SSVWorks headrest speaker boxes

• That is a T8. tiny little guy. Why are you pulling it? External Crossover maybe?

ROGER That, I went to buddy's shop, yup the tiny bastard I didn't have...I can't say anything cause Im known as a tease...Just changing the look of a few things :D

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• ROGER That, I went to buddy's shop, yup the tiny bastard I didn't have...I can't say anything cause Im known as a tease...Just changing the look of a few things :D

ROGER That, I went to buddy's shop, yup the tiny bastard I didn't have...I can't say anything cause Im known as a tease...Just changing the look of a few things :D

LOL... nice post pics. Now you got me interested to see it
    Trevor

• Okay. I have gone through this complete thread for a total of five times...and I have still not found the answer to my predicament. When all else fails, reach out to the experts...or at least, "seasoned veterans" of stereo install!

Let me set this one up by saying, I currently have the Clarion CMS5 Stereo with the six speaker/one subwoofer setup. I also have the Clarion XC2110 Single Channel (Subwoofer) Amp.

I'm looking at purchasing the SSV Headrest Pods and putting Memphis MCX60 6.5" 2-Way Oversized Coaxial Speakers in them. Recently heard them when my wife and I did a pop up visit with @Bill Martin and his lovely Bride in Lake Charles. LOVE the sound!!! Let me get back on track.

Like I sad before, I already have a single-channel Amp for the Sub. So I am looking at purchasing either another single-channel Clarionamp and splicing the two headrest speakers together to run from that amp or purchasing a multi-channel Clarion amp and running the headrest speakers that way.

This is my question...specifically for anyone out there operating the Clarion CMS5 System...
    Does the current wiring harness for this system allow for an additional amp to be tied in?

This is the connection diagram for the Clarion harness...

And this is the Clarion XC2410 4-Channel Amp...

Other than the obvious (powering the amp) should I not be able to connect the RCA plugs from the Amp to any of the open RCA plugs (labeled LINE OUT) on the Stereo harness? If that is the case, I'm pretty comfortable doing the install. I just want to make sure this can be done before I throw about $500 at one of our vendors.

Any help I can get, before pulling the trigger on this one, would be greatly appreciated.

• Shot,

I believe what you are saying is you have 4 speakers (maybe with 2 tweeters or 2 subs) currently wired to the amp in the CMS5, and the subwoofer separate amp. If correct then below......sorry if not..

There are a few variables. The sub amp could be wired to the CMS 5 pre amp output, or could be using 1 set of two main preamp outs ( a front and a rear) from the main CMS5. Either way, assuming my first statement is correct, you should have AT LEAST one set of preamp outs remaining. You will also have a second "Zone", an artifact of the CMS5 being marine. The Zone is so that you could use speakers outside the boot, and inside, and control levels separately.

As for buying a single channel amp and wiring both headrest speakers to it, I strongly recommend against it. Single channels amps are for subwoofers in base applications.

This said, the clarion amp you have pictured is a 4 channel amp, which is good. You would use 2 of the channels (one right, one left) to wire to the headrest speakers. Ideally, you would use the other channel to run to the "front" speakers. What I do not know is the impedance rating of the front speakers, and it is key since you have 2 "fronts" per channel. To work, you would have to wire the two fronts (per channel) in parallel, and connect to the remaining clarion amp channel. That will present 2 Ohms to the amp. Alternately, you could only connect the new clarion amp to 2 of the front speakers you mention.

I know above sounds confusing, but it does get somewhat complex with multiple amps and many speakers. to be as simple as I can.

I would do following:
    I would use the CMS5 subwoofer line outs (purple) and connect to your sub amp.
    I would use the Grey line outs and connect to the Front left/right of the new Clarion 4 channel amp (The 410you have shown, not the equivalent of the sub amp). This front speaker outputs of the amp would be wired in parallel to the two front speaker on each side. Parallel meaning the speaker plus goes to plus on second speaker then plus on Amp. Vice versa for negative.
    I would use the black preamp outs to the rear channel of the new amp, and wire that to the headrest speakers. You will found the headrest speakers appear much louder, so will need to work with front/rear fade.

Above is how I have mine, works pretty well although I am using a JL Audio AMP.

You do mention 6 speakers now...not sure what those are unless two are tweeters.

If my first assumption is wrong, and you have a sub amp PLUS an external amp, you may be able to still make it work. If the case, I could look at the amp specs and see if it allows a 2 channel input into the amp, with 4 channels out -- likely does. If so, you would set front amp in that fashion using the front preamps, then use the rear for the new amp (and in this case you would only need a 2 channel for the 3 read headrest speakers.

If you let us know what speakers you have now, and what amps, could likely draw out a diagram. Need to know speaker make/model and where, amp(s) make/model, and could suggest from there.

• @McClendons, thanks for the response. Maybe I should have clarified. The sub and the other speakers are already in the Sling and wired for sound!! Pardon the pun! I'm just looking to add the Headrest Speakers, and a 2-channel amp to push 'em. The 4-channel Clarion seemed to fit the bill...at the time. I would only need 2 channels to push the 2 headrest. Just wondering if I can just add another amp to the existing Clarion harness. Does this explanation change things a little?

• @V-SHOT, your Clarion amp should have a line out I believe, and yes, I would think you add plug your new amp to the line out from there... Or the head unit (if it has another line out) so you can control fade, balance, etc if possible.

@TheRock, what say you?

