in my opinion) I dislike matching load(your front would be 2 Ohms/ Rear 4 Ohms) some amps tend to go haywire/crap out when stressed on miss matched loads yours might work ok, i don't know since i have never used it.

if it was me and I was forced to do it with just 1 amp, I would make sure that the rear speakers/subs are 2ohm rather than 4 so i can match loads.

Personally i would get another amp even if it is a cheap chinese throw away to make this setup work.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.