Where Did You Take Your Slingshot Today?

• Took the Sling to see Mom & Dad. They are in assisted living in Pennsylvania. Delivered some home made zucchini bread made with the first pick from our garden. Couldn't get in to see them but was able to call the front desk and have them pick it up. Wore a mask, of course. I was able to call the parents on the phone and talk outside their window. They love the slingshot! Over 400 mile round trip but worth it. Picture is in the town of Tamaqua, a Central Pennsylvania coal mining town. Its an old train station turned into a restaurant.

• We needed butter and eggs and milk. There is a Kwik Star a mile from us.

So, we went south and east and north and west. Hit (or got hit) by a couple of brief rain showers, but only the windshield got wet.

53 miles later, SHAZAAM . . . like magic, we were at the Kwik Star. They had just gotten in some Wisconsin cheese curds, so they were added to our "must have" list.

Best darn grocery getter we have ever had.

Fun attention getter, too. A lady coming out of the Kwik Star said, "I wish they had been around 30 years ago. My new husband and I went to the west coast and back on our honeymoon an a 500 Honda. I'll bet that thing would have been a lot more fun" Then we had to give her the Grand Tour. Offered her a ride, but she had to get going.

• billythekid, how about comparison? No one can do it better than someone who owns and rides both. Take as much room as you need. (Not my server, what do I care?)

Other than they are both a Y trike... there is no comparison.

The Can-Am is more like a motorcycle trike in that you ride on it and not in it. The Can-AM is cooler since you ride on it and have more wind around you. As we were coming home today we hit a good down pour and the Spyder didn't hydroplane even at 75 mph. It has some decent electronics on it and one feature I like is when you phone is bluethoothed to the dash and a call comes in the picture that you have in your contacts appears on the dash of the bike. I like that at a gas station I can still go between pumps to the other side (like on a 2 wheeler) and not have to wait for a pump to clear. The Spyders come with a 6 speed semi automatic shifter and full reverse. It has paddle shifters so you can shift up and down as you wish. You must shift from 1st to 2nd and up to 6th, but if you don't do anything it will automatically downshift so when you stop you are always in 1st. Some of the early bikes also came with a manual trans. This will do a 0 to 60 in about 5 to 6 seconds and a quarter mile in about 14.9. (The Spyder F3 is a bit faster in those categories but I do not own that one) Can-Am has a 1330 Rotex engine.. about 100 HP and weighs about 1100 lbs. This is a 2018 Spyder RTL and is the 4th Spyder I have owned. Just like with our Slingshots the first couple of years had a bunch of little things that were problems... My 2011 (13000 miles in 7 months) actually left me stranded... like I have read about where you drive it all day and stop for gas or a bite and go out and it will not start... My 2012 (23000 miles in 11 months) had a few little glitchie things that were all fixed under warranty. My 2014(40000 plus 4 years) only had one issue and it was fixed under warranty. My 2018 has not had any issues so far.

The Slingshot is a bit more fun since you ride in it and it handles corners much better. I get lots of looks and thumbs up (like I did when I had one of the first Spyders here in Colorado) but not so many questions about how much it costs. Power is hands down to the Slingshot.. We all know about the Slingshot so there is no need to go through anything stat wise.

Comfort wise, I have ridden bikes since I was 14 and I believe the Spyder is more comfortable on longer trips. My 2020R does have more room than the 2019 SLR but still at 6'2" after a few hours I feel cramped. As a side note, my 2019 was purchased in Georgia and I live in Colorado so I got a good bit of driving experience right away. It had about 5K when I traded it and the new 2020 has about 1500 miles now. I have ridden both (Spyder and Slingshot) over 700 miles in a day and honestly I was not as tired on the Spyder, but my but hurt more.

TA DA

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

Edited once, last by billythekidd ().

• Thanks, billy. I traded a 2005 Goldwing trike in on the Slingshot. A lot of what you said about the Spyder applys to the Wing. Pretty much stuck in one riding position. Butt gets sore. Trikes corner good, but not even close to a Sling. My bad back finally made me switch. On anything from a scooter to a Wing, after about an hour, I was in pain. Being able to move around a bit in the Sling makes all the difference.

• Thanks, billy. I traded a 2005 Goldwing trike in on the Slingshot. A lot of what you said about the Spyder applys to the Wing. Pretty much stuck in one riding position. Butt gets sore. Trikes corner good, but not even close to a Sling. My bad back finally made me switch. On anything from a scooter to a Wing, after about an hour, I was in pain. Being able to move around a bit in the Sling makes all the difference.

I gave Polaris their first chance when I traded my wing for a Victory Vision... With the Slingshot I am giving them their last chance... If they do to the Sling like they did to Victory.... it will be Bye Bye. After the announcement that they were discontinuing the Victory line you could hardly give away a Victory.. I get the back thing... I have had 4 back surgeries. Two Laminectomys and two Discectomies. I do about a hundred pushups a day for more back strength... Made a big difference.

I agree with the butt gets sore so much... but I think it is because I am a FOG and no longer have much Butt.... :)

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• "I agree with the butt gets sore so much... but I think it is because I am a FOG and no longer have much Butt.... ":)

I have an old AirHawk as a seat cushion on my recliner. If only I could move some belly fat to my butt!! Might have something to do with the RECLINER.

• Went to the beach again this Saturday and was a nice day and the temp's were in 70-80's so rather nice. We are at a stop light in Oceanside and a lady pulls up along side, rolls down ( wait, pushes the button down - showing my age) the widow and says "You two look so cute! Are you newlywed's?" Not sure how to handle this.... I prefer ex-biker bad ass now in a cool looking sling rolling down ol' RT 66 to da beach.... not You two look so cute! Gunna have to digest this.....:/

These guys are READY!

Came across a cool pottery outdoor store in San Juan Capistrano that had a lot of these chairs made out of stumps - way cool!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• To the rest of the Slingshot owners on this forum, some of us do put a bunch of miles on our Sling's. :evil:

And those of us that do love it when others are doing it. I don't think I will be able to catch FunCycle this year. Just may have to take off and drive to the West Coast to see SoCal just to get some miles.

• Last Saturday had a little encounter with a small Jeep SUV... Moving from the left lane to the right we came together.... Poor little Jeep got the worst of the encounter and got the driver side tore up. He caught my wheel (both going the same direction) and a little black place was left on my wheel and 1.5 in of paint missing of the right side above the wheel and you can't see that damage unless I point it out. I got lucky.

Did take the Slingshot in to the dealer and he check it all out. We did do an alignment but that was more time to do it that from the the encounter.

• Last Saturday had a little encounter with a small Jeep SUV... Moving from the left lane to the right we came together.... Poor little Jeep got the worst of the encounter and got the driver side tore up. He caught my wheel (both going the same direction) and a little black place was left on my wheel and 1.5 in of paint missing of the right side above the wheel and you can't see that damage unless I point it out. I got lucky.

Did take the Slingshot in to the dealer and he check it all out. We did do an alignment but that was more time to do it that from the the encounter.

Glad all is well!

Glad everyone involved was fine & no injuries. Things can be replaced - YOU can’t be, Brother.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014