GREAT!!! Just what I needed to know! Making the purchase now!!! I almost went into "MOD WITHDRAWALS" waiting for you guys to help me spend money!!!!! :00008040::00008172:

• I would recommend that you use one amp to drive the front speakers and the headrest pod speakers. Then use the other amp to drive the subs. But I think the heart of your question was can you add a second amp??

• VShot, The only nuance to above, and I probably dove deeper into it than needed....

Are the current speakers wired to the CMS5's internal amp (it has frt and rear speaker outs), or a separate amp like the sub is? This is important for 2 reasons. First, how current preamp outs on the CMS 5 are used (it has 1 sub, 4 main (frt/rear 2 each), and 2 for a 2nd zone. Most important though: If current speakers are wired to the internal CMS5 clarion amp, and you add an amp for the rear headrest speakers, you will not hear the current speakers at all (practically).

The internal amp in stereos are typically underpowered, and the CMS 5 is no exception. They give them high ratings, but not really true. The ratings used on separate amps are much more realistic, with exception of crap amps.

If you are buying the 4 channel amp you mention, there is no doubt it will work. The question becomes how you wire it given current set up. Could mean rewiring what you have now for best sound if you are now using the amp in the CMS5 itself. If the case, if you post what you have now (equipment type and speakers type) it is easy to draw a schematic of how to best wire it with new speakers/amp. Many on board can help sketch it out if needed.

What I found on mine: It is key you have control of balance, because the rear headrest speakers are right in your ears. Also, I tried some simple tweeters off of the the internal CMS5 amp, useless as I mentioned above, and tweeters do not need allot of power.

Sorry if I was confusing before, I just learned by trail and error, easiest to wire right the first time. TheRocks comments about using 1 amp for all main speakers though is most straight forward.......

• @McClendons, the Connection Diagram above is exactly how my system is hooked up. The 2110 Amp, for the sub, utilizes purple line out RCA plug . I traced the wiring last night and this morning just to be sure. My thinking was, since there are three remaining LINE OUT RCA jacks, I could utilize either the GREY, BLACK, or GREEN LINE OUT jacks to feed the 2410 Amp for the Headrest Speakers. What I am gathering from other contributing Forum posters is that I should also connect my front speakers to the 2410 Amp to balance out the sound from the Headrest Speakers. Although I don't have any issue with that, I was just curious about losing the current balance I have. The front cabin speakers sound great on the current set up.
    I current run the 1st Gen. SSV Works Front and Side Speaker Pods, with the Sub (behind the Driver's seat). The 2110 is under the Driver's side seat, as well. My plan is to put the 2410 under the Passenger's seat, and fish the Headrest Speaker wires to that side, while routing all the wiring for the Amp up the right hand side, behind the existing speakers and back to the Harness. Make sense?

• Think I have it now, in that case you will run two new sets of RCA cables (from the grey and the black) to the new amp, and then wire all speakers except sub (including current) to the new amp. The current speakers should be the front amp output, and the new headrest to the rear....with that, you have fade through the CMS5. The sub should be left as wired.

It sounds like currently you have the CMS5 amp running the current speakers (minus amp) since you say three remains RCAs. If you just hook the new amps to headrest speakers and keep the CMS 5 internal amp, the balance will be way off.

• Think I have it now, in that case you will run two new sets of RCA cables (from the grey and the black) to the new amp, and then wire all speakers except sub (including current) to the new amp. The current speakers should be the front amp output, and the new headrest to the rear....with that, you have fade through the CMS5. The sub should be left as wired.

It sounds like currently you have the CMS5 amp running the current speakers (minus amp) since you say three remains RCAs. If you just hook the new amps to headrest speakers and keep the CMS 5 internal amp, the balance will be way off.

This is exactly what i needed to know. I had thought of just hooking up the Headrest Speakers to the new Amp and being done with it. But if the balance is going to be that far out of alignment, I might as well take the extra time and do it right.

Man, my mods are starting to pile up on me. I'm not even half-way through the LED project. I still have the Laser Cuts to do on the front. There's the Neutrino Box to install, and the Anti-Sway Bar Collars. Now, I'm preparing the Sling for the Headrest Speakers, Amp...and possible Carbon Fiber inserts!!!!! Did I say Carbon Fiber!!!!! Yes, I did!! @av8ingtom stopped by today to show me his Domed Carbon Fiber work on his SLR. My wife "just happened" to be outside when he showed up!!!! Need I say anything else!?!?!

We've got another "excursion" planned for next weekend that is going to further delay all of my installs. Two short weeks after that, we head off to Clarksville for another FINE event championed by "my brother from another mother", @MACAWS!!! Slingshots Uncorked. Then, at the end of May, it's off to Slingshots in the Smokies!!! Guys, I've GOT to get a move on!!! So, if you guys don't hear from me...I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I'll be catching up and hopefully moving forward with the installs.

Hey @KayTwo, when Velma and I get back from running around Italy, and if you are looking for a place to hang out when the family is still getting settled, and you are between assignments...come on over! I would love the company, and could probably use a second set of hands. @av8ingtom, @DarkSquid, @Bear, @Slej, and my brothers to the North...if you guys are up for it...I'll keep the beer on ice!!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for all the input and support. See you all in a bit!!!! :thumbsup:

• You know I am always willing to help out. Just let me know when. My shop is always available. Still need to get @DarkSquid shocks installed also. Text me or call if you need anything.

• Count me in brother. I'll be happy to lend a hand and help with the beer ;)

US Navy 1990-2015
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
    better than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We
    seek not your council nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds
    you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

--Samuel Adams